Wii - Component to DVI, will the ACD accept it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by suneohair, Nov 19, 2006.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Hey all. I want to find a way to play my Wii through my 23" ACD.

My original plan was a elgato Hybrid. But I was thinking, would it accept a component signal converted to DVI?

I remember trying to hook up a PS2 through a Viewsonic N4, converting the VGA to DVI and to no avail.

The Component to DVI would convert it to a digital signal which the ACD would accept no?

Thanks for your help.

2. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I'm not sure, but I don't think. In that case you would be able to do the same with the Xbox 360, which would mean I owned an ACD by now. My answer is no.:)

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

In a word no. For the Wii and an ACD, Elgato Hybrid is your friend.

4. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

this is something that interests me although is the elgato hybrid really the best solution? it says almost no latency, meaning that there is some. it just depends how noticeable it is and whether it would be more so because of the pointer of the wii remote. also it says that it comes with composite and s-video connections only so that wouldn't even all the 480p proscan. is there really nothing better? someone's got to be missing a trick.

5. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

If the Wii has a component out, there is The Ultimate Soloution. I know it's $350, but it works.

BTW, this is for pre-order only. Can't seem to find out when they're shipping.:confused:

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

480p isn't supported by the Elgato Hybrid because it doesn't support component in. There will be a slight lag although many people use these things for gaming and haven't noticed any problems. Its not like the Windows USB (not USB2) TV cards of old which had to compress the signal to fit it down the USB1 pipe. That encoding and subsequent decompress on the other end of the cable took time and really *was* noticeable.

There are four ways you can go about this:

1) Sell the ACD, get a Dell (unless you want 30" in which case you're stuffed either way.
    2) Find a Component -> DVI Scaler, you're talking between $300 and $1000.
    3) Buy a TV that supports 480p.
    4) Get a decent USB2/Firewire TV card and deal with it.

7. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

4) Get a decent USB2/Firewire TV card and deal with it.

Any recommendations here? Thanks.