Wii and racing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by steamboat26, Dec 22, 2006.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I am just wondering if there are any plans to release a realistic racing game on the wii. Playstation has Gran Turismo, Xbox has Forza and Project Gotham Racing, and Nintendo has Mario Kart and Excite truck (both fun games, but cartoony and unrealistic). Isn't it about time for "racing simulator" to come to nintendo?

2. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Need for Speed Carbon?

3. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Yeah, but that came out on PS3 and 360, any exclusive racing simulators?

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Gran Turismo is the "only" realistic one. Project Gotham and Forza are unrealistic when compared to GT IMO more like arcade racers. :eek:

The system just came out and it has already proven its popularity, so I have no doubt that it will have its share of GT wannabes. :)

Mario Kart DS has to be one of the best multiplayer racers to come along. That game is sooooo much fun. I easily put more time into it than any other game this year.

<]=)

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

"GT Pro Series" was a launch title. It's not a true sim like Gran Turismo, but it's a lot closer than Excite Truck. I heard it sucked though.

I would lump the NFS games in with the unrealistic/arcade category myself.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

7. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

i wouldn't Say Forza is unrealistic, besides, if a game is fun who cares if it is realistic or not!

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The graphics are almost N64 quality. :eek:

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

really acurate control maybe too much for the wiimote to handle.

so far all the driving games on wii have failed to covincingly use the wiimote for real acuracy, much like all fps games so far.

to be honest though, driving sims are about real driving experience, photo realistic graphics and best used with a steering wheel.

the wii is graphically underpowered to provide photo realistc looks, and adding a steering wheel to the wii kind of defeats the purpose of the wii remote.

the wii should stick to things more suited.

10. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I disagree. I think the games out for Wii are all gamecube ports or were rushed to market to make a buck. CoD 3 has pretty good controls for a FPS but there are a few bugs such as turning around. I haven't tried it yet but i hear Far Cry Wii has decent controls too. Driving seems just as accurate as with an analog stick too me but there is room for improvement. Graphically, the developers didn't even try to push the Wii. Twighlight Princess has the best graphics and it is a direct gamecube port. We should be seeing graphics which are above Xbox level in less than a year. Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles or Sadness look like they may show more of the true power of the Wii.

As you said, the Wii isn't capable of photo realistic games but no console is without being hooked to an HDTV. Check out 360 games on an SDTV and let me know how photo realistic they look. For the majority of people who don't have HDTVs the Wii is more than capable.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've own and therefore have played COD3 on the wii. It controls not much better than red steel unfortunetly.

I've have also played Need for Speed Carbon, Monster 4x4 and the awful GT Pro. All of which for me do not work at all and I never felt truly in control.

But everyone is different I guess. But for realistic driving experiences I'll stick to 360 or PS3.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

are you kidding? im with you with the pgr series but forza? i say forza is the most reallistic of all of them

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah forza is definetly NOT arcadey.

14. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I agree the racing games on the Wii currently aren't very good, although I actually like Excite Truck as a fun arcade offroad game. I think the Wii is capable of supporting a very realistic racing sim but we'll have to wait for a developer to release one. I wouldn't expect anything like Gran Turismo but maybe something quasi-realisitic is possible. Also, maybe some developers will give the option of playing their games with the classic controller for those that don't like the motion control...

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not possible. When drive using a standard Wii controller you'd constantly be holding the controller, you don't do that when driving.

A proper wheel/some kind of stand is needed.

ps. They're not "realistic racing games" they're "racing sims". games = arcade, emphasis on lack of realism. Realistic racing game is an oxymoron. Like train simulator or whatever.

16. checkflag macrumors member

checkflag

I wish MAC would have a good racing game. I dont have a gaming console, and the current games available fro the mac are profoundly pathetic.

17. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I'll stick to my real car. :p

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

First off, GT is one of the best looking racers and it runs on a PS2, a system that's not even on par with a GameCube. As others noted, no current console, nor comp can handle PR graphics. And if you've played a PS3, it can't even handle its level of graphics when playing 2 player split screen mode in Ridge Racer.

But to be fair, just like these first-gen Wii games, later games for both systems will perform and look significantly better as the developers learn the ins and outs of each system. Look at the first gen X360 games, many of which were just updated XBox games, and games like Fight Night on the PS3, which is mostly just a PS2 port. A DVD is the same resolution as a Wii BTW, and its content looks substantially better than anything that can be rendered in real-time.

Secondly, making BS statements that the Wii's controls aren't good for a FPS games, is like stating a mouse is not good for them either. The Wii's controls are pixel precise and very accurate, only second to a mouse. Some games put in a slight latency like Zelda, where as Farcry moves with the Wiimote, just like the cursor does in the Wii menu. Even Red Steel and its sensitive controls are quite accurate once you get used to it, more so than any thumb-stick is capable of doing.

The only thing I agree on, is using the Wii-mote for steering. Not because it's not accurate enough, but because I prefer a fixed pivot. Excite Truck, once I got used to the controls was very easy to use. I didn't think I would like it at all, because I prefer the old arcade method of spinning the wheel to make the truck turn, but it's fun none the less.

Your comment about the steering wheel defeating the purpose of a Wii-mote is asinine. And this would be why Nintendo is encouraging accessories for the Wiimote. Does the classic controller also defeat the purpose of the Wii-mote... :rolleyes:

<]=)

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Seeing how we really only have launch title to base things off over, I wouldn't be to sure.

Also I'm a fan of the FPS control so far

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha yea but i dont have a ferrari or anything to go 200mph in lol