Wii Connection with Intel iMac.s

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacTT, Nov 19, 2006.

1. MacTT macrumors member

hey everyone. :)

I have decided to use the airport inside my Mac to connect to the Wii. Problem is, I have no clue how to begin. I have been trying so hard following Nintendo's site and the manuals but I seem to be missing stuff. SSID's etc. It's so hard!

Does anyone know a how I should begin? I think by making a network? If I can start with that, then I think I can follow what Nintendo is telling me to do. Thank you! :D

2. munchmime macrumors member

interesting...

I'm not exactly sure either, but I would like ot know. perhaps I'll play around with it myself.

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Go to System Prefs and go to Sharing.

Click on "Share Internet to Computers Using Airport From Airport"

4. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok! Wow, wait a minute. This is what I got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Is your iMac connected to the internet via Airport? If so, then you don't need to use your iMac to get the Wii online, just connect your Wii to the same wireless network that your iMac is on.

If your iMac is connected via Ethernet, then change that drop down box to "Share your connection from Ethernet", then check the box (which should appear) next to "Airport" in the "To computers using" box. I haven't actually done this, so that's about as much detail as I can offer...

6. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I am connected via Ethernet Cord. Its cable. hmmm let me go try it now..

EDIT: Didn't work :S. bobber205, what else am I supposed to do?

7. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

8. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

I posted some info about this yesterday on the IGN boards. I will copy/paste here for you. (It's a round up of various bits of info from this board about connecting the DS via Airport so don't give me credit)

" First of all. Make sure Airport is on but not connected to anything.
    Now open up "System Preferences" > "Sharing" > "Internet" tab. Before starting make sure you don't have firewall on.
    Go to "Airport Options" in the bottom right. Choose a name, choose Automatic channel (or 1 or 11), WEP key if you want, then press Start.

Now, with the Wii search for Hotspots. Your Mac should come up, with the name you chose.
    If you have WEP, enter the key and then test the connection. It's doubtful it'll work at this stage (but if it does good for you : ])

Go into the Wii settings and choose to manually input all the details. I'm not sure what your options are since I don't have a Wii, so I will just post what the DS has.

SSID (Name): This should already be there, but if not put the name you chose.
    WEP Key: Whatever your key is
    *IP Address: 10.0.2.11 (As far as I know, the last digit needs to have 10 added to it. So for e.g. if you have 5, change the last digit to 15 etc)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.2.1
    Primary DNS: 10.0.2.1
    Secondary DNS 10.02.1

This seems to be the settings that work for almost everyone. I have heard of some people using a different set of DNS numbers:
    Primary DNS: 4.2.2.1
    Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2

This has also worked, though I'm not sure why:
    Primary DNS: 128.32.136.9
    Secondary DNS 128.32.136.12
    Worth a try I guess...

I know it looks like a long shot using other peoples configurations. But a lot of people seem to be able to use the same settings. I guess it's down to having the same Mac/Airport card or something.

* If you open up Terminal, and type "ifconfig" you can find the IP you need.
    Eg:
    inet6 fe80::214:51ff:fe81:6066%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
    inet6 fe80::20a:95ff:fee7:d42c%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
    inet 10.0.2.8 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255
    ether 00:14:51:81:60:66
    media: autoselect status: active
    supported media: autoselect

The part in bold is your IP, and should ALWAYS start with 10. So, for this one, it ends in 8, in theory your IP for the Wii should be changed to 18 because you need to add 10 to the end, you could also try 8 of course.
    (Mine ends in 1 which is why I changed it to 11)

It's a bit of a mess, and I don't know enough to help much, but hopefully this will help someone out there."

9. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

The above info has worked on everyone who has tried to connect either their Wii or DS via Airport over an ethernet connection (So not using a wireless router).
    If it doesn't work for you I will be very suprised! (But will try my best to help further).

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

10. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

DNS:
    Go to terminal and put in, dig
    On the bottom where it saids SERVER, put that IP address as your DNS.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051119155606277

Note to students on univeristy dorms, if your network requires you to register MAC addresses, make sure to register your Wii MAC address.

11. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

AHH!!! IT WORKED!! OMG! I CAN'T BELIEVE!

Thanks everyone! My Wii is currently updating and I hope it doesn't crash :).

One last question though, I do not have the WEP security up because it keeps rejecting my password. Why?!?!?!

Thanks! :D

12. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Anyone know if it's possible/how to get WEP keys when you share an ethernet connection through airport? I can see how to turn WEP on, and type a password...but I still need WEP keys.

13. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

When sharing internet with non-Apple computers:
    A 40-bit WEP Key needs exactly 5 characters.
    A 128-bit WEP Key needs exactly 13 characters.

According to my Mac : ]
    Hope that helps.

14. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

When I configured my DS Lite with my AirPort Express, I needed to create a 26-digit WEP Key to make it work. FYI.

It was: 12345678901234567890123456. :)

Daniel.