Wii and Computer LCD Monitors

Discussion in 'Games' started by goodtimes5, Mar 6, 2007.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I've googled this so extensively, and there isn't an easy, exact answer. I want to connect my Wii to my computer LCD monitor that has DVI and VGA connections.

The Wii doesn't have DVI or VGA out - only composite and component out. How do I go about connecting the two?

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

You can do it with one of these, via composite, or S-Video.

I was originally looking at going this route so I could use my 30", but read too many mixed reviews about performance. Some would state it was OK, others mentioned noticeable latency. Coupled with latency, a fuzzy image and the cost, I decided to just buy another screen.

Anyway, I broke down and bought a Samsung LCDTV which doubles as a monitor. This worked out for me, because I needed a new display for my older Mac and PCs.

<]=)

3. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I'm making a guess that the elgato wouldn't be great since games in the Wii would fail with latency. Can any one with first hand experience share on this?

Also, my LCD screen doesn't have a S-video conection; it only has DVI and VGA.

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

You need something like this. Similar devices pop up on ebay often enough.

Cheapest option is to do composite -> VGA and use the composite cable that comes with the Wii. For the better quality get a svideo->VGA adapter, you'll also need a svideo cable for the wii.

If you've got cash to burn you can get component -> VGA adapters, you'll looking at around $400 for the converter then, so not worth it really unless you've got nothing better to spend your cash on.

5. mpetrides macrumors member

Wii on iMac G5 via EyeTV Wonder

I have successfully connected my Wii using the S-video input on my EyeTV Wonder USB 2.0 and ElGato's EyeTV software. This TV tuner is billed as having low latency because it captures raw, uncompressed video. Games play fine. I perceive no lag whatsoever. (I've used the same setup with a PS2 in the past, equally successfully.)

Composite input using the cable that came with the Wii would work too but the picture isn't as good--at least it wasn't when I was using the PS2.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I can play GameCube and Wii through an EyeTV Hybrid. Basically, any TV tuner that sends RAW UNENCODED video will work fine (most of the cheaper USB ones.) if it encodes to MPEG in the tuner, though, it will add latency.

And, as others have mentioned, you can find adapters that will convert an S-Video or composite signal to VGA, although they aren't really cheap. More cost effective to go with a tuner, because then you get video input into the computer that you can do stuff with, not just straight to the monitor.

The third option, if you're hunting for a new monitor, is to find one that has S-video inputs already, but it sounds like you're trying to find a solution to go to an existing monitor.