wifi on a Beige G3 AIO ???

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by madmax_2069, Feb 24, 2007.

1. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

Yes thats right wifi on a Beige G3 AIO.

i bought a Belkin wireless G+ PCI card (model F5D7001) for my AIO just to try out something. i installed it and booted OS 9 and it didnt work. i was a bit worried this would not work in a Mac at the beginning but i said what if it will work in 10.4.8. so i booted into tiger and behold it detected it right off the bat.

ok tiger seen it but does it really work. i knew there was some local wifi networks arount my area but where the AIO was located in the house it didnt see any. so i put the AIO ontop of the entertainment center and pointed it to the window and it picked up a wifi network. the signal was not strong but it was strong enough to get a connection and started to surf the net with it . i was on for about an hour to test it and all went well so i put the beige g3 back to where it was in the living room and went back to dialup.

i was happy but not totaly happy cause the card didnt work in OS 9.x . i know its a possable to get support for this card in OS 9.2.2 by useing a 3rd party driver from say like IOxperts but they dont yet have support for the card. but i know it is possable for it to work if there was drivers out there for it.

i guess i will keep the wifi card cause it does work 100% in tiger and shows as airport extreme in asp in the airport tab

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

So what? You boast that you have stolen some traffic from someone elses connection? :rolleyes:

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yeah, looks like it. Technically that's war-driving and is in fact illegal.

4. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

humm it isnt when you have permition from the guy.

im not stupid. i wasnt bosting about stealing the connection . i know stealing is stealing nomatter what it is and its illegal. i was testing the connection with the guys permition. i should have said so in the in the OP.

there was no other way for me to test the connection since i had no wireless router and no connection to use with it ( i do own a wifi G+ router now). if you get permition from some one to use the connection then its not war driving. the guy lives half a block away and i got only 4 bars of signal streingth. BTW i also know the guy.

i was simply saying i got wifi on my beige G3 AIO and what card i was useing for it and what worked and what didnt. and i tested it long enough to see if its stable on the system. i am now back on my dialup i was only useing the wifi long enough for testing. his wifi was unencriptet that time for a reason. all the local conections are encripted including his but for only for that hour he disabled it for allowing me to use it to test with.

the guy was telling me if its a open unencripted wifi then its asking people to use it. and it is the owners fault that people is useing the wifi cause of it not being encripted to keep people off it. and if it was encripted to keep people out and that person breaks the encription then it become illegal.
    going onto someones unencripted wifi is useing it not stealing it cause technaly its a open network for people to use. for one in the state of ohio some citys and towns offer free wifi.

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Fair enough if he let you use it. But just because someone's wi-fi is unencrypted, does not mean it's a free for all legally (although it technically is) .
    You don't have to break encryption to be breaking the law, because you're still using their internet without their permission. It's like walking into someone's house, stealing something and saying 'well you left the door open, so i technically didn't steal anything' . Not to argue, just to inform you. :p

6. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i cant find any info on the law's for this in the state of ohio. but i would think that each state has one on the subject or not. i would not know what it would go under to look for it. they do have free wifi service in some area's in ohio

i took my friends PSP and counted the wifi networks downtown alone there was 18 of them 6 of them was encripted the rest was not . one of the ones that was open was buffalo wild wings which is free to use. some was private . and some was buisness. but you would think that all the buisness would have encription to keep people off. this was just scanning and no useing just driving on one road (of corse i was a passenger) going to drop off the bank (what we call the nightly deposit) to the bank. its crazy the amount of people and buisness have there wifi unincripted for someone to just use the connection.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Hm....something worth remembering if I'm in Ohio then! :cool:

8. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

ok i just found a bit of info about war driving in the USA
    wardriving legal or not

it basicly say's they war driving is illegal only if you are attempting to bypass a password, WEP key or similar device designed to prevent unauthorized access to the network.

and it says there is no law stating its illegal to use a unincripted wifi network since its open. basicly if its encripted that means its locked down for a reason for people not to use it. if its open its fair game and its the owners fault that it is open for people to gain acsess to, simply if you dont want people to use it encript it if not you are basicly saying that your wifi is there for free use.

as one person puts it

War Driving is legal/ethical if one uses only open, unsecured wireless networks - and those are any networks that are not password protected in some fashion.

