Wii + ACD, Let's make it happen

Discussion in 'Games' started by suneohair, Oct 11, 2006.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Hello itsa mii...

Anyhow. I have an ACD and I will have a Wii. I read about the HD Mate(which is now discontinued) and it was a $300 solution.

Is there any other way to get my Wii working with my ACD? I really don't want to buy a TV and I really don't want to spend a whole lot of cash.

So I wanted to open this up as an ongoing thing to find a solution.

My guess is that we would have to go from component to DVI, since the composite + s-video are analog.

So any ideas?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Your best option is probably El Gato's EyeTV Hybrid.

3. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Will there be any latency with that? I remember reading that.

EDIT: Read the site, they say zero latency... interesting.

That thing isnt cheap... but doable.

Do you think it would show the Wii at 480P?

4. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There's no way of knowing if the sensor bar would work if your setup by proxy this way.

Theres been enough worrying posts about the sensor bar lately - that if it really is that sensative to conditions, i'd wait till its out and people report in before you invest in a setup that might not work.

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

suneohair, for future reference, Component is analog as is VGA, and DVI-A. DVI-D (the ACD) and HDMI are the only video connections that are currently digital (and standardized).

And you're right, that solution would still be analog. You'd need this, which is a lot more expensive. Seems almost better to just buy a TV to hook the Wii up to. Or you could sell the ACD and buy a Dell FPW with Composite/S-Video/DVI/VGA.

7. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

For what it's worth, the sensor bar and Wii remote have nothing to do with the display. Neither interact with the display in any way. If you can manage to plug the Wii to your display, you're in business.

I would agree with this. It won't be easy to find a working "no-quality-loss" solution that would actually be cheaper than replacing your ADC with a new display with similar specs and with all the inputs you need.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The ViewSonic NextVision N6 should work for most monitors (specsheet)

I'm not sure about ACD support, but you can usually pick this up for <$200. If it doesn't work with ACD, you might check ViewSonic's other products in the same category, they are the best devices for this task I have been able to find after tons of research.

Good luck!

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

There's no DVI output on the N6 that I saw in any of the pictures. The only product I saw that would possibly work was the HD12, but that's over $400 USD.

To the OP:
    If you're set on using your display for both your computer and your Wii, then I still stick with my suggestion that you try to sell your ACD and pick up a Dell. Depending on what size ACD you have, you might be able to plunk down some cash and get a larger display that will work with what you want to do.

I wouldn't say that I'd do the same thing. I use a laptop (so no ACD or Dell FPW) and I have a 30" HDTV that I'll use for the Wii. But since we're in different situations, I make suggestions based on what might be best for you. I don't know your space limitations, etc. But you seem to want to keep everything on one display.

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well, even $400 is a heck of a lot cheaper then an ACD! :D

11. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Sorry the Dell 2407 is a piece. I owned one before I got my 23" ACD. Plus the component connection arent very good on the Dell, I would have to use the VGA most likely.

Anyhow, I won't sell my ACD for a Dell.

The Hybrid looks like it might work. I will get the Wii and then try that out. Sounds like it might work well.

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Ok, well whatever you decide, I wish you well with it. I didn't know you already had a Dell and didn't like it. It just seems like you're incurring a lot of extra expenses by buying an A/D converter. But if you really don't care for the Dells, you've got the extra cash (lucky :)) and you're set on using the ACD, then it's cool.

13. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I only paid $750 for the new spec'ed 23" ACD. So I am not incurring too much more expense by buying the hybrid.

I will try it out if it doesn't work I may consider buying a TV.

But if it does work well then it is a good solution.

Preordeing my Wii tomorrow! Woot! :D

As far as the sensor bar comments, the sensor bar has nothing to do with the screen so I don't think it will be an issue.