Wii and DS dominate Europe

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.vgcharts.org/news.php?id=57

And the games?

I don't recall the source (something to do with a combination of PC World, Currys, GAME etc) but they said the Wii was the #1 electronic sold this Xmas here.

I was inspired to look into how well it was selling as my girlfriends Wii "Pre" order has been pushed back till APRIL. Yep. the fourth month. Virgin Megastores (all of them) report that all new Wii stock is sold out between 15-30 minutes after opening.

See whats interesting is that Nintendo usually don't advertise much here. Their consoles don't usually sell that well either. But it's all changed. It actually has all changed.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Have you seen last weeks sales figures in Japan? 18 of the top 20 games are for Nintendo. DS (and Wii) dominate worldwide.

1. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 61,399 / 794,118
    2. (DS, Square Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 55,180 / 916,000
    3. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Play - 54,578 / 719,089
    4. (DS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training - 35,819 / 1,098,912
    5. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 34,628 / 4,003,134
    6. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 32,865 / 3,838,652
    7. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World - 32,864 / 3,876,696
    8. (PSP, Konami) Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops - 28,152 / 306,359
    9. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Diamond - 22,982 / 2,502,801
    10. (DS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS - 22,640 / 1,997,233

11/ Kirby Squeak Squad (NDS, Nintendo)
    12/ English Training (NDS, Nintendo)
    13/ Pokémon Pearl (NDS, Nintendo)
    14/ Yakuza - The Best (PS2, Sega)
    15/ DS Menu Collection (NDS, Nintendo)
    16/ Jump Ultimate Stars (NDS, Nintendo)
    17/ Kanji Test (NDS, Rocket Co.)
    18/ Zelda Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo)
    19/ Brain Training (NDS, Nintendo)
    20/ Wario Ware Smooth Moves (Wii, Nintendo)

21/ Yakuza 2 (PS2, Sega)
    22/ Tales of the World (PSP, Namco)
    23/ Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP, Capcom)
    24/ Oshare Majô Love & Berry (NDS, Sega)
    25/ 2 millions Kanji (NDS, IE Institute)
    26/ Seiken Densetsu 4 (PS2, Square-Enix)
    27/ The Battle of Yu Yu Hakusho (PS2, Banpresto)
    28/ DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (Wii, Bandai)
    29/ Pokémon Battle Revolution (Wii, Nintendo)
    30/ Cooking Navigator (NDS, Nintendo)

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Haha, aw man... I am SO happy for Nintendo! They're doing GREAT this generation! :)

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Dammit, Wii Play is released here the day after my birthday. Does it still have that orchestra conducting thing I saw a screenshot/video of?

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Not sure about the orchestra.

How come some peeps have already played Wii Play? Where has it been released?

<]=)

7. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

If only I had bet money that jimmi was the one who started this thread :p

I kid...but yay for Nintendo. Hopefully, they can keep up the momentum.

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I knew Nintendo would come through. We'll see more developers jumpin' back onto the Nintendo wagon, just like the good ol days :D

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's great nintendo have this boost, but

not to put a dampen on people but uk retail figures seem to put the 360 at around the same figure. As a recording studio we recieve the chart track emails and newsletters.

You are only posting in that link jimmi one analysis of Nintendo (notice is doesnt mention all the other retail figures) and its only 1 weeks brief analysis result and not the overall result which is actually formulated a week or two after, esepcially because a lot of independant stores do NOT have their tills fed into the chart track result, which is the same for music sales.

So it is a bit misleading. Its safe to say ALL consoles did very well at retail.

In actual fact if I read the emails right Dec it was first time in the UK that both the 360 and Wii outsold PS2 sales. But still its safe to say all consoles sold very well.

However you have to remember Nintendo had the launch hysteria, and seemingly would have sold more should it have been able to supply all pre-orders.

Also its how many consoles they sell AFTER launch that's important, and we shall see if the momentum can be maintained.

I hope a 'big' game is released at least every couple of months and if they can release enough games that appeal to everyone. So far the only game I've seen that has power to convert is Wii Sports, everything else has just been the usual.

Nintendo need to have, Brain Age, 42 All Time Classics, Wii Sports 2 etc all availalbe within the next 6 months at least.

I hope they do it, but European release schedule and Nintendo have a bad history. So I'll keep my fingers crossed they pull it off.

10. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

It's out in the UK. I have to say it's not exactly spectacular, and Wii Sports has much better longevity. The conducting game isn't included - I think that's going to be in Wii Music or whatever they call it which I have heard will be equivalent to Wii Sports.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep thats what I heard about it too.

Still a lack of info on wii aeroplane too.

12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Theres also Wii Motor Sports too... hehe.

