Wii Have A Problem XD

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, Dec 8, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

How freaking hard did that person have to fling the Wiimote to have it stick into the side of a TV... That just doesn't seem possible to me. :)

<]=)

3. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I tossed mine at a fireplace. During a 2-3 minute volley for a 5-game set in Wii tennis my hand got sweaty and slipped from my hand. It smacked the nearby brick fireplace when the crappy strap snapped like it wasn't even there. I was swinging moderately, but nothing crazy like in the videos I've seen online.

Nintendo replaced it for free even though it still mostly worked. They said the strap should have retained the remote and didn't. They sounded relieved when I told them it didn't break anything. They must be getting a lot of these calls.

4. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Well its good they have good service then because thats the last thing I'd expect from a company is to replace a controller because it fell out of your hand... crazy (not saying its your fualt or anything I understand the rope broke, I'm just saying crazy)

5. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Yea, I was pleasantly surprised as well. I called to offer to send them the strap so they could study it as I had begun seeing reports of this online (it happened a few days after launch), and to get a replacement strap. They said as long as you're not flinging the remote around by the strap without holding onto it the strap should hold and offered to replace the whole thing. They'll probably change their tune once this starts happening by the hundreds, if it hasn't already.

Until they release an updated strap, as I'm sure they will, I've reinforced my straps with a high tensile strength nylon cable and fitted each remote with one of those rubbery makes-it-impossible-to-change-the-batteries sleeves.

I was amazed the thing still worked after hitting the bricks. The only problem with it was that it scratched the lens on the front so the pointer was jittery.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo have released a new strap though. Just yesterday.

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Really? Ooh, how do we get them?

8. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Do you have a link?

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

New wiimotes being sold already have the new strap, assuming it's not old stock (unlikely).

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

But the one that came with my Wii looks the same as the old ones.

11. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I knew it was only a matter of time. I'm going to give it a couple days then call up Nintendo to grab a set of them. Maybe they'll give them out to previous owners. If not, they're $1 each from their store. No biggie, either way. I'm definitely getting the upgraded straps one way or another.

My replacement Remote came exactly 6 days ago directly from Nintendo with the old strap, so this must be a really recent fix.

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah, my strap is definitely the old one. I'm getting Wii Play delivered on Monday so I'll see what that ones like. I want the new straps though, these look really thin and liable to break. I've got a very sweaty handed friend at home who I'm hoping to play with in about a week's time. We'll probably be playing on my flatmate's plasma TV and I'd rather not smash it up. Actually, my ACD that I'm playing on now is probably a worse thing to break but at least I know that's insured!!

13. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi