Wii and HD

Discussion in 'Games' started by theman5725, Jan 29, 2007.

1. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I know that the Wii doesn't formally support HD, but it does have at least 480p resolution.

Yesterday I got a new HDTV (first one) and decided to hook my Wii up to it. While I managed to get the 16:9 resolution to work, everything looks really blocky and pixelated. When I go into the Wii settings and try to change my TV type to HD instead of standard, it won't let me select it. Is there a particular cable type that needs to be used for this? Or is it a problem with my TV? I'm hooking the Wii up with the standard composite cables that come with it.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Yes you need a cable that supports component video (rather than composite). Either the 'Component AV cable' or the 'RGB Cable' depending on what connectors you're attaching to.

Edit: I've just read some more and I'm not sure the 'RGB Cable' actually does 480p or not. The 'Component AV cable' does.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You need a Wii Component Cable.

You currently have a composite cable. The two are different.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I'm curious, how does the Wii look once it's hooked up to an HDTV with the component cable? Are most games only 4:3?

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Since it makes the images sharper i tend to see the imperfections more. Jaggies are more apparent with component, with composite the muddiness compensates for the jaggies a bit.

Using the Wii in Enhanced Definition (ED not HD) is noticeable in sharpness and color separation/bleed. Of course the advantage to them is also a double edged sword on the wii since it tends to bring out the imperfections more.

Ed

6. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

jaggies are definitely more visible with component cables but the picture is crisper. (example-- it's really easy to read the writing in Need For Speed Carbon with component. not so with composite.