I don't know where these Wii's are going. None of my mates can get hold of one, heading off into town now to see if we can pick one up :eek:

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't know about europe (it's sold out so far as i have seen in stores)
    but in japan the wii has for the first time thrown the DS from it's throne:

08.01.07 - 14.01.07 __ week before __ 2007 total

Wii 93.708 195.331 289.039
    Nintendo DS Lite 89.287 344.878 434.165
    PSP 48.804 118.186 166.990
    PlayStation3 25.531 69.944 95.475
    PlayStation2 22.663 52.037 74.700
    Xbox 360 9.035 18.235 27.270

14. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Should have been this:

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, Nintendo's philosophy is working in Japan for sure, Europe surprised me, how's it doing in America?

16. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I still never see them in stores ANYWHERE. Also, everywhere I go people are talking about it, from children to adults, and everyone is raving about it. People are having Wii parties everywhere as well. The only time I've heard the PS3 or XBox 360 even mentioned since the Wii's release is when people are talking about how the Wii is better, and bashing the PS3 for lagging in some games (unreal!). Several friends and I have Wii's, and we're always playing them when we're over at each others' houses.

I am so, SO glad I decided to go pick one up the morning they were released, "just in case." Only had to wait in line one hour before the store opened! :).

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

My friend can't even find a Wii Remote... forget about the system. (Althought there is a report a major retailer is holding there Wii for Sunday)

18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Nintendo hasn't actually shipped a system or accessory to any retailer since Dec 14th. Their next estimated shipment is March according to my friend who is a store manager for Gamestop, at least that is what is shown in the Gamestop system. He said the system isn't always correct on estimated dates so it could be sooner than March (He doubts it), but he is 100% for sure that they haven't sent anything to them (Gamestop Corporate) since December, he also confirmed all this with his DM and Nintendo Rep. What you are seeing now is what the big companies have had stocked in their distribution centers, not new stock from Nintendo.

Nintendo has done a horrible job of getting their system in to the hands of consumers, they did the exact same thing that people have blamed other "nameless" companies of doing in the past. They released a lot at launch and now they don't have the inventory to keep up (or so they say) therefore causing false demand or the "oh noes there is no more anywhere" affect.

Of course i don't expect many here to see any flaws in Nintendo's delivery...

Right now Wii Play is the best bet to get a controller, as for a system its rare because Nintendo hasn't shipped any, but im sure most here will say otherwise to shift the blame away from Nintendo.

I like my Wii, but no online play, no release dates for mario, metroid, SSBB is pretty poor. Wii Sports would be awesome playing online, its fun now but it would be 10x as fun to be able to kick Jimmi's butt in Tennis without the expensive plane ticket :p I dont like having to use GCN controllers for GCN games, and i would like the option to use the classic controller instead of flailing my arms about in games. The whole motion thing gets old after playing for a while.

Ed

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No thats simply not true I saw the UPS guy role up with boxs of Wiis/PS3s....I was in a gamestop on Dec 26th and Gamestop got a shipment of Wiis...about 6 of them. My brother and I bought one each for a friends, who paid us back.

Not to mention I found a Wii Nunchuck that day also...and also got a Wii remote for xMas.

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

They are coming from the companies distribution center, not from Nintendo. :)

Read my entire post please, i said this :)

Ed

21. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Might be different for England. GameStation get new shipments of systems and accessories every week. Stock arrives in Virgin every month, but they get loads and took no preorders either.

Motion thing hasn't gotten boring here :D if anything it's picking up, what with our stamina getting better. I'm a friggin fell runner but 3 hour sessions on Tennis really took it out of me :eek:

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Ok i will visually do this for you all

Nintendo ----> Retail Distribution center of whatever store you want ----> Retail Stores.

All the shipments right now are coming from that companies distribution center, NOT from Nintendo. Nintendo at least in the US has not shipped anything to any company since Mid December. I assume its the same worldwide, but right now i can only speak for the US market.

I am sure that the retail stores are doing sparse releases based on the fact that they have no clue when Nintendo will send their distribution centers more, especially with an estimated ship of March.

Ed

23. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I started writing my post before yours popped up :p

Theres no stockpiling going on in the UK. Theres a constant steam coming into distrobution centres and onto the shops. I mean my local GameStation finally filled up their preorders on Monday.
    Still isn't stopping Nintendo populating the sales charts, despite limited systems o_O.

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Thanks. :)

My friend keeps on telling me to preorder it just for the Wiimote, but I'm hesitant, because of feedback like yours and others. Besides, I would like my next 2 Wiimotes to be black. *keeping my fingers crossed*

<]=)

25. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

You might as well get it, seeing as it hardly costs anything more than buying the extra controller, but I'm just saying that you don't set your expectations too high.