wife swapping

Discussion in 'Community' started by question fear, Sep 29, 2004.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    I am watching the wife swapping show on ABC, and I just wanted to voice how utterly disgusted I am.
    There are several demeaning factors:
    1) The implication in the show is that the wives are integral to their children's and families well-being and in the case of one family, the only person who can cook and clean.
    2) The idea that women's lives outside of any family life are so small and useless that they can take time out of their lives to lead another family, but the men have to continue their businesses and lives.
    3) The vaguely misappropriated swinger terminology. It's just plain creepy.

Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004

Don't watch it. I am not trying to be a smart ass, but it is so clearly evident that it is a stupid show that I don't know why you would even waste your time on it.
  3. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    there's another show like that?! ive seen the one on fox and i really dont like it but i cant understand why we need two shows like that...
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    If you don't like these reality shows.

Just watch the upcoming cartoon-based reality show...

Of course that may even be too much reality for some people.
  5. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    What happened to the sanctity of marriage that everyone's been complaining about protecting? Hypocrites. :rolleyes:
  6. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    thats just retarded i cant believe this show go approval
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I've never even heard of it, and don't really know what it's all about, but I hate it anyway. The thread title makes it sound like they're making marriage seem like a tangible thing that you can hand off to someone else. You can't hand off love. We have enough crap on TV that makes marriage look bad ----- every dad/man is an incompetent, lazy idiot, and every wife is a b****. We don't need another show that makes marriage seem like hell.
  8. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    oh if you were married to my wife you would ;)
  9. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Reality TV is crap. Except for The Amazing Race. I quite enjoy that show.
  10. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    its called wife swap here in england.... wife swapping however means something a whole lot sinister :O
  11. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Why do they call this genre "reality TV?" The people who agree to appear on these shows might not be paid actors, but the situations devised for them to exist in are so contrived and divorced from the reality of Life that the one thing they most definitely do not reflect is "reality."

All that being said, I like that ABC show on Sundays, Extreme Home Makeover, or whatever it's called. This is the one where they rebuild or fix up someone's house for them, usually for folks who have suffered some loss or set back, but who apear to be very deserving of some help. It's really cool that they do such a great thing for some deserving families. I hope they don't exploit this too much. This is the one "reality" show that leaves me feeling good about humanity. The rest can go rot.

just my two Lincolns.
  12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Another idiotic idea, IMHO.

I can't wait until the Reality Show Craze is OVER! Not because I'm bombarded with them on TV (I don't have TV), but because I'm forced to endure the constant chatter about them in the workplace. Ugh. :rolleyes:
  13. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Despite the title, it's not really "wife swapping" as they simply exchange families for a week or something like that. It's more like having an exchange student or something.

Except as question fear noted, it assumes that the women are the only ones capable of managing families. I'm tired of men being portrayed as morons.
  14. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    I'm not. Makes people expect less from me. :D
  15. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    I remember thinking something similar about the game show craze, when 'Millionaire' and 'Weakest Link' were all the rage. Little did I know that game show crap was about to be replaced by reality show crap.

Be careful what you wish for. Once the reality show trend has run its course, it will just be succeeded by an equally lame idea that every network will clone and push on us.
  16. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    yea, it is definitely more family swapping. but its still creepy.
    at least they stay in separate rooms....or so they film it as :)
  17. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Up next on ABC/Fox:

A full hour of "Salary Swapping"
    Followed by a half-hour of "Pet Swapping"
    Followed by a one and a half hour special "Gender Swapping"
    Later tonight, after [insert failed late-night host here], "Saliva Swapping".
  18. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Yeah, I'd agree with that notion. It is exactly like an exchange student deal. I think the title is just to get people to take notice and tune in.
  19. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    They call it "reality TV", because they don't use paid actors (except for the winners of the contrived contests), and it is so successful for the studios because they can drastically reduce production costs (no actors getting paid $2 million per episode vs one winner getting $ 1million after 16 episodes) and the large audiences attract large ad revenues.
  20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I swapped mine for a bag of marbles and a conker... :D
  21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    See, that's what divorce is for.
    As tired as women are of getting stuck with all that stuff by default, I'm sure. It's just another reason not to get married, as far as I'm concerned.
  22. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Maybe in your neck of the woods, but most of my friends and relatives have a pretty equal sharing of housework, etc. With both people working, kids, etc., there's no other way.
  23. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    My wife and I both work, but we are trying to save some money so she can quit her job, and open her own business. She wants to be at home with our daughter. The thing that amazes us is the backlass that women get when they want to stay home. They are treated like they are some stupid mindless object by those that would have them work.

To each their own I say.
  24. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Well first - more power to her (and you) and good luck with the new business!

Secondly, it's amazing how many people would comment that my wife would go back to work after our second child, as if she were abandoning them or something. Me, it's okay. Her? Sacrilege. I guess it's just who you talk to...
  25. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    I'm getting a Powerbook for my wife.

Great swap huh?!!! :D