Wii are the luckiest couple in the world!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by bowens, Nov 6, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

My wife is not a gamer. Let me start from the beginning. The only system she ever owned before we got married was an NES. She had one game for it, Mario/Duck Hunt. That was the extent of her gaming before me. Since we've been together I've gotten her to play a little bit of Project Gotham Racing 2 on the XBox and she will play a few games on the DSLite, but that's about it. So Friday night I was looking at a Nintendo Power magazine that had a Wii on the cover and she asked me a pretty good question. The conversation went something like this.

Wife: How much is the Wii going to be?
    Me: $250 and it comes with Wii sports. That's a lot cheaper than the XBox 360 or the PS3. Why, do you want one?
    Wife: (Shrugs) Maybe.
    Me: Well maybe we could get one for Christmas.
    Wife: Okay. But maybe we should pre-order one so we are sure we get one.

I was blown away. I thought if I asked for a Wii she'd tell me that I've already got enough games, but now she says she wants one. This is great.

Does anybody know if there are still any available for pre-order anywhere? I doubt it. I might just have to go to my local Wal-Mart the night they launch. I told her that I game I will be getting is Zelda.

For her, the non-gamer, what would be some good games that she might enjoy?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is your wife my mum, pops :D That is exactly how it happened in my house. I've been over the story a million times so I wont again. But it resulted in someone who hasn't played a game since Super Mario Bros (with Duck Hunt ;) ) wanting the new system.

Strange.

The non-gamers in my family are after Wii Sports. Bowling and golf are looking like the big ones for me, baseball looks a little weak and tennis might get a little too frantic. My sister (a semi-non gamer) is really after Day of Disaster (or whatever its called!). My mum just wants to download Mario Bros again and try and complete it this time. She'd be a step above me if she did ;)

3. Lau Guest

I can't wait for us to get ours. I wouldn't say I'm a non-gamer (cause I'm quite good at Mario :D ), but the SNES is probably my favourite console and I don't play that often, and so may well like similar games to your wife. I think we're getting Wii Sports, Wii Play, Ray-Man and Zelda, and I think out of them I'm looking forward to Wii Sports and Wii Play the most. The new Duck Hunt looks great. :D

4. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Is the new Duck Hunt in Wii Play? Do you have a link to some info on that? That sounds awesome.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If your mom is American, haha. ;)

I think I could probably convince my mom that a Wii would be nice, and with the way the thing controls it'd be a hit for having some friends over playing Wii Sports or something…

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wii Play. ohhh yes. Forgot about that one! You even get a controller with it.

7. jakubtilly2 macrumors newbie

Wii's seem to be creeping up in most conversations with people!
    the price and the playability seem to be winning over the mild gamers!
    i think it will have the sensation of the best console around where as xbox360 and ps3 i think may go that too far and miss the playability factor!

8. LucasKinder macrumors newbie

i agree with jak! Nintendo have always made great games with the added playability factor and ive noticed my ps2 games seem to look a bit better each time but the playability and novelty factor are wearing thin so the next gen needs to be alot better!!
    Personally im gonna keep my Ps2 and buy a Wii cant wait to hit it out of the stadium in my own lounge!!;)

9. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I haven't been able to find much about this in America. Is this a launch title? What is the price in America?

Edit: just found on Wikipedia it will be released in Japan, Australia and Europe. That sucks.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

not for me it doesn't :D Very glad to see theres a Tank game in there. One of my favourite Amiga games was Tank Attack in multiplayer. uber addictive that was.

11. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Another question. Does the Wii come with component cables or are they separate?

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Separate and apparently they can only be purchased online (which is $#!t). :mad:
    Check srobert's Wii FAQ, the info should be in there.

edit
    tk421 posted this link in the faq, thank god they changed their minds
    http://www.thewiire.com/news/547/1/Kaplan_Component_Cables_at_Retail
    Component cables will be available in retail stores after all :D

13. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Does anybody have anymore info on Wii Sports? Like, how deep the game is. I know it can't be very deep, but say, bowling, golf, tennis tournaments. How many courses are available in the golf game? I saw on IGN that baseball will just be homerun derby so no full games there.

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Seems very basic and rudimentary to me, not really anything to write home about. Bowling sounds great though, and boxing should be good as well (how bad can it be to hold the Wiimote and nunchuck in each hand and throw punches at the screen?). I know they're all multiplayer, I believe 1-4 players. Check this blog post by Matt Cassamina from IGN about what he thinks about Wii Sports, he pretty much explains how each game plays.
    http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2006/10/30/35384/p5

15. Lau Guest

I think it is, yes, along with air hockey and other excitement:

Link.

It's gonna be awesome. :D There's some videos out there on Google somewhere. Oh, and, no, you still can't shoot the dog. :p

16. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

But it's not going to be available in the US right?

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No idea. Wikipedia might mean the game won't be a launch title in the US, or it just doesn't come with a controller. inwhich case it would be a lot cheaper, it's a full price Wii game here.

18. Lau Guest

Was it this bit that threw you off?

It's just badly worded, I think. I think it means it's just not coming bundled with a Wiimote outside those countries, but is still being released. I could be wrong though.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah of course, the release date says TBA for America.

20. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

The Wii is coming out on 11/19 right? Sunday is an odd day to release a console don't you think? So I think I will plan on going to my local SuperWalMart saturday, 11/18, at about 11:45. It's in a small town so hopefully they won't have a whole lot of demand at midnight. It will be available on Sunday right?

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You Americans get riled about strange release dates don't you! "Apple can't release anything today; it's dinnertime" "Sunday, bloody Sunday". Is it a thing over there that new things must come on on strict days? Just I noticed (or rather put 2 and 2 together, possibly making a million) that games come out at the start of a week?

22. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

As opposed to the Ps3 coming out on a Friday?

I could care less what day it comes out; hell I'd rather it come out on the weekend 'cause it means I don't have to miss a day of work.

As for midnight sales - if you are going to a 24 hour Walmart, then yes they should be selling them at midnight. Apparently Circuit City will open briefly for midnight sales as well, and Best Buy opens an hour early Sunday morning (or so I've heard). Target is regular hours AFAIK.

If you plan on going up there at 11:45 - well good luck to you.
    The 24hr Walmart closest to my home said they'll start lining up people at 8pm (and no earlier than that) so I'll get up there around 7:30 then (originally I was planning on 6pm but I don't want to piss anyone off for being there too early).

11:45 - good luck, I'm sure there will probably be at least 20 people there already. The earlier the better, but I wouldn't go later than 10 myself if I was you.

Games usually come out on Tuesday, but some retailers don't get them until Thursday (for whatever stupid reason). Game stores are always Tuesday, some electronics stores don't get the stock til Thursday (I've seen this happen several times at Best Buy).

23. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

It's just that the majority of releases are on Tuesdays. Movies, games, systems, Apple hardware, they're always released on Tuesday, so I just thought it was kind of odd to be released on a Sunday. I'm not complaining. Saturday would be better so I'd have all day to use it.

24. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Maybe you're right. I will go earlier. Like I said though, it is in a pretty small town so I'm not sure how much demand they will have. That may also mean that they don't have many systems though. I'll call a few days ahead of time and see how many they're getting. I guess I could go a few hours early and play my DSLite.