Wii connection?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, May 2, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

I've heard several things about the Wii being able to be hooked up to a computer monitor. does anyone think it'll be able to be hooked up to a G4 powerbook? if it is, ill be gettin' 2 or 3 Wii's-- or 4 if i want.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If it'll hook up to a TV it'll hook up to a Mac if you have one of those fancy in between boxes (tons of threads on hooking a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube to your Mac screen). Unless they come out with some proprietary TV plug which... they won't.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Let's just wait and see on this, actually.

Nintendo did say it would work with a computer monitor, but that was back in 2004 and one of the first comments made on the system. So very much has changed since then that we can't really be sure if the computer monitor connectivity is true or not.

I've only seen one video output on the back of the Revolution. Though it's possible that it's a digital output and Nintendo will release a DVI or VGA adapter for it.

As for a G4 PowerBook- of course not, you can't use a laptop as a monitor. You could always buy a TV capture card and hook it to the PowerBook and hook that to your Mac.

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

It'd be really cool if they managed to slot a DVI port on the Wii allowing it to hook up to a monitor, guess we'll know pretty soon *E3*

SHadoW

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

*prays for VGA output*

Why? I have a spare VGA port on my monitor. Loves DVI, doesn't want a splitter.
    If it's just composite then I don't know. I mean it won't be, it runs at 480p. So there will be some kind of digital connection... right?

VGA. Everyone here now has a form of VGA monitor, a lot of people have monitors. works with nintendos "include everyone" mantra.

6. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

Component connections give a 480p signal (and higher) through analogue connections. They could supply a converter such as with the mac mini. I personally would love to have it connected to one of my 20" ACDs. However the question of audio output is something to be considered as in general monitors have no speakers. also it would require a seperate audio only connection on the wii as neither dvi or component carry sound. meaning more fiddling with adaptors and wires, which wouldn't really fit with the nintendo ethos.

7. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

In the meantime. Here is a screenshot for a Wii game. (Rayman Raving Rabbids)

It's the first real one I've seen for myself, not counting the scans.

Thanks Wii-x2.

raggedjimmi, I'd like to hear your analysis. You can usually identify a bunh of GPU features and specs just by looking at a screenshot. ^_^

Am I the only one happy to see a widescreen wii screenshot? ;)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
  8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I was wondering why it looked so bad, then realized someone stretched the image from 720x480 to some much higher resolution.

9. woxel1 macrumors member

For the love of god Nintendo, give Wii games a 16x9 standard. If your handhelds are widescreen, your consoles should be too!!!

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

They didn't mess with the aspect ratio, right? Please say it's still a widescreen game. That aphro still looks round to me.

Edit: This game is announced for many current and next gen consoles. That means that the screenshot might not be very represntative of a specific console capabilities.

11. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

I'm just waiting to see some nintendo screenshots. it goes without saying that they will be far more indicative of the the wii's power.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The pink hair afro looks volumetric. going off the light bouncing off it. I can't tell any bloom or HDR there, well, there could be. the lighting looks very dynamic, it has a soft light glow. cannot see any shadows.
    heh, it's a very bad shot. they're hiding things like shadow, light, aperture, DoF. Can't tell about AA because of the resized image too. hmph!

that little rabbit at the back is damn cute though :D

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They didn't.

And EA already announced that Madden Wii supports 480p and Widescreen.

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=237

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

damn it ...:

quote from ign:

looks like this is gonna be another awesome rayman adventure

15. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Translation:

"Cause we've been programming Madden widescreen since 2002 with the Xbox and PS2, only now Nintendo finally supports the format."

16. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I noticed that.

Low poly count, but the hair is very, VERY well lit. EXTREMELY well.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Starfox, Tony Hawk, F-Zero GX, Battalion Wars, TS2 (possibly?), Metroid Prime could change the "stretch" of the display, Rebel Strike (?) from my collection are in widescreen.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye it's all about lighting and physics these days. they do seem to have a soft-glow though, right? I mean I'm not the only person seeing that? I've only seen that in HDR demo's the way it's done so delicately but it's still there... though I don't think soft light counts as HDR. I'd prefer a much more contrasting shot. Like the Red Steel ones but not magazine scan shots. Those show blatant signs of bloom lighting. They have bloom. In Metroid Prime 3.

the right emoticon is a fusion of :D :eek: :cool: :p ;) :)

20. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Back to the original comment, about computer monitors, I'm hoping for/betting on an HDMI connector. They are pretty standard, and are backwards compatible with DVI. I hope they make 480p widescreen mandatory on all games... that will combat a lot of the negative feelings for not having HD.

Also, connecting it to your notebook is not a good idea. The only way to get video onto that display would be with a TV converter, which would add a small but very noticable delay while playing a game.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You have to consider, however, that it could also just be an illusion and they just happened to take a screenshot with that effect.

You also have to consider that it is a strong possibility (even likelyhood) that the screenshot is from the GameCube version.

Heck, it could be from the XBox 360 version since it's been announced for "current and next-gen systems"!

I don't think we can judge much about the Wii from this shot.

22. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think now we're grasping at straws. especially with E3 in a number of sleepless nights.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've seen others claiming it was a PS2 screenshot.

The screen shot was just attached to Ubisoft's press release. I don't know if they actually said what platform the screenshot was for.