WiFi keeps dropping on rMBP

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by portishead, Jun 10, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Wifi keeps dropping on my rMBP. Anyone else? I can handle some bugs, but if my wireless keeps dropping, we'll that kinda sucks. :(

2. macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my 15" retina. Wifi not connecting at all.

3. macrumors 601

satcomer

Did you try changing channels in the wireless router yet?

4. macrumors newbie

I have tried channels 1, 100, 132.
    If ethernet is connectes, wifi icon also show connected. If I disconnect ethernet, wifi starts looking for networks and shows that exclamation mark on icon. Wifi never gets IP via DHCP. Manually setting IP won't work.

5. macrumors 601

satcomer

Why didn't you say that the first time.

Did you go into the affect Mac System preferences->Network, Wi-Fi side channel, Advanced button and see if the Preferred Network at you want to connect to is present.

6. macrumors newbie

Yes. I even deleted my networks from there and connected again. It even asked me WPA password again.

But meanwhile I was working with Windows. It's installed with bootcamp. It didn't connect at all. Not even with cable. Now I got home and everything is connected again.

At work I had Airport Extreme and D-Link 2,4 and 5 GHZ networks. None of them worked. I even restarted them, but all other workstations were working before and after restart.

At home Thomson is working fine.

Really weird situation.

7. macrumors member

MLMcMillion

15" rMBP here with no WiFi problems (so far), connected to a 2.4GHz N router.

8. macrumors 65816

My wifi keeps dropping for my 15'' rMBP. Please help!! I need to get work done! The wifi connects fine, but it just drops randomly. What must I do?

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

use wired ethernet, or don't install a beta of an OS. it's going to have bugs man.

10. macrumors 65816

I thought you have the same problem too? You found a fix?

11. macrumors 603

Not to sound harsh, but if you need to get work done why did you install a beta 1 version of an OS?

Save yourself the anxiety and go back to ML. If you want to screw around with Mavericks put it on an external.

12. macrumors member

Try removing wifi passwords from keychain and the network from network prefs, restart and then try to connect again.

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have a password, I use timed access control by mac address.

I haven't had a wifi dropout today yet though.

14. macrumors member

END3R

I can't even connect to a single network. Not mine, not my neighbors unsecured, nothing. It asks for my password, I enter it and it shows "Connection Timeout."

For those thinking about it, I would not install this. So buggy. Not worth it at all.

15. macrumors newbie

rMBP dropping Wi-Fi none stop

Ever after upgrading to 10.8 I was having issues here and there... but now with 10.9 is just impossible to stay online for more that a couple of minutes...

The Wireless Diagnostics app claims our network is too "busy" which may be... but I'm the only one getting bumped.

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

I only had it drop out once on me yesterday. That's not terrible. I wouldn't care, except I have my iTunes on my NAS, and I don't want to drop the connection while I'm connected as it can corrupt things.

Once a day isn't bad though, so I'm not worried about it. I'm sure it will get fixed soon.

17. macrumors 6502

Never had that problem with my rMBP at home, or any public networks. I would take it to Genius bar if you have already changed wireless channels.

18. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Mine is flakey as well on an Early 2011 MBP13. It just wouldn't be OSX without these issues. :)

19. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You go with a developer preview to the Genius Bar? *lol*

20. akhilv1, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

macrumors newbie

I'm having the same exact issue on my rMBP as well. Its the original base model with a 2.3Ghz. Maybe using an apple Airport will work? I'm gonna give it a shot with my age old Airport Express 802.11g.

----------

25 Minutes so far on a 2.4Ghz N Router without dropping out, but i was downloading iPhoto and iMovie, so it was under load.

----------

It's still working.

21. macrumors 68000

ToroidalZeus

it's all dependent on the network. on my home network no problem, at school massive drops.

22. macrumors member

vindictum

15' rMBP with no WiFi problems. At home it's connected to my 5GHz N router (ASUS RT-N56U). At work, we use 2.4GHz with certificate, again without any issue.

23. macrumors regular

I did this on my Mac Mini and it fixed the issue for me to my Windows SMB shares. It's a good workaround which keeps your wifi from dropping out, and prevents disconnection of your shares. Basically a ping to your router.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/08/mac-...-bash-script-to-maintain-wireless-connection/

24. macrumors 601

satcomer

Also for those having problems try to make a new Network Location in System Preferences->Network (at the top of the pane) and make a custom named Location & save it. This might help.