Wii = Cube

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.gamebrink.com/news/602-Miyamoto_The_Interview_Part_2.html

From the Shigger himself.

I can understand how some people will feel angry at that. And whilst you're angry I will go finish off Link to the Past (up to the 6th crystal thing as of today) on 16bit, iPod-is-probably-more-powerful, decade old hardware.

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yeah, its basically an overclocked gamecube, but hey, its cheap, wifi, and cool controllers, ill be getting one, even if it fails, i can still play monkeyball

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well it still will make a killing so whatever.

Bless

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I wish people would stop saying that...

It's 'cheaper'. It's not 'cheap'

£199 for a core xbox (with many online places throwing in a game for free) compared to £179 for a wii is not that cheap.

Yes the wii has wifi, but the 360 has ethernet. To upgrade either to ethernet/wifi you have to pay for an extra usb adapter. Remember also the 360 has component AV cable, the wii does not and one has to be purchased on top of the £179 (so add £20) and its the same price...

But the 360 is significantly more powerful than the wii, whereas the wii give or take is a £50 gamecube with wifi and new controllers and 512mb sdram on board.

I'm NOT saying the Wii isnt a great potential system. I'm just saying ITS NOT CHEAP :p :)

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Damn you, jimmi, I was so going to post that four hours ago but I figured I'd get flamed alive. You stud! :)

An overclocked Gamecube with a gimmic control scheme for $250.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Nah. When your posting the words of 'god' then your just spreading the word ;) :D

This part I found funny

Mmm sounds much like the Wii yet again. Who said we learn from the mistakes of the past ;)

Disclaimer : wii is great, we all bow to the Wii freaks and submit authority to your incredible quick reactions of your 'flameware' :D

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

"Wii learn from the mistakes of the past?" ;)

The Wii: Taking Nintendo from worst to first! :D

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think your new Avatar Yellow says exactly the same :)

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It similar, but not one :)

I see it as the upgrade of the Rev A iMac G5 to a Rev B iMac, where the PS3 is a iMac G5 to iMac Core Duo

11. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Nintendo really need to be congratulated because they understand one important thing: Speed is not everything, especially when acceptable 3D graphics is now a standard. Instead, they are concentrating on decent value, simple and innovative hardware and software. While it's fine for PCs to be tweaked and upgraded, a games console should be an appliance, and if anything the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony are drifting away from that.

Secondly, and far more importantly, I want to walk into a shop and shout at the top of my voice: "I NEED A WII!"

David

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmm, even though I knew the Wii wasn't going to be powerful, this kind of dissapoints me. It'll probably go away after I actually own one though.

No one is stopping you

13. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

Funny, I thought you meant that the Wii is like the G4 cube. (Anyone else think that?)

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I often wonder if Nintendo's strategy is a bit more complex at the moment. In the next 5-15 years photo realistic graphics will be standard and cheap. As of right now getting close to photo realism is expensive. If Nintendo truly concentrates on the game play and manages to score a hit with the Wii interface and improve upon it in subsequent generations then the Graphics will come, but they will have a 5-10 year head start on a "better, more immersive" gaming interface.

There is very little room for improvement once photo realism is reached and what will gaming be about then other than innovative game play to entice future generations of systems?

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

yea that's kind of my thinking now. My PC/Mac needs to be as fast as possible for pushing all the thousands of 8mp photos in my library, my whole iTunes collection, editing HD video etc. Whereas my consoles have 1 aim - to entertain me. If my NES still entertains me then where is the problem? I tell you where - with kids and people who want to out-do cinemas.

Though I suppose no matter what the specs are, even if they are (somehow) slower than the Cube. What I've seen so far in Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid Prime is nothing beyond perfect. I just hope to god that the Wii manages to out perform the 360 in terms of frame rates. I get a lovely warm feeling when something, no matter the action on screen performs without a single drop in frame rate. It warms my cockles.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

what you do in the comfort of your own room is nobodies business but your own ;) :p :D

back ot

And regardless of controller innovation i still have to say I would have prefered to play Zelda at 720p than 480i

I downloaded a 640x480 (high quality) movie of zelda twilight princess .
    It looked great in a window on my monitor, but when it was blown up to full screen on my 42" LCD - jaggies / poor anti aliasing and general murkiness failed to impress me. It was like a totally differnet game.

