WiFiScriptor -- Beta Testers needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by semaja2, Feb 1, 2007.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

WiFiScriptor

Version 0.1:
    - Initial Release

Note to mods: Dont know where this really belongs :S

Description:
    This tiny little utility will allow a user to assign AppleScripts to any wireless network, all you need is to know the SSID of the networks and well some resources on scripting with AppleScript (examples to come soon)

Some uses for this:
    Welcome message on joining networks :p
    Automated backup solutions that require network connectivity
    Mounting network drives automatically depending on network
    The list goes on

Notes:
    LICENSE - The license for this application is yet to be settled so for now it is licensed as closed source, how ever is still donation ware.
    GFX - The icons are unfortunately stolen from growl and "Network Utility" and are used for place holders, if someone is willing to help create some icons for this handy little utility please PM me

ToDo:
    - Clean up notification register
    - Implement search bar
    - Make windows appear on top
    - Replace icons

Download NOW
    (I take no responsibility for any damage that may result from use of this utility)

2. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Posting your website address may get some response instead of just a download link.

4. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didnt think about that but heres the link to the site : http://semaja2.net/wifiscriptorinfo/

I would really appreciate feedback on the interface, as well as the obvious bug reports that are usual of any app ;)

5. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

It looks nice from the screenshot alone.

I might give this a spin to kick-off an rsync when I connect to my network, although I'm pretty certain I don't need to do it every time. There was a thread a while back where the guy was trying to setup an auto-rsync and was trying to figure-out how to do it upon attaching to a network. This would be perfect for that.

Mike

6. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sample scripts:

Lock the screen (good for when you leave to goto school so no one snatches your laptop when you arrive ;) )

Code:
    set normalCommand to "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend"
    do shell script normalCommand

Display a message to the user:

Code:
    display dialog "Hello and welcome to so and so wireless network" buttons {"OK"}

Mount a network drive:

Code:
    tell application "Finder"
     open location "smb://jamesas@192.168.0.30/storagea"
    end tell

Run a shell script:

Code:
    do shell script "echo enter bash command here"

Run a shell script with admin powers (Password will be stored in a preference file unencrypted):
    Code:
    do shell script "echo enter bash command here" user name "admin" password "password" with administrator privileges