Wii could get HD?

Discussion in 'Games' started by rye9, Jul 30, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I know how the Gamecube went thorough 2 revisions... as did the DS (DS->DS Lite). Might Nintendo first launch the Wii then about a year later release an HD capable one?

2. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

it has usb ports on it, so there's no reason you couldn't hook up an external hard drive to it.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Sorry, I shouldve been more specific :eek: . I meant a High Definition, not Hard Drive... sorry for the confusion.

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

oh, well in that case, I highly doubt it. If they released an hd one, then it stands to reason that hd games for it would be incompatable with the original wii; and that would be very unlike nintendo.

5. kinesin macrumors regular

Not quite true tho. Adding HD to a future Wii wouldn't stop the game working in SD - it would still be designed to run at either resolution.
    WiiHD would just enable the option within the game - assuming main CPU/GPU stayed standard and any RAM upgrade (required for the higher res) was only available as framebuffer etc of the output - not general work.

More likely that their next console would be backward compatible but also with HD support (upscaled) much like halo on xbox360

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wouldn't happen. For HD games will require higher capacity discs, I'd imagine games like Zelda and Metroid on 2 discs.

I think I'm the only person on this forum who really doesn't care about HD. who hasn't since the mid 90's. To summarise the 'moment'
    Mate: Hey play Quake on my PC in 800*600
    me: magic!
    *goes home* booo I can only play it in 640*480 on my monitor.
    me: IT'S THE SAME GAME!

:rolleyes:

7. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i don't necessarily think that's true... Metroid for the Cube has incredible graphics all on one 1.5 gigabyte mini disc and the wii will have regular 4.7 gigabyte disc's. (8.5 gigs if u make it double layer.)

wrong again my friend. i don't give a crap about HD. you'd need to spend $1000+ on an HD tv anyway. plus, from the wii graphics we've seen so far; some of them look close to 360 and PS3 stuff. (particularly Excite Truck. that to me almost looks better than the Motorstorm that we saw at E3 for the PS3.)

8. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Yup, I really don't care too much about HD right now either. I'm just not that eager to plop down a few grand right now before the standards have been ratified and even more importantaly before Verizon Fios is available at my home...I really could care less if they have to use a couple of disks. My old copy of FFVIII has 4 disks and I think VII had at least 3! Who cares really, its not that big of a deal to change the disks out every 7 or 8 hours...

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

HD games don't generally require bigger disks. If I run Quake 4 in 640x480 on my MBP, it doesn't take up any less space than when I run it in 1440x900...

I know what you're saying about textures, but it's more the jaggies along model wires that cause problems...

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thing is I've sorta have a HDTV, my 2005FPW offers 720 and 1080 (missing 15 pixels one way and 100 another). My cousin has twin 50" HDTV's that he's willing to sell to me if I ever wanted a *real* HDTV at a very generous price.

but it's not just the cost of the TV.

To run HD the Wii would need 3x as much video ram, it would need a faster video card too. Load times would increase. 512mb internal memory wouldn't be enough all of a sudden. not for caching at least. Up goes the (unannounced) cost of the system.

Just to reiterate what I've said countless times. I'm British. All my systems are bought in England. All we have ever had is 480i. I've sampled 480p with EyeTV and it's incredible. Stuff resolution (480p TV looks excellent on my screen) I just want progressive scan :) I don't even run the 360 in 1080i. I care not for HD video players, the game/film trailers I've seen in 720p don't bowl me over as much as they should be doing.

11. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I doubt it will get HD for the reasons jimmi stated. But I do not care that much. I am already expecting lower resolution graphics than xbox 360 and PS3, but I don't really mind because that controller is just so dang innovative.

12. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

ya as long as the game is fun and innovative, then a HD tv doesnt even matter... you get next to the same graphics on a regular tv

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea lets get hd on the wii so the games will cost even more to develope and more expensive to buy. I have a 360 and when playing it on a hdtv, i dont like it. the reason being hd makes the games look not as smooth graphically in my opinion. you can easily see more sharp edges and the like. the games im talking about is madden 06 which sucks in my opinion anyways

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I wouldn't like it if the Wii went HD, and I certainly wouldn't upgrade like I am with the DS.

The appeal of the Wii, to me, is the innovative controller, and the fact that they aren't stuffing high end useless technology into their system like PS3 and the 360. I don't buy games so I can play them in a "super cool hi-resolution", I buy them because they are enjoyable.

