[Wii] Far Cry - Why the hate?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I notice a lot of hate for the Far Cry game on Wii but don't understand exactly why.

Far Cry PC was good, Far Cry for 360 was also good.

The videos of the Wii version I have seen look really good, specifically the handling of the controls really has me interested... I've had enough FC really, but the way the controls have been demonstrated in the videos looks really nice.

So what's the deal, have all the people talking bad about it actually played it, or are these just impressions from some TV commercial or demo I might not have seen?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

IMO-
    Farcry PC - very good. Farcry anything else - no ta. I haven't played the Wii version yet so I can't comment but I doubt it'll have the same freedom and control of the PC version. Might surprise me though?

3. Oblivious macrumors 6502

The hate stems from developer laziness. Ubisoft thinks than can get away with abysmal graphics just because they are using the Wiimote in a unique way, which is complete crap. This sort of attitude among developers should not be tolerated.:mad:

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

From press reviews and the majority of reader reviews I've read it's because

The final version resembles a N64 title, not a Wii/Cube

Part of FarCry's appeal was it's visceral quality, engaging AI and physics. strip that out, slap in poor controls, make AI so dumb that you almost feel sorry for the poor little polygons.And a framerate that likes to hover fairly low to the ground.

5. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I didn't think the graphics looked bad in the videos I've seen...

But aren't these Wii fans the ones yelling "graphics aren't important, it's all about the gameplay?" Seems that comment is quite off base.

Anyone else have a reason with more... reasonable... content?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In Ubisofts defence though, the game wasn't that long in development (or so I heard) and without proper optimisation they had to shrink the graphics down so they could have the long draw distances the game requires.

7. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Nobody's yelling that, otherwise we'd be fine with Wiimotes hooked up to Pong. I don't need to count every pore on the sweaty alien I just shot, but I won't pass up RE4 either. There's no excuse for N64-level graphics today.

EDIT: Also should add that the rabid Wii fanboys at IGN gave this one a 4.5...you know there must be a problem.

8. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Those are the same Wii fans that will buy every Mario rehash without a second thought.

I've rented the game, and I can honestly say it looks horrible. The controls are pretty good, but the game looks like crap... unbearable crap, and it seems nearly every reviewer out there will vouch for that.
    Anyway, I'd hardly consider my comment off base. I should hope that I'm not a black sheep by thinking both gameplay and graphics are essential to a good game.

And I don't know about you, but I think Ubisoft's limited time is a bit of a lame excuse. Ubisoft brought it upon themselves to whip up the game for the launch window. Nobody was stopping them from delaying the game to make some much needed improvements, and after seeing the final product I doubt there would have been much protest to a delay.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If it was a toss up between Mario (average, non-noticable graphics + awesome gameplay) or Oblivion (repeated gameplay + good graphics) I know what I'd go for :D

10. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Well, I was mainly referring to the period where Nintendo came out with a new Mario Party every four months or so, but otherwise I'd definitely snag the Mario game first.:p

And I'm not criticizing Far Cry for not having some mind-boggling graphics with crazy special effects; I honestly don't expect that nor do I care that it come from any Wii game. But when a developer comes out with a new installment to a franchise with a reputation for better than average graphics, and the game is hardly discernible from an eight year old N64 game, you know that massive corners were cut and the game was only intended to make a quick buck.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye, this and the news of the next PoP Wii game (tee hee, "next") is a rehash with multiplayer and Wii controls. If they seriously expect me to pay full asking price then they have another thing coming.

Ubisoft can be so good and so bad at the same time. Like a big egg.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

When has that?

Mario Party 1-Feb 1999 for USA
    Mario Party 2- Jan 2000 for USA
    Mario Party 3-May 2001 for USA
    Mario Party 4- Oct 2002 for USA
    Mario Party 5 Nov 2003 for USA
    Mario Party 6- Dec 04 for USA
    Mario Party 7- Nov 2005 for USA

Source Wikipedia

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ruddy nora I had no idea it was every year. I'm still playing Mario Party 5 and absolutely loving it. Might start making my way through the ranks now. They really are pinnacle party games.

14. Malus macrumors 6502

I do remember IGN commenting on how the graphics looked like that of a N64 game.

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

My friend said the controls are great, the best thus far for a FPS on the Wii, so I'm going to try it out later this week.

<]=)

16. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Foiled again...

Damnit, I was exaggerating simply to make a point.:p

17. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The problem I had with your reply was simple, it only noted graphics in the complaint.

It didn't say "it had good gameplay, but graphics were horrible" it didn't even say "presentation, graphics, sound, and gameplay were all horrible - its possible the next Superman 64" ... you just complained about the graphics. I hope I'm not expected to "fill in the blanks" to make the argument as reasonable as you intended! ;)

Consider these screenshots:

TimeSplitters 2 (GameCube)

Far Cry Vengence (Wii)

Somehow "N64 graphics" seems to be a serious exaggeration... perhaps just to make an invalid point?

18. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

well it could just be the wii, I think the 360 is going to win out in the end, despite my loathing for microsoft

19. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

From those screenshots I would definetly disagree with everyone saying FarCry for the Wii has N64 graphics, it is certainly on par with the Gamecube, but this still won't be considered good enough for many gamers.

20. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

One thing that gives it an edge over the GCN is it definitely seems to be "crisper" in terms of having much better clarity. I have TimeSplitters2 and it is an excellent game, but that is what it looks like. The Wii game also seems to have more detail and a lot more objects in the scenes.

Also compare it to the "N64 graphics" link I just added...

21. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Yeah I agree with you completely. the N64 graphics claims are a tad ludicrous.

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The controls on Far Cry are a lot cleaner than on Red Steel, the graphics while not mind blowing arent as bad as people are claiming. The thing i hate is when someone tries a game for 10 minutes and claims "it sucks", take the time to play a game, and if you cant get past being a graphics whore get a 360 or PS3.

The 2 biggest issues i had with the game were the obviously quickly put together muddy cut scenes, and the fact that if i was on my couch i would get a message non-stop that "controller one is too far from the screen", my couch is no more than 6 feet from my TV... It got uncomfortable sitting on the edge of the couch while extending my arm to the TV, and no other game i have (I own 8 Wii games) has ever given me such a message before.

Comparing the images to N64 is ridiculous, do these people even remember say perfect dark in all its square polygonal glory? The graphics are fine, not mind blowing but playable.

The game was obviously put together in a hurry and it showed in the 2 gripes i had above, other than that it has solid gameplay value and really nice wiimote integration in to the game.

Ed

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

The fog and water details do resemble that of an N64 game. So do the often muddy textures. The graphics, though, are more on Cube level. Not great but acceptible. However, overall, I would say that the graphics are still a "far cry" from the previous versions of the game. :) The AI is also a bit wonky.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oblivion has far more depth than you are giving credit for, to the point it's obvious you havent spent much if any time on it, otherwise you'd know how silly your statement was.

25. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Indeed... having played over 100 hours of Oblivion I burst out laughing when I read the original post.