WiFi for 867 PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by budaapple, Jan 14, 2005.

1. budaapple macrumors regular

Does anyone know which brand PCMCIA WiFi card will work in an older Powerbook. It will take the older wifi Airport card internally but I want to go 80211-G with a pc card. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Is this the 12 incher?

If it is, the airport extreme card works.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I don't think an "older" (depending on what that means) PB will take an extreme. Most likely it will take the slower "AirPort" card.

4. gangst macrumors 6502a

as long as your PB has a PCMIA slot, you can buy wireless G cards from apple ,

5. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

no no no

You cannot buy wireless G cards from Apple which support the older PCMCIA slot of a Ti Book or G3 Book.

There are only two companies (that I know of which sells compatible OS X 10.2.6+ cards.

Sonnet and Gigadesigns. I have the Giga in a PB wallstreet and it is fully supported (no drivers needed) under 10.3.7. I also have a Linksys which has the correct chipset (broadcom) but it is no longer sold.

Apple only sells the ALU powerbook G cards these days.

6. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

7. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I'm using an Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card and drivers from www.ioxperts.com .

Works great, seems to have good reception - although I don't have much to compare it to.