War driving where one 'cracks' a secured network is ILLEGAL and UNETHICAL.

the only thing i see is some people are combinding the legal and ethical together

IMHO it might be legal to do it but that dont make it ethical to do it. Taking advantage of someone else's ignorance is not ethical. but you also have to look at the people that have there wifi open for a reason so people can use it, some are ignorant and some do it for people to use.

if you take advantage of the wifi cause of some ones ignorance that is that is wrong, but if you take advantage of the wifi and that person dont care and has it open for people to use it is ok

someone also said

Sirius and XM radio encrypt theirs - Citizen's Band and Family Band radio do not, cellular phones do, broadcast TV and terrestrial radio do not (on the outbound side)

i would add that cable tv uses a locked box on the side of your house (i have seen on top of the pole also) to connect or disconnect your cable service that is there encription to break that open its illegal. same goes for satalite tv service as the XM and Sirius radio

again there is some states that have a law saying otherwise. and there is some that have no law's about it. but its mostly about acsessing a computer system on the network with out the person not knowing as being illegal not by useing the network to gain internet acsess.

mostly this subject is a grey area in some states. and in others its just illegal

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow, why are you arguing over stealing wifi when the OP didn't even do that?? The point is that he got wifi to work in an AIO beige G3, and I think that's pretty cool! :)

10. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

dude im not arguing nothing cause that post above was from me the OP of this topic. or was you talking about the post above mine im a bit confused now myself. it would be a bit weird to be arguing with myself over something i asked about

i then asked if anyone can find a law stating anything about the legality of it in the state of ohio.
    but that post above of mine was from me finding some sort of info on the subject even tho some what confusing it does shed some light on the subject.

and i was pointing out things said on that site

i was also going to add to my post before some one posted saying i am arguing with myself (weird he must have not seen my nickname in the OP and the post above dont worriy i relize it was a mistake and are forgivin) but how can some one tell if the wifi is intended to be freely acsessed by some one or the people just dont know about encription. the easy answer is you can't unless the SSID says its free.

yea wifi on this Beige G3 seems to be rock solid (i know have a belkin Wireless G+ router with no BB connection as of yet to connect to it, but use it as a simple network right now). i only wish that there was drivers for it to work in OS 9.x. like i said before i know its possable to get it to work in OS 9.x if there was a driver for it (which there isnt so far that i know) i know there is IOxperts that make 3rd party drivers for O SX and OS 9.x to support non supported wifi cards (but they dont yet support this card or 802.11 G yet)

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

We're not arguing, we're discussing as it's quite an interesting concept.

That's interesting, I think how the law is interpreted must vary then, I read about a teenager being arrested for accessing free library wifi from the parking lot after hours just earlier.

Mind you, in a way, I agree with the idea that if it's unencrypted it's fair game, and it is more of a ethical thing. I know my neighbour has unencrypted wireless that I just about pick up, I'm just nice and informed him that it was open for anyone to go on. :)

12. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea i seen the same story. they might not have known the full story tho. he could have did something. or was in the parking lot after hours maybe. some places like that will not allow you around after hours.

who really knows but i dont think he was picked up cause he was useing the wifi. he was prolly just useing it in the wrong place (on the library's parking lot after hours). there is a few guidelines you have to go by when useing the free wifi at a place like that. maybe he was breaking one of those guidelines and they had a log on someone being on after hours doing something he should not been doing that broke the guidelines and was watched to see what was going on and finaly arested him. who really knows the real story.

yea there is allot of people out there that freely allow people to use the wifi they own nomatter who they are. and then there are people that are ignorant about wifi and just hook it up not knowing that someone could use it without them knowing. you cant tell who does allow it or who dont know enough about it to lock it down to keep people off. some SSID's i have seen can be FREEWIFI or another way so you can tell or not. and some that just dont care if some one does use it. its can be real hard to tell.

i have even seen SSID's say STAY THE &^%$ OUT, or STAY OFF MY WIFI,
    like i said its real hard to tell between the 2 if the SSID is default or is unencripted.

i think the setup utilitys that you run to setup the router to use the connection should have a explanation on what the SSID is. and to explain how to encript the wifi to keep people off it if they dont want anyone on it. allot of ignorance is just not caring to read up on how wifi works and what can happen if the wifi to there network is not encripted.

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, of course it worked. It perfectly fits within the requirements of the card.

14. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i was literaly looking at the card at wal marts for about an hour thingking should i take the risk and test it out or not. i seen there was the same model of cards but with diffrent pic's on the boxes. i looked threw them and seen only one that had a ouc of a card with the broadcom chipset. i remember people telling me to get boradcom when finding something Mac compatable ( OS X that is).

the only downfall is no Os 9 support cause of the chipset and its ability's (G and G+) i know if there was a 3rd party driver it would work but that is if IOxperts ever start supporting G cards. heck i would not care if the G part of the card wasnt supported i would love to get this card working in OS 9.x

i use to have a Linksys wireless G USB adapter with speed booster (it to has a broadcom chipset) but it would not work in OS X or OS 9 but ASP in OS X and OS 9 showed what it was in detail in the USB tab.

oh well at least im halfway there to get wifi on my Beige G3 AIO. at least i can boot into tiger and use it. once i move my AIO to my room thats the only OS i can use to get online useing wifi without having to run wires all over the place.

im glad i pounced on it cause walmarts dont seem to have the wireless G+ version in stock at the moment and only have the G one

15. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

Actually your analogy is wrong. Surfing someone else's internet connection is not like walking in through their unlocked door and pocketing a bunch of their stuff. They are transmitting a signal on public airwaves, so just as with a radio or television transmission, you have a right to use those airwaves. Why do you think people get away with monitoring police and emergency transmissions with a scanner or using CB radios?? If someone doesn't encrypt their wireless router signal it is the same as if you don't have a fence or a no trespassing sign on your property. In legalese it is called an "attractive nuisance" and if someone comes on your property and gets hurt, you're farked whether they were trespassing or not.

16. sonofjabba macrumors member

I use a WAP (Wireless Access Point) on my B&W G3 300. Belkin F5D7130 With my Belkin router. I actually have two set up in the system one on my PowerMac, and the other on my iMac.
    You have to configure them with separate IP addresses to work. But they work pretty good for a Software free wifi option. And This will work with OS 9.2.. aybe I should bust out the old 6400/200 Performa PowerPC and see if that works on it. I think That has os 8 on it... :) I've never tied that on the net before...

17. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i wish it did work in OS 9, you dont know how much i wish it did work in OS 9. but is dont. there needs 3rd party dirvers in order to work and unfortunatly there is none that i have seen. maybe if someone made one for it . now that would be sweet

18. sonofjabba macrumors member

You don't need third party drivers to use a WAP in OS 9.... It is a stand alone device. Just Plug in your Network cable and go. They work on PS2 and Xbox the same way

19. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

no i was talking about using my wifi card i have in my AIO in OS 9.x. to be able to do that you will need a 3rd party driver to do that (like from IOxperts) when and if ther start supporting wifi G cards.

now my Belkin wireless G+ router can work as a WAP. but it will be around the modem which is a long way from the room my AIO is in. and i want to try to avoid having ethernet cord strung everywhere. and only to devices that can only use ethernet which is real close to the cable modem.

20. sonofjabba macrumors member

Ahh, What you're are trying to do is a PITA. You'd be better off trying it my way. It's a Cakewalk compared to what you want to try doing.

I know you're trying to do this on the frugal.. But it's more time and effort than it's worth the way you're doing it. The Belkin equipment goes together pretty easily once you've done it a couple times. It's worth the 30 bucks you'd spend on a belkin WAP on ebay. Even if you get stuck with a dead unit from a jerk ebay seller. Belkin has a lifetime warranty on it. Send it back to belkin and get NEW. You can't get hurt.

Like I said I have two setup currently and they work flawlessly once installed. For a Single unit it is practically PNP

21. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

if i stay in OS X i will be able to use the wifi card. but in OS 9.x i wont be able to use the internet. simply put im out of money. so i will have to stay in OS X to use the net. which does suck since i have allot of games i play online that work in OS 9 only. i will eventually find someone that can get the wifi card to work in OS 9, even if it could not take advantage of the G side of the card. now i might be able to find a way to hack one of the drivers in IOxperts software thats for a card that has a Broadcom chipset. i could be farting in the wind tho.

i will never stop trying to get this card working in OS 9. but until then i will have to stay in OS X to use it. now i could install tiger on my other AIO so it can use the wifi card in it and use internet connection sharing threw the ethernet port if i am desperate enough.

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Just slam in a Sonnet PCI wireless card into the slot of the beige and that will solve everything.

23. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

na i will stick with this belkin wifi card cause it better suits me belkin wifi router. i have seen what becomes when you mix and match wifi devices you dont see the performance you would see if you have the same brand of hardware.

plus that takes money to buy something and that i dont have any of since i lost my job do to lack luster sales (dont know when i will be getting another one). but i will most likely stick with this card i have now since i have no problems with it just it dont work in OS 9. i have a few ideals on how to get past that limitation.