WiFi Connections..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mammoth, May 28, 2006.

1. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Okay.. I'm on my mom's Macbook and have set up a wireless network on our Windows PC, which is wired to our router. The problem is that the wireless network does not show up under the list of availible networks. Should I turn on personal file sharing, Windows file sharing, etc; or do something else?

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Check thru the settings on the PC for the network. If SSID (the name of the network) is set to "Don't broadcast" (the more secure option) then it won't show up automatically, you'll have to type it in under Airport > Other.

Other possibilities include that it has MAC address filtering set, so that only devices with particular hardware addresses can connect, or that Airport is not working - check under Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info > Airport to see if the mac side is happy with itself.

The Firewall settings (on the mac) shouldn't alter your ability to connect to the network, only for the network to be able to connect to you.

The wireless network is broadcasted out of the router, right? or directly from the PC? (in which case there might be Windows Firewall issues...