Wii Experiences

Discussion in 'Games' started by aidanpendragon, Nov 19, 2006.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    OK, a thread neither about preordering or ordering, but actuallly having the thing...here are some of my thoughts -

- Wiimote pointer on Channels/Menu screens generally holds up well, but gets a bit janky if you're not in straight-line with the sensor. Cursor can drift off the screen and be a bit hard to re-center/acquire, but this seems to get easier.
    - Text input surprisingly fast/easy with the on-screen keyboard - more than twice as fast as any pad/joystick input via a similar menu. Still wouldn't want to write stuff like this on it. Wondering if I hook up my USB Apple keyboard & could get any results.
    - Internet channel/Opera browser unavailable/"coming soon" - boo.
    - VC/Store has NO TG-16 GAMES AT LAUNCH!!! Despite Nintendo repeatedly saying at least Bonk and/or Bomberman would be up. Guess I'll try again on 11/20 ("updates every Monday"). VC selection generally a bit anemic. Did get Mario 64, a game I'd missed out on.
    - Memory still handled in goofy "blocks" format. 512 MB internal memory = 2072 or so blocks.
    - Doing Miis ate up a lot of time. My wife was really into it (we each have fair likenesses now).
    - Wii Sports is great. Played a bit of tennis & one game (only 3 innings) of baseball. My right bicep hurts, and I was on the verge of breaking a sweat (playing vigorously/full-arm). This is definitely great fun, and a perfect pack-in game. Not something to do for more than an hour, though.
    - Playtime log it gives you on the main screen is boss. 40 min. on Miis, then 47 on Wii Sports. Can view a calendar with every day's log on it. Kids are doomed.
    - A fair amount of screen, sound, internet options to play around with - even pick your country out of literally every one in the Western hemisphere (and I'm talking Caribbean islands, too).

Thank God I got a system a day prior to launch (thank you Amazon & 11/18 delivery). Not sure, but the few phone calls I made for accessories make it sound like anything Wii, in general, is quite scare on launch day. And that's a bit of a bitch: I want at least a second Wiimote so wife & I can play tennis together (i.e., the whole point of Nintendo's strategy). But good luck getting that, an extra nunchuck, an extra Classic controller, etc. - most folks I called are wholly out. Guess good for Nintendo, if they move all that inventory, but bad for us.
  2. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    Try Target, they had about a million nunchucks and remotes when I went to get my Wii. Don't know about Classic controllers though.

I basically agree with everything you said, the Sports mode/games are really fun to play with other people. Haven't tried the whole wireless thing yet!
  3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    I kno that kmart also had tonssss of nuncuks and wiimote's. Good review man, hope your enjoying it. :)
  4. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2005
    I'm impressed. Graphics aren't fantastic, but I have decided I am buying a PS3...so that can easily fill that void.

I am not playing Zelda until I finish my classwork.
  5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    How can you hold on? :D I know I bought my 360 last week and I'm busting to play my games all day but I promised myself not until after exams. 3 weeks away? Why did I torture myself :cool:
  6. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
    Wii = AWESOME.

My grandpa who's about 80 is seriouslyl considering getting one. I am not kidding!
  7. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    My 70-odd year old gran wants a Wii to serve as a basic portable internet system. My MUM wants a Wii, a typical non-gamer. It's madness. Though it's actually a bad thing for me, I was hoping that the Wii would end up most of the time in my room but the more people like it... the less time I have :eek:

THE LOG sounds incredible. I love reading my stats. I spend hours a month (which is longer than it sounds) just mulling over the details in Smash Bros Melee, just observing how me and my friends fare against each other. A universal version of that? ****ing excellent.
  8. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Wii Sports is SO much fun..!

I have to say 10 hours in the freezing cold was well worth my Wii!
  9. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I got my Wii with Zelda and Red Steel this morning, actually it's for my 2 boys for christmas. I'll be giving it a test run tonight after they go to sleep. Hey I have to make sure it works right. ;)
  10. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

May 10, 2005
    Mesa, AZ
    Wii is Super Great?

I got my Wii today... it was a Christmas present but really no reason to wait, i'm mature and don't care if I don't have something christmas day. My parents actually went in line at a new best buy near us. They got about a hundred in. Go an extra wiimote and nunchuck and a classic controller.

It is really fun to play... wii sports is fun, but like others said, it wont occupy you for hours. The other game I picked up was Madden 07. the graphics are on par with (original) xbox, which isn't bad, it is it easy to learn to play (a lot easier than the ds version).

I wanted to get Zelda instead, but they sold out somehow. I'll wait till i get a better discount at game stop for the holidays.