I'm sure the game will look fantastic on a CRT TV, but for all of us who have invested in high def tv's - those low res games are going to look pretty poor in comparison, and regardless of innovative controller, gaming is still a visual visceral experience and graphics are a huge part of that.

It wont stop me buying a Wii, but it might get relegated to an older TV....

17. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

*raises hand*

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

In defense of the Wii, blowing a movie up to HD resolution is going to look a lot worse than having a system running the graphics straight to HD. Movie files introduce tearing and blurring and artifacting. My friend plays his Gamecube on a 42" Sony Wega HDTV and it looks just fine. If Zelda looks at least that good, I'll be happy.

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

thats odd jimmi! I am playing LTTP too! and oddly enough I have just got to the 6th dungeon in Dark world.

Its a lot easier than it used to be *sigh* I think I have been playing for about 3 or 4 hours and its almost done...

but on topic, it makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't push their price lower? Cubes are what? $79.99US now? So a new controller and some upgrades pieces are worth the $180 difference? Don't get me wrong, 249.99 is still cheap, but if 360 drops by 50 bucks the Wii looks a lot less appealing to Joe Blow Consumer who is seeing GoW playing next to Red Steel. I tend to agree with a lot of the game reporters that 199.99 looks a whole lot cheaper than 249.99 and it looks like peanuts next to $399.99 or $599.99

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yup :D (see sig)

21. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

off the topic! how do I get to the desert dungeon? the fortune teller woman tells me I'll meet a strange man in the desert. I actually got bored of this game. I still am in a way, there's no charm like Links Awakening or Minish Cap (showing that charm can be done in the modern age). i wish I could get into this fully. it's taken me since the GBA remake's launch to get this far into it.

22. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

If you read further down in the interview he says,

"For a brief period of time, some of the staff said, "The Wii has better capabilities than the GC so lets improve the graphics." But Zelda fans aren’t really looking forward to a improved version of the game and are only looking for it to be fun so, I said all we have to do is make something fun for both the Wii and GC. Recently, we finally reached the conclusion that, "the Wii isn’t a console seeking for the next generation graphics." Of course, there are games that seek to have good graphics so you’ll see the titles split up that way."

So it seems that in the end, the Wii has a slight graphical edge over the cube. slightly, remember.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In the same way one of my shoes has a slightly longer lace than the other ;) ... :D

Mavimao... where is Ohi-ah ? Been wondering about that for ages since I say your tag.

24. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

It makes sense to push the price as high they can now for a couple of reasons. First you don't want to "cheapen" the console. Let it sell at a high price point to make people believe it's a nice new console. Now, because it's 249.99, they are able to afford a greater number of price cuts than if they were able to at 199.99. For instance, if the x-box value pack drops 50 dollars, the wii will drop 50 dollars to 199.99 with perhaps a better bundle (Mario Kart Wii and 2 wii-motes for example). Who knows if the Xbox can afford to drop to 200 anytime soon, but I'm sure Nintendo could simulate sales by dropping it to 149.99 as soon as they release some killer app (Zelda Wii or Super Mario 128). And when the console reaches the last stages of it's life Nintendo can sell it at 99.99. Twenty dollars more than Cubes right now: more profit for them.

Whilst to us Tech geeks we wonder why we pay extra money for a simple upgrade...remember that just a processor upgrade for a G4 Mac costs as much as the Wii.

25. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

haha...oh your Irish wit is no match for my OHIO sensibility.

('Ohi-ah' is basically a partially-phonetic spelling of how people in hick parts of Ohio pronounce the name of the state they live in. oh-hi-ya. Kinda like if you were to put 'arr-land ... maybe. Did I get that right?)