Wifi on a mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NightLord, Jun 24, 2006.

1. NightLord macrumors regular

I bought a mac mini G4 1.33Ghz 512Mb memory, but I decided not to get wireless since I didn't have a wireless router. However, now I do have a wireless router and want to use my mini wirelessly.

So I was wondering, what are my options of getting Wifi on my mini? I've tried a few USB adaptors, but none worked in OS X.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why dont you read through the manual that came with the computer?

I remember back when I had 700 MHz eMac there was an instruction on how to install AirPort card in it.

:)

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm not 100% sure but if you take it to an Apple Store they might be able to fit the Airport card and antenna. It's in a pretty accesable spot so I think it can be fitted after the purchase. Might wanna ring through and check though...

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Antenna should be already there.

5. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

I know that apple sell an airport card, but I don't know if that'll work on its own or not...

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I don't get it: you are unsure if AirPort cards work on mini?

Did you read the manual?

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

you will have to remove the casing and add both the airport card and the antenna. if you didn't purchase airport installed on those then they didn't come with the antennas for either wifi nor bluetooth. it can get expensive actually and is actually more technical than any other airport addition I've done, if you aren't technically inclined then perhaps you'll want to have a local apple store or independent apple tech do it for you. or sell your mac mini and get a new one.
    there are many guides on the process, I'll find the one I used in a few minutes for you.

8. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

or, you can get a game adapter so that you dont have to worry about drivers... it just uses the ethernet drivers already installed in your mac.

9. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I popped open my mac mini (Gotta marvel at how they fit it all in). And I don't have an airport antenna, so just getting an extreme card won't work :(

However, searching ebay (I'm in the UK), I found a Powermac G5 airport antenna for £2.99 (here, but I doubt it'll work on my mini.

And w_parietti22, That looks good, but I want airport access from within OS X, and that'll be a bit out of place on top of a mini.

10. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

It won't work - the G5 antenna is one which screws on to the back of the older G5s and nothing else.

Apple sells the kit for the Mini, including antenna. I advise you get in touch with a reseller such as Scotsys (linky) and ask them...

11. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

12. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Almost certainly won't be included in your guarantee. However, the alternative to buying a kit like that is to pay about £100 for an Apple-authorised service centre to do it for you (which is what one of my bandmates did recently). I'd go the eBay route!

13. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

£100, you say? Well in that case, eBay it is...

14. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

why not buy a usb wireless thing? would work for what you need.

15. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

The majority do not work with OS X, I've tried a few, which is a right pain, so I'll just get the airport upgrade kit.