Wii BRICKED!

Discussion in 'Games' started by nermal0, Dec 13, 2006.

1. nermal0 macrumors regular

I kinda liked the idea to read email on my Wii, so I set up a procmail rule to forward all incoming mail from my account to the Wii. Worked beautifully for two days, although there are limitations with image attachments.

Last night the slot light pulsated and got me excited about new email. I turned on the Wii, saw the black screen where you have to press A, then the channel screen came up, and the console completely freezes within a second. No music, no animations, the cursor is stuck. I turned it on and of a hundred times: it always freezes when it is about to update the message count on the lower right. Bummer!!!

There is no way to hard reset the Wii and erase the flash. I called Nintendo today, the guy on the phone was stunned as he never heard this before. I mailed them the Wii today and hope they'll replace it within 7 business days. I hope I get it back before Christmas.

What do we learn from this story: the Wii OS is buggy as of now, don't push the email feature to the limit as it may brick the machine. I for myself will never forward another single email to my next Wii!!

Now gaming consoles behave like personal computers, except for the fact that you cannot fix broken software yourself!

2. paradillon macrumors member

Shouldn't that be "cannot fix bricken software yourself!"

:)

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

GENERALLY when gaming consoles are USED as gaming consoles they work(xbox360,ps2,and all other console bricks acknowledged), its when you expand out to use as a PC that you get burned...

Now the whole linux on PS3 thing is different because from what I have heard it seems pretty decent. However I wonder with all the homebrew capabilities of linux, and seemingly open ended upgradability(HD) of PS3 and the already circumvention of bluray and hddvd movie(on x360) "backups", what would be the movie industry's desire to migrate toward either. DVDs are cheaper to produce and a next gen format war where both formats have already been 'hacked'. Sorry I got a little off topic there.

4. nermal0 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, if Nintendo implements an email feature, why shouldn't I use it then? It was not my idea to extend the console's capabilites to do non-gaming stuff...

Game consoles used to be closed systems, where the only software that got into them was game cartridges or discs, their operating system and maybe savegames from a memory card. Nowadays, users can feed random data into them via flash memory or the Internet, making them vulnerable.

5. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Remember that the console only has 512MB of flash memory for storage, and that it keeps everything forever by default. My mail would fill it up within a week, usually. Maybe you overloaded the poor little guy.

6. nermal0 thread starter macrumors regular

I forwarded about 20 plaintext emails to it spread over two days, each of them between 1 and 5kb in size. Some of them had small image attachments. Mails with more than one image attachment, more than 1MB in total size or with non-JPG attachments are filtered out by Nintendo and never forwarded to the Wii. So I don't think it was a memory issue, but who knows how much memory is actually available to the message inbox?

7. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

You answered your question there

8. nermal0 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but that's a general issue and does not mean Nintendo couldn't have made it invulnerable and stable. I mean if they decide to put in such a feature, they'd better make sure it cannot crash the console and save themselves from the costs for replacement units. But I've learned my lesson already...

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I agree with you nermal, it is an included feature. Nintendo has had the best track record when it comes to quality, so it's a bummer to see these things happening.

I've only been playing games on my Wii. I tried a couple of Wii-mail tests, but that was it.

Have you contacted Nintendo yet?

Something I would try, is to unplug the Wii from the power adapter, video adapter, and sensor bar, then remove the Wii's battery, then hit the power button to clear out any stored charge, then let it sit for about 10 minutes. From this point plug everything back in and try it again.

Too bad the Wii doesn't have a hard reset buttons available?

<]=)

10. nermal0 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack, thanks for your input. I'm also a bit disappointed as I never saw an Nintendo machine crash before! I presume it's inevitable when firmware upgrades allow companies to ship unfinished products, because they always have the option to fix issues later.

I did contact Nintendo, they told me there is nothing I can do except shipping it to their repair division. The button cell battery in the Wii only stores date and time, and even after removing it and leaving the unit with no power for 6 hours, it didn't forget date & time, so there must be a capacitor powering it. Even if it was possible to make the Wii forget date & time, I doubt it would bring it back to life.

