Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone,

My wife dropped our iPad2 64GB 3G this morning. Glass is broken and case is dented :mad:. I have an appointment at my local Apple Store this evening. I have an Apple Care warranty on the product, but, I highly doubt they will help me out.

Has anyone else had to replace the glass on their iPad2 yet? If so, how much did you have to pay?

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Hey everyone,

My wife dropped our iPad2 64GB 3G this morning. Glass is broken and case is dented :mad:. I have an appointment at my local Apple Store this evening. I have an Apple Care warranty on the product, but, I highly doubt they will help me out.

Has anyone else had to replace the glass on their iPad2 yet? If so, how much did you have to pay?

sad story. sucks man.

you may be surprised at the apple store, maybe you will get lucky...

there are a few firms that replace the glass but i prefer apple. even if it is a little more money, they replace the unit, rather than the glass (at a cost to you as a warranty replacement).

not read about ipad2 replacement screens - 1, sure. almost makes you want to get third party insurance on these units.

good luck, bro.

jmthigpen

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Charleston, SC
Hey everyone,

make sure you get a good case for the next one :)

like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvZi18yYrQ

megsandbytes

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
Never had anything like this happen before, and I don't know anyone personally who has dealt with a similar situation. I just hope for your sake that it is covered under warranty or it's not too pricey to get fixed. Let us know how it goes!!

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
My wife had it off.....this has ruined my day...

Oh My!

Makes it worse knowing you have a case thats usually on the pad, then the minute it comes off, the pad is dropped. Now, every time u look at the dent, u have to wonder if this situation would have occured if the case had not been taken off.

Dont u just hate wives some times.

That Sucks!

pcs626

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
don't let it ruin your day - in the end, it's just an ipad.

check to see what Apple can do, and next time get the ADD insurance on it. By chance did you buy it on a credit card that gives you damage/loss/theft coverage for the first 60/90 days?

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Hey everyone,

I really doubt they'll cover it, or fix it. So you'll either pay for another or get a nice genius. I have heard a few times that Apple takes back a certain number of dropped/damaged/broken devices close to their launch so that they can study their durability, etc.

Here's to hoping you get a nice genius!

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Hey everyone,

Same situation here, but Apple is replacing it. I've posted pics on several threads here, but I can't from where I'm posting from now. It's pretty gruesome though.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
OP drops iWife, face broken.

Upgrades to iWife2.

On a more serious note, expect a pretty penny for a glass and digitizer replacement.

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
Apple is usually very nice (genius bar) about making a "first time, one time only" replacement for either 1/2 price or free. They have that ability. If you are very sad and ask nicely they may do it.

worth a try.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Apple is usually very nice (genius bar) about making a "first time, one time only" replacement for either 1/2 price or free. They have that ability. If you are very sad and ask nicely they may do it.

worth a try.

This.

Just be honest, polite and forthright. Goes a long way with them.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles

worth a try.

When I was talking to Apple support, I could have sworn they were talking about $200 or so for the glass only, and possibly a $100 more if the case needed replacing too.

Hard to say since I forgot about it when my call got bumped to a Sr. Advisor who waived all repair charges. Apple does charge a 50% MSRP flat rate repair charge. One other thing to do (mentioned above) is check your credit card terms and look for accidental damage coverage. Quite a few have them - especially rewards cards.

iTunes-Luv

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
USA
If you paid by credit cards, check the policy for accidental damage insurance. You will have to send some pictures, the receipt and wait for weeks. For an iPad 2, I guess it's worth it.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
If you paid by credit cards, check the policy for accidental damage insurance. You will have to send some pictures, the receipt and wait for weeks. For an iPad 2, I guess it's worth it.

I already checked with my credit card company and they do not offer accident protection in my state.

I called the Apple Customer Care center and they were the ones who scheduled the appointment at my local Apple Store for me. I told them the truth....my wife dropped in in a parking lot.

I just got it 2 weeks ago and I purchased an Apple Care protection plan. I hope they realize that I have already spent a boat load of $$ on it and they help me out. Afterall, it is the 64GB 3G version.

I looked into the Cyber Acoustics case, it is seems damn good. If I can get my screen fixed, I am buying it. At this point, another $40 is a drop in the bucket.

Anyone know how I can upload a pic?

Smoothness

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Nj
don't let it ruin your day - in the end, it's just an ipad.

check to see what Apple can do, and next time get the ADD insurance on it. By chance did you buy it on a credit card that gives you damage/loss/theft coverage for the first 60/90 days?

No, its not just an ipad.

if it was an ipad 16 gig, he bought 2 weeks ago i woulda been like ok. that sucks. but OP says its the ipad 2 64 gig 3g...over 800 dollars.

I'd be pissed.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Hey everyone,

I dropped mine on the corner, ceramic tile floor. Glass cracked. I met the Genius next day and told him that I never dropped my iPad 1 but managed to drop this one. He mentioned the cost of replacing at $400. He told me that AppleCare doesn't cover damage. He appreciated my honesty and said that everyone is entitled to an "awe shoot". It was replaced free. :D I was so thrilled that I bought an iPad 2 dock.

diamondschwin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
My wife just recently had a shattered iphone replaced for free. specific mention was made of the fact that she had the extended warranty. its not near launch day for the iphone at all, in fact she even had water damage on top of that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.