Wii Accessories (memory, batteries, cables, etc.)

Discussion in 'Games' started by aidanpendragon, Oct 10, 2006.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    Wondering if anyone here can recommend a certain brand of SD card and/or rechargeable battery - both things I'll need to buy for the Wii launch.

- SD cards: 1 and 2GB cards on Amazon (I know, also try Newegg) can vary wildly in price, sometimes by $15-20 among brands for the same capacity. Kingston? SanDisk? Do I need a Secure, an Ultra II Secure, an Ultra II SD Plus? Please help me wade through the marketing superlatives.

In my case, I'd consider trying a 2GB card and, if the space proves too great for Wii needs, swapping it with the 1GB card in my camera; thus, although the console may require less, I'd buy with any secure/transfer standards better suited for a camera in mind.

- Rechargeable batteries: Ditto with all the above. Sony? Energizer? How many mAh? I've had bad experiences with these in the past and don't want a lot of dead weights with short lives.
  2. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    SD card- any one should suffice. You're only going to be using them for saving (doubtful for caching) so speed of the card will be irrelevant. I picked up a 1gb generic SD card for my M3 adapter for £15 and it works in every device I have.

Batteries- ultra high mHa batteries, rechargeable of course. For extra poetic justice get the Sony ones. Or the best brand of batteries I've ever dealt with - UniRoss. I used 900mAh AAA's for my old wireless mouse and they just lasted forever, only needed to change them every 4-6 months. We have some AA ones lying around that are IIRC 1200mAh (might go up to 1800mAh, can't remember) and they're very nice and also last a very long time. Coupled with a 2 hour battery charger and you really are laughing. Though I even strongly recommend these http://www.batteryreview.co.uk/battery_reviews/ansmann_2600_aa.htm.
    edit: forget that they're 2300mAh! My dad used 2 in his digital camera on holiday last year. 3 months, 1gb of photos (with flash in some) on a 4mp camera and they didn't need a recharge once.
  3. rob finch macrumors member

Mar 24, 2006
    I think I'll get those Ansmann batteries, 2600 mAH now! I get through loads in my wireless Apple mouse, so can use them in there as well as the Wii controllers. Nice one jimmi!!

@aidanpendragon, I just ordered a Verbatim 1Gb SD card in the UK for £13. They are an excellent brand for CD and DVD media, so I've stuck with them on the strength of that. If you see a brand you trust and the price is competitive I don't think you can go wrong.