Wii and the Left Handed.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Dec 9, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ok this is beginning to annoy me.

Why arent there options in a lot of games for the lefties out there.

Rayman , no lefty option.. took me ages to work out why some games I was losing on...

Red Steel, no lefty option (for at least putting the hand on the other side of the screen as its just bizzare seeing the opposite hand on screen)

It's hard enough to control the game as it is without further hindrance. A pure example of control system hindering the game if there ever was on.

Seems like they've forgot that 10% of the wii owners are going to be left handed. :(

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

because 'left' is associated with 'evil' in latin, are you hiding something MRU? ;)

"Linguistic suggestion

Some left-handed people consider themselves oppressed, even to the point of prejudice. Etymology often lends weight to the argument:

In many European languages, "right" stands for authority and justice: German and Dutch, recht, French, droit, Spanish, diestro; in most Slavic languages the root prav is used in words carrying meanings of correctness or justice. Being right-handed has also historically been thought of as being skillful: the Latin word for right-handed is "dexter," as in dexterity; indeed, the Spanish term diestro means both "right-handed" and "skillful".

Meanwhile, the English word "sinister" comes from Latin and it originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by time of the Classical Latin era. "Sinister" comes from the Latin word sinus meaning "pocket": a traditional Roman toga had only one pocket, located on the left side for the convenience of a right-handed wearer. The contemporary Italian word sinistra has both meanings of sinister and left. The Spanish siniestra has both, too, although the 'left' meaning is less common and is usually expressed by 'izquierda,'[15] a Basque word. A left-hander was supposed to be not only unlucky, but also awkward and clumsy, as shown in the French gauche and the German links and linkisch. As these are all very old words, they support theories indicating that the predominance of right-handedness is an extremely old phenomenon. In Portuguese, the most common word for left-handed person, canhoto, was once used to identify the devil, and canhestro, a related word, means "clumsy".

In ancient China, the left has been the "bad" side. The adjective "left" (左 Mandarin: zuo) means "improper" or "out of accord." For instance, the phrase "left path" (左道 Mandarin: zuodao) stands for illegal or immoral means. In some parts of China, some adults can still remember suffering for the "crime" (with suitable traumatic punishments) of not learning to be right-handed in both primary and secondary schools, as well as in some "keeping-good-face" families.

In Norwegian, the expression venstrehåndsarbeid (left-hand work) means "something that is done in a sloppy or insatisfactory way".

Even the word "ambidexterity" reflects the bias. Its intended meaning is, "skillful at both sides." However, since it keeps the Latin root "dexter," which means "right," it ends up conveying the idea of being "right-handed at both sides."

I used to have a paper on this but it is forever lost so Wikipedia to the rescue.

Gamer developers are um...left-hand-aphobics I suppose!

4. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

The developers probably didn't realize that the new controller system allows lefties flexibility in how they hold the controller. You've had to hold controllers the same way as righties for so long, it probably never crossed their mind. Except for Nintendo. They can't use that as an excuse because Wii Sports gives the option to swap them.

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh i'm hiding somthing sikkinixx ;)

Yeah it's mad though when the control system of the wii is the main feature that this never occured to some of the developers. :rolleyes:

What they should have done is made it integral to your Wii, so that you create your Mii and designate your character left or right handed.

No matter what game you play, it should allow you to choose your Mii profile and then adjust the aiming etc according to the mii setting.

A completely common sense answer to the problem and actually a way of keeping your full gaming history stored to your mii character (like achievement points)....

A real missed opportunity. But one that could be rectified with a software update.

As for ubsioft. SORT IT OUT. I've spent €100 on games I can hardly play :mad:

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I have a simpler solution:

Learn to be right-handed and conform to other 90% of us! Come on, just unlearn a lifetime of experience, it can't be THAT hard.

:D

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

conformity isnt my strongest selling point :D

I think your just jealous because your not 'special' ;) :p :D

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think your just jealous that im not evil, sloppy, lazy, clumsy or the devil you heathen leftie you. :D

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

"I'm none of those things" he says yawningly, just as he gets up to go and baste the kiddie roasting on the barbeque, trips over himself and bashes his little horns against the door frame :D

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

lol did you use your left hand to baste that baby? ;)

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

You betcha :D

Get in my belly

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'm a leftie and the first thing I did when I picked up my Wii-Mote was put it in my right hand (and I'm not ambidextrous). It's just like using a mouse, 10 mins practice and I can do whatever I want with pin-point accuracy in Zelda, Call of Duty 3 and Wii Play.

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

You must be more adept than me. Just cant put it in my right hand...
    Shaking it around in my right hand just feels so wrong, like i'm not in control at all, as if someone else is holding it..

but back onto the wii remote ;) :D

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

Sick, sick, sick. (but exactly what I was thinking. :p)

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

which minigames are making you the most problems (besides the rythm games) ? i haven't really played that far though..

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

swing the cow and a few others, but mainly the dancing ones.

mind you the crayon drawing ones are tough too.

17. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well I'll be special with you. It's not easy being lefty you guys know...

18. russed macrumors 68000

russed

being special is good!

not only do we have shorter lives, have a higher IQ and be more creative, but we are often better at sports because it confuses all of the right handed people!

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

LMAO :D :D :D

20. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I agree that all Wii games should have the option, there seems to be no reason for them not to... in fact, and I could be wrong, I remember reading something about that being one of the benefits of the Wii, brining gaming to everyone regardless of hand preference.

I was born ambidextrous but have grown to rely on my left hand for "intellectual" and "creative" tasks while my right hand seems most of the grunt work. I have noticed that with Brain age on the Wii that I score better when playing left handed vs right handed, so I also think left handed too.. which is right brain.. ugh one of the issues with ambidextrous people is the deciphering of left and right they both seem so familiar.. so my hope is that developers will be including the ability to switch the hand preference on the Wii. We need to advise developers that we are out there and we need to be accommodated. I am sure it isn't very hard to make an option to switch hands.

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

hahaa. I think "unique" is a better word.

22. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I'm kind of messed up in this front: natural skills I automatically am left-handed, but taught skils (like writing) I'm right-handed...meh. Though I play tennis with both and am both footed (or neither-footed, depends which way you look at it...:rolleyes: )

23. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i'm quite the same, to make up for the fact that there have never been any left handed scissors available, i am now right handed. I can do most sports both handed.

another benefit of being a lefty - we earn more on average :D

24. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/scissors.html

;)

Nah I'm really left handed its scary.

When i write its almost upside down / backwards my page is turned that much.

I think i have become more left handed as I work on the computer so I'm using the mouse in my left handed, and when i'm drawing or painting I'm always using the brush in my left hand.

Even when I play music on a keyboard my preference is to reverse it. I have a special device that plugs into the keyboard midi port and reverses the keyboard so its completely backwards. Chords etc are totally reversed.

There's just no go on the right for me, i'm totally useless with my right hand. :eek:

25. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

True that! ;) It does offer some advantages in sports (i.e. fencing, bowling, hockey, baseball and many sports where you are tilted that way does confuse the righties) - even Rocky had to learn to box right handed...;)

We are of course better (;)) as mostly everything is tilted toward the righties, so we not only are forced into a state of ambidexterity, but are quite adept at a state they could never hope to master.

Embrace your handicap - start a scolarship fund for the left handed, make some left handed playing cards...have fun with it learn to write totally upsidedown and amaze your friends across the table. Left handedness is not evil...a true leftie would see evil and read it in the proper left handed way - as live...so live lefty, live and learn to master that Wii controller...:)