Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muck9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I have a Belkin G Wireless USB Adaptor to make an access point for my Ipod Touch to connect to. Ive plugged this in and the Ipod cant find it. How do I do it with a wired router? (BT Voyager 200)

Do I need a wireless router?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You plugged the adaptor into what? It requires something with drivers that expects it to be there (like a Mac or PC). If you plugged it into the router then that won't work unless the router documentation explicitly states that this will work AND supports that device. This would be very unusual. The USB ports on routers normally only support printers or sometime disks.

Muck9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
You plugged the adaptor into what? It requires something with drivers that expects it to be there (like a Mac or PC). If you plugged it into the router then that won't work unless the router documentation explicitly states that this will work AND supports that device. This would be very unusual. The USB ports on routers normally only support printers or sometime disks.

I put it into my PC and updated it and it doesnt connect and my Ipod Touch cant find any wireless access point. :confused: How do I do it with a wired router? Do I need a wireless router?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I put it into my PC and updated it and it doesnt connect and my Ipod Touch cant find any wireless access point. :confused: How do I do it with a wired router? Do I need a wireless router?

Have you told your PC to use the WiFi adaptor to create an ad-hoc wireless network (this basically turns it into an access point) and then switch on internet connection sharing to enable routing through the PC via it's wired connection? If not it's not going to do anything, it's running as an network adaptor not an access point.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do it on a PC as I only know how to do it on a Mac.

johnsonsimon

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
The usb adapters usually allow you to connect the device they are plugged into wirelessly to a wireless router. so in plugging the USB adapter into your pc, you are in fact allowing THAT pc to connect to a wireless router, not making that PC an access point.

if you want to use the wifi on your ipod to connect to the net, then you will need a wireless router, you can buy these that come with the ADSL modem in, or you can buy just a router and plug your modem directly intothe new wireless router. This is assuming that you are using ADSL broadband and not cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.