15. sk1985 macrumors regular

The gamecube's second revision took out Higher Def support. On a side note if you want to play your wii in high def you could always buy one of the expensive video processing units for HD TVs. Those processing units can take STD def signals and pump them out at a higher rez. So basically it will scale up the video.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

PAL is 525i.

which is why HD is not all that amazing over here as our TV is so crystal compared to american TV.

it really does make a large difference with games as you just see more detail, and no the games will not take more space, my original xbox games run fine in 720p.

thats pointless, thats exactly what HDTV's do normally, they turn the input picture into a native picture for the screen, you'll just be replaceing something you already have.

17. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I actually think Nintendo's timing is great. By time they're ready to launch Wii 2, HD will be in pretty much everyone's home.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mad, so my TV is 525p, I wondered why US TV always looked so low quality over here. Very blurry.
    For the upscaler bit- regular HDTV's do upscaling but it's without filters or anything special, merely an image resized. Dedicated upscalers cost a fair bit and do a much better job. There's an article in this weekends Live talking about HD myths. Saying again that even if your TV has HDMI/HDCP (whatever it is) and has the "HD Ready" logo you still may need to buy a new one. Especially if it has bad contrast and brightness issues. I can't remember the exact details but it basically spelled doom for early adopters.

HDTV is so far from ready. when equipment for HD is costing this much and having this many problems and doubts, it's a sure sign that we've pushed it a little too far too soon.

19. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I still think that if DVD quality online content delivery (iTunes Movie Store or equivalant) is released in the next year at a reasonable cost it will hurt both HD camps tremendously. Most people don't have HDTVs and don't want to spend the money on it despite its advantages. Online content can be used today and people love more convenience (downloading a Movie while making dinner instead of going to Blockbuster or waiting 24-48 hours for a Netflix). Tons of people I know are getting Verizon Fios with a 15Mbps fiber optic connection. This makes big downloads far more feasible, especially if used in concert with a queue system (ala Netflix) and bittorrent technology (to save the provider money on bandwidth). An 802.11n Video Airport Express rather than a computer set-top box could be really nice here as it could lower the costs for people to get video on their TVs from the internet (assuming they already have a computer).

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it doesn't need HD, its not spread enough to warrant the need.
    the next gen after the Wii probably will need it though.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

for me and many others it would need HD to be a buyable console.

early adopters of consoles are way more likely to own a HDTV and by the time most people buy a wii they will be far more widespread, i just cant play an SD game any more.

22. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Hector,

While it is true that for hardcore gamers who would be the most likely early adoptors of a console are more likely to have HDTVs, Nintendo is aiming to expand the market to non-gamers. The non-hardcore/non-gamer market care much more about cost than graphics and are a much larger demographic than the hardcore market. Free (not an extra $10 per month) HD channels with cable and a $200 HD-DVD, a Blue-Ray player are needed before HD will be become widespread. I realize that sub-$1000 HDTVs exist but most buyers want 36"-50" flatscreens. These are still a ways from being below $1000 (the magic number for TVs) as well. I spent over $2000 for an ED plasma a couple of years ago but I am a technophile compared to most I know. This is 2-3 years off and nobody wants to pay for something they won't even use for 2-3 years.

BTW, basic cable looks like *ss on my ED, I can't even imagine how bad it would look on an HD set. European basic TV is much nicer than what we have here in the States. (corporate greed screws us on the technology front) DVDs look fabulous though.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the thing is it's not all that hard to go HD, sure the price tag would go up a hundred bucks or so but it's well worth it, everything is going HD nintendo is makeing a huge mistake not doing so.

24. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Yeah but there is a huge mental barrier between a $200 console and a $300 console and if you don't have a $2000+ HDTV it's a waste of money.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Everything is going HD? Which is why HD sales are so low in our country, Hector?
    I've read so many articles even from BBC chiefs saying that "HD is premature" and that the golden age of the big HD taking off is many years away.

Plus HD has the "super sharp" problem. After playing Tomb Raider on a mates 360 in full 1080i, then seeing my brothers 480i playing the same game. It was a world of difference. Video cards aren't powerful enough yet to render everything in 1080p without massive amounts of AA to tidy it up. Whereas 480 can offer loads of AA, Anisotropic etc. Everything to make that image more like TV, more natural rather than the super sharp of HD.

Systems don't need HD. They need to look real in 480 before trying to compensate by moving to higher resolutions.