Wii Classic Controller-- Necessary?

Discussion in 'Games' started by devilot, Jan 9, 2007.

1. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I did a search for it, but didn't find anything relevant. :eek:

Aside from the virtual old school games, is there another reason to get the Classic Controller?

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

*EDIT*
    Never mind, I just realized it probably doesn't work for GC games. :eek:

I have GC controllers, but I like the joypad layout on the Classic Controller better, since it's like the PS2 setup. The digital-pad to my right has always caused me pain on my GC.

Anyway, I really like the CC quite a bit from what I've tried, so I just need to buy one for myself now. :eek:

<]=)

3. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yeah, I was also curious about the CC working for GC games 'cause we have one GC controller... Hmm. Thanks for the quick reply, though. Just wondering 'cause I have some in an e-tailer's shopping cart and am waiting on what I hear here before actually buying them. :eek:

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Correct, when you load a GC game, the Wii Remote (and the Classic Controller, if plugged in,) are disabled. You can't even press the 'Home' button to return to the main Wii menu. The only way to get out of a GC game is to press the reset button on the Wii itself.

So the Classic Controller is useless for GC games.

And all Virtual Console games work with either a GameCube controller *OR* a Classic Controller. (Some also work with just the Wii Remote turned on its side, but some require the 'bigger' controller, especially N64 games.) And some games have their controls set up so that they are easier to play on the Classic Controller than a GameCube controller. (Mario 64 is one of them. It can be hard to play on the GameCube controller, but is easier on the CC.)

So if you have a GameCube controller, and you like it just fine, just use it. Only if you plan on doing a lot of Virtual Console gaming, and don't like the GC controller, should you get the CC.

5. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Wow. Great detailed response, ehurtley. I really appreciate it. That and you just saved me $44.xx! :D :eek:

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

$44 for a Classic Controller? They're just under $20 here, if you can find one of course. :)

I've been using my GC controller for Street Fighter 2 and R-Type. It's kind of eh for both, especially SF2, but I like it better than turning the Wiimote sideways for R-Type.

I just got two of these on eBay, so I won't be buying a CC anytime soon; :D
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/392/392312p1.html

The VC games are more fun than I had anticipated and are constantly calling for me to buy them. :eek:

<]=)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I do hope they have a firmware update to allow classic controller for cube games, but realise its probably vein hope. It's ugly to have a wavebird adpater plonked in the top of the wii :eek:

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Its completely possible for them to do that. You dont have to change controllers to play a PS2 game on a PS3, i dont see why Nintendo cant just release a firmware update to allow you to use the classic controller on GCN games.

Ed

9. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nah that's the price for 2 of them +salex tax. ;) And I had them in my cart 'cause I know that they're hard to come by 'round here, too.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

problem is when you boot up the cube games it goes completely seperate to the wii, so a firmware might change wii, but if the cube part is cut off completely then it wont make any difference :eek:

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

True. There's probably no emulation layer for playing a gamecube game on the Wii. Why would there be? Also, does anyone if anything happens while holding down A (or Z) when you start a gamecube game? Does it function the same as the gamecube by going into the system settings?

12. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

No, nothing happens. There are no GC system settings on the Wii.

13. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Certain Wii games might also take inputs from the CC. DBZ is one - explicitly says you can use it at startup. Smash Bros. might as well. So, not just VC, although it gives the truest experience in that.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm picking up a Classic Controller tomorrow. Figured theres no point in buying a new iPod when my old one works perfectly. Might as well spend my money on other fancy looking glossy white items.

But yea. Some upcoming Wii games supposedly use the classic controller (or just a cube controller) such as Smash Bros Brawl. And I too would love to see a Classic Controller/Cube patch :)

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

A cube patch would be great. I prefer the CC's button layout over the Cube's setup.

*rant*
    If only Metal Slug Anthology supported the classic controller. I'm going to buy this game, but I'm a bit bummed that it doesn't have any one control setup that's tradditional. Its cube support is only for the analogue stick. What were they thinking...

<]=)

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So I picked one up today.

GAME had stickers saying £14.99 but was actually £17.99, bit of complaining and I got it discounted :D

If the 360 is the best 3D controller I've used, the VC is the best 2D one. It's absolutely beautiful. A joy to hold, frankly it's the best d-pad ever. Zl and Zr make really strange but good pingy noises. Love the (same for the Wii remote too) A an B buttons. that glassy effect I adored on the Xbox and 360 controller has matured into something beautiful there.

If they release a Cube patch for this I will just be overjoyed. Would definitely kick start me into some of my Cube games again. I just can't use the GC controller now... feels so dated. Get bored of controllers every so often, probably why I cant stand that PS3 controller.

17. applekid macrumors 68020

There definitely has to be an update somewhere down the line that will enable the CC for GameCube games. I believe those shoulder buttons are analog. You can press them in slightly and then completely they will do the "digital click" just like the GameCube controller. I think Nintendo will stop making GameCube accessories soon, so get what you can now. The Wii hardware down clocks the CPU and GPU to run GameCube games. Otherwise, I don't know what's happening in GameCube mode.

I think the CC controller is very necessary for SNES games. I don't think any of the current VC games require it, but the game I can think off the top of my head where a GameCube controller wouldn't be as useable is Super Mario World. It's going to be awkward to fly or run and jump. You have to hold down Y and then B to do that. Not exactly easy with the GameCube controller.

18. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Not sure why the damn wire comes out the bottom, though...it's a bit annoying.

I prefer the GC to Classic controller for Mario 64, if only b/c the control seems tighter (I can't stand having an analog stick in a non-primary thumb position a la Dual Shock), and - mainly - the Z button is far easier to reach and press on a regular basis.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Funny Applekid, I made the same observation today. Tried to think of a classic controller that used analogue shoulders with a digital click. Just the Gamecube. Now release this patch Nintendo :D

Just think of all them people buying Wii's after missing out on the Gamecube, only to have to buy a GAME official controller. urgh.

20. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

My jealousy ensues. :p

I so want a freaking CC. I'm thinking about trading in the vomit that is Red Steel in for one. :)

My Arcade sticks shipped this morning. :D I'm having a SF2 and SNK vs Capcom fest when they arrive.

The 360's controller is the most comfortable IMO also.

<]=)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh hells yes. only problem with the 360 controller, and I think its evident in SF2 and very noticable when I'm developing my 2D games with a PC wired one - it simply isn't that great for 2D. the dpad makes me vomit and is in the wrong place, resting position of thumbs are over X and A (to me at least) rather than bang in the middle of them all. Just little things. But godly perfect for 3D.

I just really wish the CC was put to more use at the moment. I'd definitely pick up another one once Streets of Rage 2 comes out :D

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I haven't played the 360 for 2D games, but I can imagine it sucking like you mentioned, since its layout is similar to the GC's controller. I ripped the skin off my thumb when I first got Capcom vs SNK, because of the stupid d-pad placement.

I'm getting a classic controller as soon as my friend gets more in. It will be great for R-Type, the game I like to mention quite a bit. :) I just noticed that Dungeon explorer support 5 peeps. :eek: That sounds like a great way to kill a weekend.

<]=)

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's not too bad, in fairness it's better than the dpad on a dual shock. I hate those. And yes the GC dpad was awful too. WAY too small altogether.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

GC dpad was a monstrosity. How Nintendo gave the go ahead for that is beyond me.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's what you get when you allow oompa loompa to do your R&D for you ;)