Wii Internet set-up confusion.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacTT, Nov 11, 2006.

1. MacTT macrumors member

Hey everyone. I need some help!

Ok now. I am going to get a Wii soon and I want to have internet access ready for when I get it. Problem is, I have no idea how wireless internet connection works. What do I need to get?

I have an Intel iMac which I got around Spring last year.
    And this is how the Wii's internet connection works:
    Do I have to buy something? What is it? Please explain this to a noob. I have no ideaa. Thanks a lot, I can always count on everyone here. :D

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

How does your iMac connect to the net? You might need to buy a Router... preferably a wireless one...

3. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

You most likely just need a wireless connection. If you already have cable or dsl, all you really need is a wireless router. For setting up your wireless router, your cable cable (assuming you are using cable) goes into your modem (which I assume you have) and your internet cable will now go from you modem to your wireless router instead of from your modem directly to your computer. Your imac and wii will be able to pick up the wireless signal. I recommend the Apple Airport Express for a router, a bit expensive, but very compact and easy to use with wireless itunes and printing options.

Am I missing something...anyone else??

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

So...

So...what the Wii says regarding internet access is that it connects to the 'net like nearly EVERY OTHER computer in existence.

Either buy a wireless router or plug in an ethernet cable. Done.

5. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

I don't think I will be able to connect an ethernet cable from my modem to the Wii because my modem is in one room and the Wii will be in the living room.

So I guess that leaves me with a wireless router. Awesome. BTW, I am using cable. :)
    Any reccomendations for some wireless routers? There is Airport Express.. and.

6. Malus macrumors 6502

I use a linksys router...had it for about 3 years now and it works great wirelessly.

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Share the internet connection through the iMac wirelessly - if you don't want to buy a wireless router.

8. Motley macrumors 6502

What he said. Your internet connects to your comp, your comp has wireless capability built in, just use that. No need to buy anything extra.

9. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

Oh wow, thats possible? I can connect the Wii to my iMac wirelessly and use the internet on the Wii? Interesting. Are there any drawbacks to doing though?

10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Your computer has to be on. That's about it. I think the speed should be the same if not very similar.:D

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Can you do that?

12. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

13. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

!! Wow. Is the connection slower though? Can I use the internet on my computer and the Wii at the same time?

That's great! It's ok if the computer stays on. :)

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, that doesn't matter anyway, unless you get the USB Ethernet adapter.

15. mkaake macrumors 65816

The only downsides are that your mac needs to be on and awake (no sleeping!) to keep the wireless connection active.

Otherwise, there's no downside, and you can set up your wireless with whatever level of encryption/protection you see fit.

16. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok. so here is a question.

Can I get one of these Trednet USB Wireless Adapter, connect it to the Wii and use the internet, without my computer being on?

Or do I need to get one of these wireless routers

D-Link Wireless G Router
    , so that I can use the internet on the Wii without my computer being on?

Gracias. :)

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Wii already has a wireless receiver built in, there is no need for a USB wireless adapter.

You need the router to transmit your internet connection wirelessly to the Wii.

18. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

19. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I would stay clear of DLink.

Go for an Express or Linksys, DLink tend to break easily.

Just MHO.

Kevin

20. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

ay.

Honestly, if you currently have your iMac plugged straight into your cable modem, and your iMac has an airport card installed, all you need to do is go into system preferences, then to sharing, then to internet, and set it as sharing from your ethernet port to airport. the wii will find your wireless connection, connect to it, and your all set. no need to buy anything.

21. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

so basically you just need:

- Wireless base station/router
    -- Example: Apple Airport Express, Netgear Wireless Router, Linksys Wireless Router.

You will not need a Wireless Adapter only because the Nintendo Wii has it built into the system.

You want to look for something that has 802.11 G built in to the router/base station. You can get a good one from Target for about $49.99 i believe. It is a linksys router. Also, they do have the D-Link wireless routers but I noticed they do not sell as well as Linksys. If you are confused on what would be a good purchase I would suggest on talking to an associate for an electronics department. They will have usefull information in deciding on what you should get.

22. MacTT thread starter macrumors member

ok! I am learning a lot. Thanks guys.

So are all routers compatible with macs? Cause when I check online, some claim to be compatible with windows but make no mention of macs.

23. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

just about. most will use some sort of web-based setup, so it should be fine accessing that on a mac. run a quick google of the name of the router and "apple" or "macintosh". searching with "mac" won't generate any decent results, because the use of a MAC (completely different than the mac computer) address is used with the set-up of some routers.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Pretty much all routers are compatible with a Mac, I found that Netgear routers have particularly easy setup, you should secure it with WPA security as that is easier to use for the Mac, (and Windows XP), and the Wii supports it. EDIT: It is also a lot more secure than WEP.

25. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

i find that silly that they nake no mention of it just because routers are mutual devices so it can work with windows, macs, linux or whatever you got. so yes it will work. like eraserhead said that netgear works better for the macs. plus they have routers that are all white that can mix well with your mac setup :).