Wii and Walmart?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Malus, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

Ok, so I'm gonna go to walmart to try and get a wii come launch day...

Has anyone done a camp out at walmart before? How do they go about it? I heard they get their shipments at midnight...so is that when they will be selling the system...I asked someone at walmart but he said he didn't know....looked more like he didnt even care.

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'd guess that the "super" Walmarts will start thier sales at midnight (they've done this in the past for popular movies and things, not sure about video games). Regular Walamrts aren't open till 7am or so, though. I'm guessing that you should be able to snag a Wii on launch day from a big box retailers, Nintendo has been UPPING shipping estimates since the initial announcement, rather than decreasing them.

3. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I would print this barcode out and have somebody in the electronics department scan that into there scanner doo-hickey -- it should say how many that certain wal-mart will get on launch day...

I personally haven't tried this but I found it on digg so take it as you will

4. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I was in a Super Wal-Mart late one night, and there was a big line in the game section. I found out after asking someone that it was the night the PSP came out (you can tell I cared so much :rolleyes: other than they were blocking me from looking at the DS games). So apparently, Super Wal-Mart's will start selling gaming items at midnight on the day it's released.

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I'm no fan of Walmart but they sure seem to be paying attention to the Wii.

Here is a 30 pages Wii buyer's guide they printed.

Too bad they scaled down the classic controller on page 6. It makes the Wii looks gigantic. ^_^

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I bought my Gamecube at day before/launch day at a 24hr Walmart. I got there around 5:30pm and was the 3rd one there; they had all of us lining up in the hardware aisle (but we were all allowed to sit down on the floor, which is what we all eventually did). Everyone was really cool, we all took turns on bathroom breaks and all talked about the Gamecube, games in general, and most of us played GBA the whole time or read magazines. Later that night, around 9 or 10ish, a manager came around and said they'd start handing out tickets just to reserve our spots just in case someone had to take another restroom break, and then a few hours later right before midnight they started lining us up and asking which color we wanted; they said they had 30 each. Some people did end up lining up around 11:55 and they still got Gamecubes, but I was still more than happy to get there early to be sure.

Basically in a nutshell I've seen them do this with the Gamecube, Xboxes, 360s and PSPs. Get there early if you want to wait, I'm sure they'll post signs up at the store telling you where to go or you could always ask a manager or someone in electronics. They'll sell them at midnight if it's a 24hr store. I plan on going around 6pm again this time around.

From what I understand - since Walmart is (apparently) the largest retailer in the US, they get the most # of consoles on day one, so - waiting at a Walmart is a safe bet. Of course hopefully this is all a moot point and there's tons of consoles to go around (as Nintendo's said) but again...better safe than sorry. I'd rather sit around for 6 hours knowing I'll walk home with a console than come in at the last minute and be one minute too late. Also - keep in mind that while all Super Walmarts are 24hr stores, there are many regular Walmarts that are also 24hrs and some that aren't; just because you don't live around a Super Walmart doesn't mean you're out of luck. Check the hours of the stores nearest you. :) In my case, I live 5mins away from a 24hr regular Walmart, 15mins away from a Super Walmart, 20mins from *another* 24hr regular Walmart, and 15mins away from a regular Walmart with regular hours (I think its 8a-11p). Yeah - I think I'm getting a launch console without any problems. :D

7. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is a 24 hour one. So this is good, I'll probably go around 5 or 6 pm on saturday and wait til midnight...my brother offered to come with, so thats awesome for me...thanks for everyones help...hopfully third times a charm...already tried reserving at EB and TRU....Walmart, please pull through for me haha!!

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hmm, should I camp at the local Wal-Mart SuperStore or Best Buy?

9. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

Apparently, walmart.com started preorders today nov. 1st. And are already sold out.

I hope in store isn't today, I have classes til late :( Can anyone confirm if they are in store today?

10. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Walmart has never done in-store console pre-orders, I don't see why they would start with the Wii.

And I've "camped out" at Walmart for the PSP and the 360. For the PSP, I got there around 7pm and I was second in line. The 360 I got there around noon and was 6th in line. Walmart is just down the road from me so I just take a trip once every hour or two until there is someone waiting and then I wait from then on. I'm expecting to get there around 2-3pm for the Wii.