Nintendo Germany takes about 7 business days for the repair, so if I'm lucky my Wii will be back before Christmas.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Register a friend as "Other" instead of wii and enter your email address. Then send an email to the Wii from that email address to I think wxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@wii.com where the x's are. This will link your wii and your email address. You can then send emails back and forth. :) Kind of pointless though since writing messages on the Wii is a hassle and a half. If only they'd put USB keyboard support in.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

got it working. if only to see the drive glow ;)

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No that's not what we learnt. We learnt that your Wii unfortunately bricked and Nintendo is fixing it for you. We learnt nothing about the email client or OMG Wii OS is buggy! It's just as likely you've got dud flash memory or another hardware issue. There's no way you can draw those conclusions based on your isolated experience and extrapolate to everyone. *If* it was an OS problem people everywhere would be having similar trouble and making a song and dance about it (and as you said noted the rep has never heard of the issue). I use mine for email regularly as do my friends without a flaw.

You should wait to hear what Nintendo say is the problem and what they advise before jumping to conclusions.

16. nermal0 thread starter macrumors regular

You are right, it could be something else. I'm still pretty sure the email forwarding caused it. But let's indeed wait what Nintendo says.
    Well, good on ya! Then you certainly wouldn't mind to PM me your email address so I can forward the mails that crashed my Wii to yours, just to prove that I'm wrong, do you? :D

From what I see on forums here and elsewhere, not many people forward all their mail to the Wii as it requires some scripting (changing the sender address). This post is not meant to generalize, but more as a warning to other Wii users that email might eventually break things and may lead to a time consuming replacement procedure.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No thanks nermal I don't think I'll risk it just in case :D! I just wanted to point out your evidence didn't support the conclusions you drew. Don't want to risk bricking my precious :p! I hope it's all sorted out for you soon :).

18. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I wouldn't think so, but is it possible to access your Wii mail through POP [IMAP, whatever] on a computer? If so, try going in there and deleting all your mail.

I wouldn't personally forward "all" my mail to a console simply because of limited functionality from it. For example, I know that my computers mail program can handle whatever is thrown at it, but what's my console gonna do when there's an attached .zip or .exe or .doc or .sit or included images with .tiff's, .png's, .gif's,; the list goes on [even further, what are the file limitations of emails for the console? Can it handle a single mb file attachment or will it crash?]. What about those forwarded messages from supposed "friends" that have 5 billion fwd attachments on it?

I'm sure it could handle a fair amount but with all the crap that gets sent around through emails...... you never know.

19. nermal0 thread starter macrumors regular

As far as I know, this is impossible. My eMail resides on the Nintendo Servers and there is no way I can access it. Even worse: the person who gets my refurbed Wii will probably even receive my emails stored there!

It seems that every attachment except JPEG is deleted by the Nintendo Mail Server and never forwarded to the console.

I called Nintendo today and asked them why the replacement takes so long. Their answer was they need to "backup" all the data on the Wii and transfer it to the new one, even though I told them I don't need my savegames I just want my Wii back quickly. It took them one week till my Wii showed up in their repair database! This sucks, I guess Christmas will be Wii-less :(

20. nermal0 thread starter macrumors regular

Got my replacement unit today, in time for christmas, yay! The following items were in the box:

• a new Wii with latest firmware and different serial number
    • my old accessories
    • a pack of Maxell batteries
    • a new wrist strap on my Wiimote
    • handwritten letters "S.W." on the inside of my Wiimote compartment (what does that mean??)
    • a Gameboy Micro lanyard (??)
    • a piece of paper from Nintendo, stating only that they replaced the unit, no info on the reason of the crash
    • lots of bubble wrap

The system works great, I'm currently browsing these forums on the Wii Opera browser released tonight :D

Even though it took more than a week: thanks Nintendo! And I'm not going to use email on my Wii ever again!!