wii availability from an ignorant consumer

Discussion in 'Games' started by jelloshotsrule, Dec 15, 2006.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is it possible to get a wii here in the US? if so, what's the best spot to get it?

additionally, does wii sports come with it here, or do you have to buy it after the fact? i'm trying to get some gift ideas basically

thanks

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

1. Bestbuy, walmart and ebgames/gamestop will all be putting theirs on sale this Sunday. That's probably your best bet before Christmas. From past weeks, it's best to get there early (5am).

2. Wii sports is included - you don't have to buy it additionally.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Any educated guesses about units in stock per store? i'm looking to get a wii myself, but am somewhat doubtful of my ability to wake up and be personable at 5am, especially with my jetlag.

4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

5. afornander macrumors 6502

i know my local target will be getting TONS of wii's in sunday. a guy that works their said i shouldnt even worry about getting in a line saterday night (buti will). from the sounds of it, they might get over a 100!!!:eek: i cant wait. problem is i have work all week next week and i will have almost no time to play:(

6. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Check WiiSeeker. Just put in your zip code and it will tell you who has them and how many they have. It looks like Best Buys are getting at least 5 each and Target at least 10 for Sunday.

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

8. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

try Costco. I was fourth in line on opening day and I showed up only two hours early. They had 24 units and didn't even have 24 people in line when they opened (in DC). I assume they will also be getting them this sunday and I would expect it to be even easier than on opening day.

by the way its wii plus zelda and excite truck for $339.99 if I remember right.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, that's where all my info is coming from... that and the Kotaku stories they've got on it.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

FYI, on Dec. 10th, I waited from 5:30AM- 8:30AM before being told I was 5 people too late to get a Wii. So buyer beware, you might have to camp out. :p I might try again since many stores will be selling Wiis Sunday the 17th.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

My friend's Wife got a Gamecube years back the same way - Nintendo released a whole slew a week or so before Christmas. The Best Buy had tons of them.

I assume the same thing goes this year for Wii...

You can probably get there at opening if you want to be safe...

12. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Best Buy is supposedly advertising 40 mimimum per store on sunday. Circuit City is advertising 20 minimum per store. I also hear WallMart, ToysRUs, and Target are advertising stock on sunday. Depends on wher eyou live, but a best bet would be to pick a store and get there at least 3 hours early. I have waited w/ friends on 2 separate occasions (they each wanted a Wii- one on launch day, one a week later) and on both occasions got there between 2 and 3 hours prior to opening. Both were successfull.

This is the last weekend before Christmas to get one- so if you really want one, you better get there early.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What I find interesting is that two area Targets I've been to have already put plenty of Wii remotes on the shelves despite previous rumors that the shortage of remotes was partially responsible for the delays to the 17th.

Since I plan to buy a Wii sometime next year and wanted to play with Darwiinmote I picked one up a few nights ago...

B

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The Wiis are so hot right now, even eBay is sold out. :D

I'm hoping to score one this Sunday.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Component Cables

Anyone know if I'd be able to get the component cables?

16. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I paid cash up front for my first Wii from a small shop about a month and a half before release. On release day I did the same thing, gave him cash up front and told him to give me a call when the next shipment comes in. I just picked up my second Wii today with a free game because the shop sold the Wii they were holding for me(with my permission) last weekend for a premium price. Here is a site with some tips on how to get a Wii or PS3. Good Luck

http://blogs.tech-recipes.com/davak/2006/12/14/how-to-get-a-wii-or-ps3/

17. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Be there at 4am, if Black Friday was any indication. I got to the store at 5am, and there was a line already about 20 deep. Bring a chair and sleeping bag. No shame in that. This system and games is well worth the effort.

18. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

If you get one, be safe with it. People are going to be desperate, and its not worth getting clubbed in the head with a lead pipe while you're walking to your car. Or have someone break into your car and nick it after you get home.

19. afields macrumors 6502

afields

man, even the ds lites are out of stock in my area...

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Still a couple of hours to sign up with Amazon for their next batch of Wiis. If you sign up in the next few hours you have a chance of buying a Wii at retail price on Tuesday.

B

21. blueskybyway macrumors member

Long lines

I showed up at Target this morning at 5:45 and the line was already 70 deep. http://www.ps3seeker.com/wii/ had shown the store was getting between 10 and 50. Went to another Target several miles down the road and the line was similar. Went back home. I'll order after Christmas. :)

22. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Mildly disappointed.

Called Bestbuy last night to see if i could get any hints on how to get a wii this morning, and some idiot said "Just come in the morning". When I got there at 8, I realize that the only people waiting for the store to open were those who had tickets from the night before. I'm not completely miffed that I didn't get a Wii (I have at least some patience), but I'm pretty annoyed that the Bestbuy employees can't tell customers how things are done.

Half an hour after store openings, Circuit City, Toys R Us, EB Games and Gamestop were all sold out. I had no idea there were that many geeks in Vermont. Well- that many moms of geeks, that is.

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The boyfriend did his turn this weekend (I went two weekends ago :p) he arrived around 4:45AM waited 'til store opened... he was 8th in line. They had 7. Sigh. This is such a hassle.