Wifi not working right. White 13" MacBook1,1

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by philip.n.robbin, Jul 24, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

My wireless is not functioning well at all recently and I have no idea why. Could it be that the Apple updates have finally sent me some sort of "kill" command so that I have to upgrade? :p

Full description:

• My Wifi has been perfect since 2006, but this week I can't do a thing.
    • I can access Wifi perfectly on my iPod Touch but in the same location my AirPort struggles to find the SSID and then struggles to connect.
    • Connects and then disconnects or never actually connects (shows bars, but can't do anything online)
    • Wired: works fine when connected to a modem/router with a cat 5 cable.
    • I check for viruses and I keep updated with all patches and security upgrades
    • Tried 3 good locations with WEP, with no protection at all, and with WPA2. No luck.

Stats:

Body: White Macbook 13" v 1,1
    OS: Originally had the "Tiger" o/s and I have since upgraded (clean install) to Leopard 10.5.7
    Applecare: Ended recently.

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.4.10.3
    Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off

Can anyone help me?

Phil

2. macrumors newbie

Hmm, this may have just helped

I found this on apple.com

"Recommendation was to remove the AirPort preferences file in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
    (com.apple.airport.preferences.plist) and let it be regenerated."

I just tried it and it connected fine. Now, I will roam around the house and see what happens.

Phil

Update:

I cano now get connected in the same room as the router, but as soon as I enter another room (where another white macbook and iPod Touch get full bars, I get nothing. All my bars fall to zero.

Can anyone help?