WiFi Headaches?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by gers84, Dec 13, 2006.

1. gers84 macrumors member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6172257.stm

Is their any truth in these claims?

I work in a office with a wifi network and leave every day with a headache?
    Although i reckon it has more to do with me hatting my job than Wifi Waves cooking my brain :eek:

2. bartelby macrumors Core

The only exposure I have to WiFi is at home and in one cafe I got to once or twice a month. I've never noticed headaches.

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

personally I think their bunk, go download a wifi widget and see just how many wifi networks you pick up in your own home. Now think about how many you pass through during the day weather it be at the office or just walking past a coffee shop.

I'd like put a wifi detector on one of these people for a week or two and register just how many times they are in a wifi area and how often they feel the "effects" of being there.

Most of these stories seem to be "we got wifi at home and I started feeling sick, I got rid of it and I'm fine!" when in reality they have probably been exposed to wifi the entire time regardless of if they were running an access point or not.

4. gers84 thread starter macrumors member

Good point i can access three wifi hot spots from my home, and only one at work

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

6. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

We have all sorts of frequencies passing through us every day, Radio, TV, Cell Phones and Wi-Fi, to suggest Wi-Fi is suddenly causing head aches (which could be possible for 'some' people) is a bit of a stretch.

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Other than the monthly migraines, not feeling a damn thing. I wonder if these people realize that radiowaves (such as WiFi and the like) pass through people everyday at a much higher frequency than 2.4 GHz. :rolleyes:

8. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

The kids were probably getting headaches because they were spending too much time in front of the computer screen, thanks to the new wifi :rolleyes:

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

10. imacintel macrumors 68000

I live in calgary as well, and I know we are so huge that there is wifi everywhere. Lately, i have been getting a lot of headaches. Are you? Maybe it has something to do with whether it is in a place with a lot of wireless, or just the occasional wave.(or maybe it is this chinook were having :p)

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

well chinook headaches are quit common in this city. I know I almost always get them at the beginning of a chinook. But unless it's a really strong one it's just a matter of popping a couple aspirin, and hey, I'll pop a couple of pills on tuesday if it means the rest of the week is gonna be +10 degrees in February.

12. imacintel macrumors 68000

Yeah...we are really having un december like weather. Damn you global warming!

anyways, yeah...pills are the answer....

to everything...

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

At my desk, I sit about 2 feet from my wireless router and I never get a headache from it.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I get a headache from fearmongering but not from WiFi devices. ;)

15. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

This is just bull.

I am surrounded by waves of technology everyday -- every MINUTE.

I wear hearing aids, sitting *right* next to my brain. We also have 3 access points.

Never had a head ache - atleast from that.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's also probably worth noting that the brain has no pain receptors in it. ;) So headaches are not generally caused by damage / interference with the brain to begin with, but primarily by vascular dysfunction and/or muscle tension. So if a person has a headache in the presence of a WiFi access point, and it's pain specific to the head, hypochondriasis is *much* more reasonable than any neuropathophysiology... if it were really causing peripheral neuropathy leading to a headache... it should cause pain in other parts of the body as well, shouldn't it?

17. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

oohh no, I've got such a horrible headache since installing wifi in my home, never mind the TEN other access points that are sending waves into my bedroom. I'd better petition the office to have the wifi removed for health reasons! And that community college that my daughter goes to better take there's out too! I don't want her coming home with a wifi "charge" and making me sick

I really do hope some one can do a proper scientific study with some of these misinformed sufferers and put this story to rest before they start banning wifi from more places.

Attached Files:

• wifi.jpg
      wifi.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
  18. cait-sith macrumors regular

Jeez, how long has it been since we started broadcasting into the sky? And people are still afraid of the effects?

It's right around christmas and people are starting to get headaches.. go figure.

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

A guy I know has his wireless base station bolted under his work-desk due to the fact that his desk is integrated into a huge built-in storage thing and the availability of mains sockets. I don't know anything about it causing headaches, but he has 5 kids (all girls).

20. gers84 thread starter macrumors member

Conclusive proof wifi will cause the end of the world due to a lack of male children ;)

21. bozigle macrumors regular

being careful and suspicious (to some level) is a good behaviour... that is the reason European's are against GMO. not because they are dangerous but because we don't know if they are or not.
    I got headache once in a while but i would tend to look at more direct causes... I try to isolate myself with my ipod and i guess 4/5 hours/day of music through earphone or staring at a crap screen (i don't have mac at the office) 7hours long are probably more direct cause than the wifi of the office.
    The wifi is not very powerful i wouldn't worry too much about it... but of course there might be some people who would like to sue big corporations on the matter and i wouldn't like to stop them...
    bozigle

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm usually very susceptible to headaches, migraines etc. but that stopped since we got WiFi. I don't know if my body simply grew up (head hurt a lot when 16-18, blinding migraines). But it's all good now.

We have the only WiFi device in the area. Unless they're hidden... I have a keychain that flashes when it picks up a WiFi signal and the whole street is clean of these signals!

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Is wifi not just radio waves?

we have had broadcast-type "waves" or energy all around us, everyday for every single person who is alive today. give or take a few reeeeeeealy old ones.

just cuz someone tapped into one of the wavelengths, called it a wifi standard, doesnt change anything.

there is no "brown-note" of WiFi.

if you are getting a headache from wifi, its gots to be you.

:D

24. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I have heard that for some people, these claims are legitimate. It's not actually a health hazard -- in the same way that cell phones aren't hazardous -- but some people are actually sensitive to the high levels of RF energy.

I get headaches sometimes too :D but I think its also job-related.