Wii Generation 1

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ja Di ksw, May 6, 2006.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

So many people on these forums talk about how they avoid Apple products that are first gen. Take the MBP for example. Lots of people are saying that they will skip the first gen because it is bound to have problems (noise, heat, etc). Others say that there are problems at all generations, so you might as well get one. Look at the first generation of XBox 360's. Heat, breaking down, etc etc.

In any case, what about the Wii? We're not talking about just a big upgrade here, we're talking about something entirely new. Do people think that Wii's are going to have lots of problems at first? Are people going to wait until it has been out for awhile, until the next batch comes out to get one?

I want a Wii on launch day. I really, really do. But with how many problems there are on first gen anything, and the radically new controller, part of me is thinking I should wait.

Though I probably won't listen to that part.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My GC never gave me one problem(knock on wood) so i'm hoping i'm one of the lucky and get a great machine at launch. I think Nintendo will have the same problems all system have at launch.....

Bless

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Nintendo seems to have a really good track record on hardware releases. I don't recall any of there systems having problems on the level that you hear about for many systems (even N64 compared to PSX).

I do think it will improve over time, and Wii 2 could really be a great evolution of an interesting product should the first succeed. But as far as technical difficulties, Nintendo has a great track record and I really don't worry as far as hardware is concerned.

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

The only product that I have made by Nintendo that does not work perfectly is my original NES. My gamecube, DS etc all work perfectly. I think there may be slight revisions a la DS lite but nothing that will change the overall layout of the system. I am definitely going to get Wii on the launch date. This is the one I have been waiting for.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo has an EXTREMELY good track record- that I am aware of they have never had a mass-problem launch, except possibly dead pixels on the DS that they replaced for free even if you had one.

The first gen = problems thing doesn't apply with Nintendo's products in general.

My first gen GameCube's laser is starting to die after four years (the guys at GameStop are rather shocked as virtually no one they've met has malfunctioning GameCubes)- my N64, SNES, NES, and even my original GameBoy (the face of which fell off) still work. Well, I haven't put new batteries in the GameBoy in a few years but I THINK it works. The GB Color definitely does.

My NES still works, my Grandma's is erratic sometimes unless I blow on the cartridges.

6. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I don't care I buy first gen stuff if it's something I want. Just make sure to keep a receipt in case of anything, but other than Colecovision and Atari 2600 none of my systems (and i've owned just about every one) has ever given me problems. Even on the computer end. Maybe i'm just lucky or something.

7. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thanks to all for the encouragement :). As I said, I'm still wanting one at launch. The thread was started after a late night drunken conversation with a friend about launch problems. Now that others have mentioned it, my NES does still work fine. (same with my original gameboy, SNES, etc).

While the new technology is a lot different (my friend brought up a wireless joystick he uses in the air that doesn't work worth a d***), I'm hoping Nintendo gets it right.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo have been working on the Wii since just after the Cubes launch, so lets say 5 years. MBP didn't take that long, computers don't take that long at all. They've had this idea of a console for years so my guess is it will be clear of bugs.

Plus Nintendo are very good with Rev A machines. I bought my Cube ages back, it's a Europe version with a digital out. One of the first stock. No problems at all. Ditto for my DS (US stock though), GBA, N64. My brother got his GameBoy Pocket on day #1, the day before he went on holiday and I'm still using that.
    They're very good at quality control. they even take DS's back if there is so much as 1 dead pixel, so what does manage to get out they will replace ASAP.

9. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

My SNES, N64 and GC which were all bought on the day they were released are all functioning fine. The only thing that annoys me (especially with the N64) is how the controllers analog becomes loose and starts wiggling in its socket, but that's nothing to do with the console itself anyway.

10. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

generally game consoles are extremely reliable, especially from nintendo. the 360 may be an exception, but that can mostly be contributed to them rushing it to market, and perhaps a little ps3 fanboyism here and there.

a game console isn't like a computer which has a life span before upgrades of 6 months here give or take; a game console still has to sell as new with the same hardware years later, and people wouldn't easily tolerate the concept that a 2008 version of system x will play a game better then their 2006 version of the same thing.

system x... yet another example of names i like better then wii... :p

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Only thing wrong with my NES is the cartridge things....i have to place a folded paper in there for the console to read the cartridge but it works fine. SNES is still going strong except the neck of the controller is all messed up.

My Sega Geni is still in top shape.

Bless

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Interestingly though my Commodore Amiga (1991), Mega Drive (1997) and Spectrum (1989) all function fine too. I think it was only the PS2 and 360 that suffered launch problems. PS2 had the laser problem and the 360 was rushed.

13. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I try to get Nintendo products as soon as they come out, because the first few batches are usually made in Japan instead of China. That may not be true of the last few Nintendo products, but my Nintendo Play-Yan micro is "made in Japan".

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i didn't have any problems with first generation stuff from them either ...

i guess we will all see it at the end of the year

15. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

I can beat your Amiga mine is an '87 model and still going strong, shame about the floppy discs though :( , but seriously my GC works like it first did (extremely well) as for my Dreamcast it's labouring now and I haven't used it as much as the GC and as for the N64 with no moving parts, well that could possibly last my lifetime. I'm seriously thinking of getting a Wii (I like the name Revolution better though btw)

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Game systems without moving parts are certainly more reliable than those without, but they will eventually fail as the connectors to the cartridge wear a tiny bit each time you put a game it. Old NES's exhibit this now-a-days, buy as they are 20+ years old no one complains about it much.

17. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Like I said it will probably last me a lifetime, the last time I played GoldenEye was about 2 years ago, actually after discussing this I think I will have a game on my trusty N64 later today.

18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Which reminds me about how pissed I am over no GoldenEye on the Wii virtual console. :( I SO wanted to play that over the internet with my college buddies, especially if they let you set up the new controller with it somehow.

God, we played that game more than we went to class, easily. 007 probably took a full gradepoint off my average one semester, and a half a point the next.

19. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Haha I know what you mean but maybe it's a God send, that game is singularly responsible for taking up most of my free time in the late 90's, it is the only game I completed without cheating, all games took second best even to Turok another game that took up a lot of time.. I really am going to dust down my N64 later on and play the aforementioned games.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here! Goldeneye... I was the only guy in Springhead who managed to unlock those cheats (other than DK and Paintball). I swear to god the amount of time I spent on that is insane. I remember going for the Dam/base invincibility cheat which took about 2 weeks to get. And those secret levels and 007 mode! Just one of the best games ever and certainly Rare's hottest moment. Oh and I used to destroy my mates in multiplayer :D Proximity mines were oh-soooo fun!

21. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

agreed nintendo in my opinion makes great products...I have never seen one broken knock on wood as well.

22. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

my NES, SNES, N64 and 'Cube all work fine. i want a wii wii.

23. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Im glad so many people want the wii. All my old consoles still work, the nes works, as well as my megadrive (power cord however went a while back). I think nintendo do things the right way.

Where did u guys see that goldeneye wont run on the wii? The reason im going to get the Wii is because SA is so PS nuts no other console even gets released here.

24. joelypolly macrumors 6502

Yeah i find it usually is that way. Like PSP was made in japan then china so usually the first ones are of better quality but sometimes not of better components e.g. LCD on the PSP improved over time.

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii has been complete for the better part of a year and Nintendo have just been using this time to test the living bejesus out of it and drip feed "new" information to the media.

I have one of the original Game Boys - brick of a thing, grey plastic, got it for my 9th brithday back in 1991. Wouldn't you know it, the damned thing still works. As does my clear plastic Game Boy Pocket. I don't use either of them but this thread inspired me to turn them on and see.

I don't game anymore - haven't for ten years or so now but I've always seen Nintendo as the pick of the heap when it comes to build quality and reliability.