Wii Duck Hunt!!! And More...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sean7512, May 10, 2006.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Yes, a NEW version of Duckhunt WILL be playable at Nintendo's booth for the Wiii!! That is very exciting, I cannot wait to see what it is like!

Also, Super Mario Galaxy will ALSO be playable at Nintendo's booth (might be behind closed doors).

...And a Wii specific version of Resident Evil (I think this was known though).

IGN has reported all of this news, incase you wanted to know!

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

They also announced that they'll have a "light" gun for the
    Wii.

If you ask me, they should use the same mold as the
    original and make it all wii-white with a blue led, for old
    times' sake. ^_^

A shotgun shape would also be acceptable for Duck Hunt,
    especially if we can use the "Terminator" technique for
    reloading. :D

Chances are that we'll see pictures of it very soon since
    Duck Hunt is playable at E3.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have the original Duck Hunt light gun somewhere in the closet. Perhaps I should start a class action suit if it's incompatible with the Wii version. :D

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Found a screenshot of the Gun attachment:

_

Attached Files:

5. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Question, why do they need a light gun? Why can't the Wii controller work for it?

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I love it. I wonder if they will try it push the gun as a "standard" accessory for other games to use, or just as a fun little thing for Duck Hunt... those arcade games where you are in one location and use a light gun to shoot at stuff, till you clear and move the the next stage are good fun, imo. With the analog stick on there for ducking/dodging you could have some cool stuff.

Just for the pure fun of it? I'm sure the Wiimote would WORK fine by itself for the game, but holding a pistol and shooting it is a fun thing in and of itself.

EDIT2: IS that an analog stick or a big plunger-type button on the top-rear?

7. backupdrummer macrumors regular

backupdrummer

8. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

If you look closely. It's simply the Wii controller inserted into an attachment that replace (remap) the nunchuck's buttons. I guess we don't absolutely need it and they game will probably work just fine with the regular controller… but isn't it more fun this way ;)

On another pic, we see that the Wii controller is also available in black or Blue.

9. shortyjj macrumors regular

Ok, it's already 3pm ET.... where the #%^! are the impressions from attendees who have played with the wii? I can't take it anymore.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, I just mean will they try to get other publishers to design games with that in mind... since it looks like you get an analog stick and one button, unless there is a B on the top or the other side or something. I edited by above comments to reflect my meaning. :)

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Agreed.

It would be nice if they bundled one with the Wii.

Edit: Here is a good shot of the sensor bar. It can be placed on top of the TV or near the base. Cord looks long enough.

Attached Files:

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You know what game I want on the Wii really, really bad? Virtua Firefighter. I played that in a Dave and Busters about 4 or 5 years ago and it was a BLAST. With the Wiimote for the hose, the trigger to turn the water on and off, and the A button to perform the required "action" (open a door, kick over a door, pick up unconscious victim, whatever) it'd be an absolute riot single or multiplayer (the arcade game was 2 player). The Wiimote speaker making a water spray noise and vibrating depending how much water you were spraying, and then the TV speakers making the splash noises as water hits stuff it would be particularly cool.

Hey, anyone tell me if the Wiimote trigger is an analog button? I would certainly hope so, but... well, you never know.

I guess it was actually called Brave Firefighter... http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7212

13. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Worth noting:

Not shown in this picture but there is a "Work in progress" sign under the gun attachement so it might not be the definitive design.

14. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

if duck hunt is on the virtual console part, odds are it'll be free.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It better be, it's the most simple game ever and totaly not worth $50 of anyones money, UNLESS they bundle it with the gun attachment...

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I assume he is refering to a new Duck Hunt game. I'm assuming the original duck hunt on the VC will be free if you buy the new one, otherwise it'll be a buck or two.

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Yeah, I didn't think that grip looked particularly comfortable.

That's not the nunchuk attachment snapped into the handle, is it?

18. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

are u ok? you wrote this at 12 o'clock Pacific time. E3 is in Los Angeles. it is not 3 o'clock yet in Los Angeles. it was 12 o'clock when u wrote that. it's 1:23 there now. let them do whatever it is they're doing down there.

19. Motley macrumors 6502

Begin the "video games are teaching our kids how to kill" screaming. Anti-video game crazies (calling Jack Thompson) will have a feild day with this, I fear.

I also wonder if this will spawn a bunch of those "Deer Hunter" type games for hunting enthusiasts (not to be confused with the post-traumatic Vietnam kind of Deer Hunter)

20. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I dont understand why Nintendo keeps recycling their titles....i mean....Duckhunt?? Mario...Zelda....Metroid.....I don't know...they're fun and all, but I'm just surprised they keep rehashing these concepts....i mean it's been like 20 years....can't they get past those titles...? Or I guess they don't want to.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You're kidding right? That's why most people like Nintendo since their franchise games are sweet. With your logic, I guess we should not give in to the countless Madden games as well as the versions of GTA, Grand Turismo, Halo, etc. They make them since they sell. I love the mario games so they better keep making them

22. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I guess it's because we keep asking for more. Also they did come up with a few big new franchises at each generation. This time around they have H.A.M.M.E.R. and Disaster to name only two. What do you think is worst, a Duck Hunt every 20 years or a GTA every year ;)

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can't believe there's a whole thread on Duck Hunt.. in 2006. <mindboggled>
    Cheers for whatcha like I guess.

24. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Funny isn't it ^_^

Personally, I'm more interested in the background technology and associated hardware than the game. I probably won't be purchasing a new duck hunt (or even download a free version) but I'd like to see how other developpers will approach shooters on the Wii.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you'd watched the keynote or read any of the reviews you'll notice that Nintendo have also added new franchises for the Wii. So they're not just 'recycling'. Looking forward to your posts in the PS3 and XBOX threads about Halo, Gran Tourismo, Grant Theft Auto, Metal Gear solid etc etc ;). But I suspect you just came in to do a bit of Nintendo bashing.

If you're in a business why not use the brand power you've built up? Nike has been using 'Air' for years. Apple has been using Macintosh. It's all about making a good franchise and making it solid, familiar, and recognisable. If you hear a new Mario is coming out people know that enjoyed a previous incarnation and would be excited about this new one. People would also know that Nintendo will tweak it to take the gameplay in new directions. You'd be stupid to drop a successuful franchise, just as you'd be stagnant if you didn't add in new ones.

The familiar franchise games for the most part make up the core backbone attraction of the system. The new and 3rd first and party titles are then introduced in addition to these. It's the same with all consoles and PC games that ever lived. It's not realy so hard to understand if you give it some thought.