Wifi issues on iMac G5 20" - Airport card died?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sers, Mar 12, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2006
    I've had this computer for many years and it has been trouble free. Recently, however, it's been losing the wifi signal. It'll keep it for a while, but then I'll see it fluctuate and eventually die. I can't seem to bring it back to life. I have an iPhone, apple tv and a laptop that all seem to have no trouble pickng up the wifi signal. Would this be a software or hardware issue? Could my airport card be dying? If so, is it fixable? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Check the module type, but I believe these are the same module airport-bluetooth on Powermac G5s, late 2005 revision only as well as the iBook G4 final revision only.

I had one unit that was dead. They are not that expensive to buy. Ebay.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2006
    Dumb question..........how do i check the module type?:D
  4. macrumors 601

Sep 16, 2007
    Northeastern Ohio
    Check your Bluetooth to see if it works and if it's BT 2.1 + EDR then you have the combo card with Airport and Bluetooth which will be model # A1127. They are $10-$15 shipped on ebay.

I bought one from a Chinese seller and the Airport didn't work but the BT did. They sent me another one but after I had already purchased another one from a US seller and both sides worked great. Now I have an extra here I don't need since I traded my late '05 G5, let me know if you are interested.