Wii component cables

Discussion in 'Games' started by rye9, Dec 26, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I got the Wii component cables today to use with my HDTV, yet Wii sports plays in 480i.. why is this??

2. DMPDX macrumors 6502

I thought normaly the Wii played everything in 480p, but just with the component cables you could play in 480i.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, now I've gotten confused about this relatively recently... :eek: But if you use composite cables or S-video cables, I think you will *always* send out an interlaced signal. You need to move over to a high-def compatible standard (component or D-sub/VGA for analog, DVI / HDMI for digital) to be able to get progressive scan. It is still possible to end up with an interlaced signal, but progressive signals only go out on those connectors, from what I understand.

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Go into your Wii settings and make sure that the resolution is set to EDTV/HDTV.

The game supports it. Overall the graphics are simplified, so the difference between 480i and 480p is just sharpness. You can see a difference though.

Some games like Rayman don't support 480p, not sure why, but I figure that by next year all games will regardless.

<]=)

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Component cables are progressive.

<]=)

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Where did you get them?

I can't find any of the Nintendo ones around Chicago.

Component cables can output 480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p.

Copyright encryption makes it only output certain formats depending on what you're playing (games, HD-DVD, Bluray, etc.)

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Wii outputs 480p maximum.
    But yes, component cables can carry a signal of 1080i.
    I thought 1080p was restricted to HDMI/DVI or VGA. :confused:

8. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I ordered the cables through nintendo.com, came pretty quickly. They make a BIG difference in how the games look. Well worth it, although they should have been included! I cant believe the Wii didnt at LEAST have S-Video out of the box.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, but with hi-def, S-Video doesn't really solve the most important problems. It doesn't output the kinds of progressive scan resolutions that HDTVs want and it won't eliminate HD lag. Although it does provide a better image.

I was poking around on the net, and I noticed that during the GameCube rollout, Nintendo deleted the component outs from the GC because their research indicated less than 1% of American buyers were using it.

I wonder, once you leave the hallowed halls of a place like MR, what the percentage is like now? It must be much more than 1%, but the HD penetration in the home market is still very low. Of course, there's probably a strong correlation, and there is probably a larger percentage of Wii owners who own HD than there is of people who do not have next-gen consoles.

10. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Rayman does support 480p but only the PAL version of the game... it was probably a time constraint problem or something like that...

bandwidth wise component is not restricted to 1080p (or even more) which means it technically can do it but I think it has some limitations or something by these HD companies, I'm not really knee deep in those matters, I just know that component can in fact do 1080p and more.

And the wii could eventually do more than 480p, if Xbox could have 720p games and PS2 had a 1080i game then I'm sure we will see a few HD games for the Wii.

11. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Sure it potentially could, but will Nintendo allow it? Don't hold your breath...this is Nintendo we're talking about. ;) Then again, they could pull a 180 overnight, release a system update, and the Wii outputs a higher end signal. But again - I wouldn't hold your breath. :D

Since the Gamecube (at maximum) output a 480p signal, and the Wii is a "2-3x more powerful than Gamecube" system, I don't know. The problem is - no one will ever know if the Gamecube was capable of more than 480p and it was Nintendo restricting the output, or if it wasn't powerful enough to go over 480p.