It really is a great gaming experience... you feel like you are participating in something... thats the best way i can describe the experience.
  11. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Sep 8, 2003
    I would have something to chime in with, except... I tried to setup the internet connection first. I have been stuck updating for about 30-40 minutes now. :(

Edit: The first update just finished, and it started a second one. :/
  12. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    Two other thoughts:

- Good on Nintendo for the way you buy Wii Points: $10/20/30/50 denominations (1/2/3/5k points). That $10 option gives a lot more flexibility.

- There's no "system startup disc" included; instead, my box has a sticker covering the original printed contents, which lists Wii Sports instead of the startup disc.

EDIT - Internet update did take me a while - first one, then the other. However, ran it about 1:30 AM EST, so probably less load on the servers; it should level off in the next few days.
  13. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

Sep 11, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    being mature allows you to NOT have something on Christmas day?...weird I that maturity taught patience. ;)
  14. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    I really love the system....what I don't love is the Mario Bros for NES VC download isn't the Super Mario I thought it was...it's the battle version -- I learned this the hard way
  15. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    Don't burst the poor guys bubble :(
  16. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    i think the wiimote and such input rocks. much cooler than sitting infront of a screen twiteling your thumbs!!! unfortunatly i think the graphics stink. granted i was only playing wii sports. im not much of a gammer, but i got the system for my younger brother. but since its his christmas present im playing it at my apt until then O:) though i think i might eventually get my one (i will see how much i play b/w now and then!) i was a little disappointed that most of the internet stuff isnt working. and disapointed that there was such a small selection of virtual console games. i really wanted super mario 3 (from back in the day when i was a gammer!) but overall i was impressed.

any recomendations for good games?
  17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Excite truck is just fun(although can get boring fast)....I'm going to pick up maden in 15 minutes. I've had a blast playing the wii.

Now that all the consoles are out and I've played all I can say all of them are monsters when it comes to enjoying yourself.

18. Oofie macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Sorry for the noob question, but what is Mii? Im eriously thinking of getting one just for the wii sports. Just sold my xbox 360 so I have a couple bucks to spend.
  19. smitty330 macrumors member

Jul 20, 2006
    A Mii is a character that you create to play the games for you esencially, it identifies you. So, when you go into Wii sports you play as your Mii character, although thus far Wii sports is the only game like that as far as saving games if you have more than one person working on a game you use a small picture of your Mii to Identify which saved game is yours. Other than that It is just fun!!!

P.S. I absolutly love my Wii, Wii sports is ALOT of fun especially when you are playing against a friend or something of that nature. Also if you currently own a Wii buy zelda it is worth it!
  20. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2006
    Just got back from my local GameStop. I saw the blue lights as I was walking by in the mall and got super excited. The game I played was Excite Truck... I wish there would've been Zelda, but it was great anyway. I didn't have my glasses with me, so I had to stand close to the screen. Being close to the sensor bar makes it pretty difficult to use the pointer. Even though I couldn't see that good, I noticed that it was fine when I backed off. I also created a Mii. About 50 people did so before me, so I had fun using the whistle to order them.. Pretty amusing. The wiimote definitely took some time to get used to though; on Excite Truck I was steering way to far to the left/right. I'll probably be back there soon though.. I'm getting a Wii for x-mas so I have to wait until then. :(

Forgot to say, the graphics aren't half bad! I don't see what everyone was complaining about. I'm not sure if the Wii was hooked up with composite or component cables though; I forgot to check.

And it was great seeing the enthusiasm of everyone looking at the Wii. The PS3 in the store was actually vacant for quite some time. :D
  21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    I find the Wiimote is really touchy for inputting stuff :( For games it works great though. My parents are still playing bowling and tennis...*sigh*....And they wanna buy me more Wiimotes so we can all have our own *double sigh* Now they are gonna take over my big tv and I will be stuck watching them play!
  22. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Opera not being out is a killer..and Nintendo not getting some online play is not good, but since its free I'll let it go

I have to say even with the limited Virtual Console games, I love being able to buy games online! I download Sonic and Donkey Kong, and plan to get Mario 64 and a few more games!

Also I LOVE the power button on the remote! So nice!
  23. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    A couple of questions from me now
    The wiimote and the nunchuck are sold seperately - why is this? I'm slightly confused as to the logic here as I thought they were both part of the same device.

And how dos it look on a HDTV set? I know it isn't a HD console, but my PS2 looks ***** on my 26" set, I'm concerned the wii would too...
  24. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    What cables are you using on your HDTV? With component cables it will run in 480/576p and look dandy indeed.
  25. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    Yeah, I could do that - just switch my 360 over to the VGA cable I guess.