wifi card for imac G5 desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by roobarb, Jul 16, 2006.

1. roobarb macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2006
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    No, your iMac does not have the appropriate PCMCIA slot for the card. You would need a 15" or 17" PowerBook to use it.
  3. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005

That is a PCMCIA card, which is for notebooks; for most 'normal' desktops including Power Macs you'd need a PCI card... however I think the iMac has a a specific slot for the Airport Extreme card, so I'm not sure if you can use anything else. (I might be wrong though)

There's some info on the Apple Support pages about DIY replacement parts. Might be worth searching the Apple discussion forums or a more extensive search of this board to find out if anyone has fitted any other wifi card.
  4. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Here's a pic of the card that goes into the iMac G5 slot. It's got exactly the same chipset as the Dell one, but it's a different interface and size.
  5. jsfpa macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2003
    I thought the iMac G5 came with an airport card already installed.
    Anybody know for sure?
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    It was optional on some Revision A models ... starting with Revision B, both AE and BT2 became standard features, according to Apple-History.com....
  7. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Optional on the first release; included as standard with the revision B onwards.
  8. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    The way I always remember it too, (as I occasionally get asked this, for iMacs only oddly enough too), is for anything before the 1GHz G4, it's Airport or Airport Extreme and card adapter, 1GHz and later, Airport Extreme.

While some non-Airport cards do work with certain models, I would always stick with Airport when possible. Costs may appear cheaper, but Airport configures and works so much better.