wii classic controller

Discussion in 'Games' started by afornander, Nov 17, 2006.

1. afornander macrumors 6502

when i get my wii, will i have to get the wii classic controller to actualy play the n64, snes, and nes games? if i do that would sukc, i dont want to pay an extra $20 for somthin i should be able to do right out of the box

2. Malus macrumors 6502

No one knows...some say you can use the gamecube controller, some say you cant...and some say that the GC contrller only works on like n64 games and snes games....and no genesis games....so who knows....personally I'm getting one cause they look neat.

3. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

You can use a GameCube controller. And for NES games you can use the Wiimote.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

This is stated in the Wii FAQ here.

Q. Can I use a GameCube controller to play Virtual Console games?

A. Yes. All virtual console games can be played using the Classic Controller or Nintendo GameCube pads. Source

5. afornander thread starter macrumors 6502

great! thanks, glad i got that old gamecube collecting dust in the closet ;) my mom used to be adicted to super mario for snes, and i loved the classic Zelda's:D

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Nice, this is like the first toe for backwards capability for hardware. Which is awesome cause the Wavebirds kick serious ass, and hopefully they'll go down in price. GC has the best designed controller IMO.

7. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Genesis is Classic-controller only.

From Joystiq:

NES/TG-16 - Classic, GC, Wii Remote
    SNES, N64 - Classic, GC
    Genesis - Classic only

8. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I love the look of the Classic Controller so much that I wish I had the option of playing Zelda:TP and other Wii games on it.

9. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

same here dude... looks like an SNES controller on steroids. i don't even have wireless (yet) and i'm gettin one. (by the way... if i get an Airport Express, should that work?)

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You dont need the wii, you need a cube ;)

11. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

hehe, yeah it sounds like it, right? No, I really think I'll end up liking the new Wii controllers just fine. Just excited about products that look Apple-quality. :p

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I've heard it said in a few places that the Classic Controller actually comes with Wii points, I've heard 2000 as the magic number. Has this been confirmed/debunked yet?

If it's true it makes the ~$20 purchase of the Classic Controller nearly free when you get it's value back in VC games.