Wii Hardware surprises to come...

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, May 12, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ok, this didn't get much notice in the massive thread I mentioned it on, and I was hoping for some comments, so as much as I hate it, I have to start another Wii thread.

Ok, there is a video interview with Perrin Kaplan, VP in charge of Marketing for Nintendo, over on IGN's Wii site where she is asked "are there more hardware secrets in store for the Wii" and she replies, "yes, yes, yes. Next Question."

The next bit of info is this, http://revolution.ign.com/articles/708/708155p1.html, interview with a Konami developer. He mentions that the Wii has "built in physics simulation".

There were rumors many many months ago talking about the Revolution (at the time) having a hardware PPU. I think that's the last bit of news. I think it will push the capabilities of the system to "the next level". Not only will there be the impressive physics simulations allowing the Wii to do the things that the multi CPU core 360 and PS3 can do, but also free up CPU cycles and memory for improved AI and, yes, graphics.

I think that's the last piece of the puzzle. It will give the system the little edge it needs to pull of some cool effects and games, as well a little more headroom to make us say "wow" at the graphics, as promised.

What do ou guys think?

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think if that quote is true then it is very likely it does have some sory of PPU.

That would definitely be nice and I'm sure developers would appreciate it.

3. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. Brawl has allready WOW'ed me. : ]

Anyway, the GPU is still under tight wraps, either it's not finished yet or they are keeping it a secret for other reasons. Even the CPU is know finalised and known.
    Also, the FINAL dev kits will be available in June. Hard to beleive but most games (bar Nintendo perhaps) are running on basicaly Gamecubes with more RAM.

Edit, ok not hard to believe for some games, but hey Red Steel and Metroid Prime look cool, right? :p

peace

4. Ayre macrumors member

I dunno, don't you think the physics calculations are already being done? I mean, it takes a lot of technology to translate remote movements to actual game control. Maybe that's what they're talking about when they mean seperate physics calculations.

5. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i think a PPU would be awsome... a lot of games' graphics 'wowed' me but some games looked silly-- like they had a lot of 2D pictures plastered onto stuff to make them look 3D. hopefully it'll be cool whatever it is...

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think it has. Reason? Theres a video from Metroid Prime 3 where the player has to open a door by shooting these 4 bits off it. when they are destroyed a rope connecting to the door drops. It's such a tiny, miniscule reason but it just seems right. The physics look very powerful, very real. It's more than just software... possibly.

It's a good idea too. Nintendo said photo-realistic graphics are already upon us. That much is true, the next steps to realism are going to be small steps, we're just pulling ourselves up to that plateau now. But there are so many advancements that still need doing away from the graphics. Such as immersion and physics.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The developers I interviewed told me that as far as they were aware they already had the final kits. At least two seperate developers told me this.

8. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

anouncement of a PPU would probably go along with the anouncement of the system specs. (which may or may not happen.) another hardware secret will probably be much bigger.

9. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's good to hear. The more time they have with the kits the better. It doesn't mean there aren't hardware features in the final product that are just being emulated on the dev kits.

10. rob finch macrumors member

So there's still hope for Red Steel to iron out it's reported problems then. It also might explain why the Ubisoft guy demonstrating at E3 had problems controlling the game. If Ubi haven't had the final dev kits yet, it can't have been easy to reproduce the control that we saw in Zelda and tennis.

11. mac000 macrumors 6502a

i really hope Wii has a PPU, it would really make up for no HD and it would be better than HD and no PPU.

has anyone done any investigating to find out how true this might be? Besides the quote " as the Wii system has built in physics simulation" from http://wiinintendo.net/?cat=7

what else could he be refering to? and why wouldn't Nintendo include the "Wii's with the PPU in them" at E3?

any thoughts? :confused: :confused:

12. mac000 macrumors 6502a

ok here's a theory :

1. obviously nintendo looked a lot more complete than Sony at E3 and they are both "assumed" to be out with their next gen systems around the same time. Maybe Nintendo is pushing back their system even though it is very well good to go so they can put in a PPU when the prices of them go down later in the year?

2. question though: do games have to be "built" for a PPU? say they just slapped one in there now, would game automatically pick up on this and be more realistic or not?

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The PPU acts as a shortcut. Where a graphics card you'd say "make it glow" or whatever, you'd say "this object has this weight" and "this object has another" so when it collides it will do it's own thing. Of course it can be disabled. You wouldn't want physics in Tetris... would you?! :)

Physics are the way forward. HL2 taught me that way back when.

14. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It could be refering to a software physics API. Nintendo could have just bundled a physics software package, like Havock, into the SDK to make it easy on developers.

Now, them doing that wouldn't preclude a hardware PPU, however. It could be compiling for execution on the CPU on the dev kits/early Wii builds, but be later targeted for a PPU once that hardware is finalized.

15. mac000 macrumors 6502a

oh i understand, what i was asking was - Since Nintendo obviously did not have a PPU in their Wii's at E3 and the games are already in the process of completetion, if they put a PPU into the Wii as a final step will the games automatically work with a PPU engine? Or must they be written for a PPU? I am assuming no, correcT?

16. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Whats the difference between a sofware physics API and a PPU?

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Physics API is software driven. It seeps off the main CPU. a PPU is the hardware version of a physics API.
    Think trying to run a game in software rendering rather than using a dedicated graphics card. It's a world of difference, depending on the power of the original CPU and the PPU. Ie. the PS3's cell chip could use 1 CPU as a PPU and maybe get away with it.

18. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

the one thing i'm having trouble grasping about this ppu, is if it is so cheap (to be put in a $200ish console), yet has such great gains... why wouldn't microsoft and sony have included one too?

I'd like to believe nintendo has something up their sleeves that will make the wii's graphics, though non-HD, rival the 360 and ps3; after all, i always took pride in that metroid prime looked better than anything that could be produced on a ps2; but i just don't see it realistically having that great an effect. :cool:

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I mentioned a while back about HD upscaling. The 3D chip produces a 480p image, and a separate 2D chip upscales that to 720p using a rendering technique that does not affect the 3D one at all. Median or some kind of smart blur. You've all seen those Super Sai and other scaling effects. It's a possibility and would be quite cheap to implement and requires NO coding from the developers at all.

Forgot to say; developers would have to code for the physics chip. but it would be very simple indeed and require no real extra coding on their end.

20. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The PS3 and 360 are multi-core CPU systems. They don't really need another chip for physics work; they can offload it to another CPU and be fine. The Wii has a single core CPU, so could utilize the extra help from a PPU well.

There was talks from both ATI and NVidia that their GPUs could be repurposed to a PPU with the right software. If the Wii does have one, I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on an older ATI GPU design.

21. mac000 macrumors 6502a

whens the next pausable time Nintendo will talk about the Wii, or will they come out of no where?

22. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

TGS - Tokyo Games Show, or something like that. Want to say it's September. I am guessing that we will hear some other "out of the blue" info in July as well, and then everything else at TGS. Then in stores eary November.

Not that I know anything, just speculating.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The force is strong in this one. I predict the same.

24. Symtex macrumors 6502a

My prediction : NO PPU in Wii. Nintendo is trying to cut down on features to have a low price.

25. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Apparently the Havok physics engine will be built into the Wii console. Announced on the official Havok website.
    http://www.havok.com/