Wii Launch Games Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Sep 24, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So heres a thread to discuss the launch titles for the Wii. What your considering, what you've changed your mind on. What videos you have seen that have blown you away or left you inconsolable etc.

It will save having to start a new thread everytime a game is mentioned.

and please 1 rule. NO 360 or PS3 is better nonsense. Lets keep these new threads strictly for their repspective console. HiJacking these threads will lead to complaints being filed and your posts erased.

2. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Other Than Zelda ?

What are you guys and girls looking forward to other than Zelda ?

The biggest game I was looking forward to was Metriod, however that is no longer a launch title.

So I'm unsure of what exaclty you are all looking forward to.

Here's the list of games and territory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Wii

(though I think there are some errors) :)

3. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

So far i am waiting for Zelda and SSB Brawl Are either launch games?

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Zelda 100% is, unfortunetly Super Smash Brothers isn't a lauch title from day one, but it does land within the 'launch window' bracked of 3 months. However as we all know, Nintendos games have a long long history of slipping so it may not even make launch window.... which is a shame as it was one of the best GC launch titles.

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

One of the reasons I might hold out on the Wii is because of the lack of must-have launch titles for myself. Which is suprising to me because I originally thought there would be so many games I want for it but now looking at the list of confirmed titles nothing is getting me excited. Also I own a gamecube so I don't mind buying Zelda for Gamecube or any other game that will also be released on gamecube.

But okay, launch games on that list that DO interest me are:
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
    Trauma Center: Second Opinion
    Rayman Raving Rabbids
    Wii Play
    Wii Sports

6. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I want to get Excite Truck if i have enough money.
    And Trauma Center does look interesting.
    Super Mario Galaxy! Even though its not a launch title i still want it!
    Metriod Prime 3 Corruption looks amazing!
    Is Wii Music coming out? My mom really wants to try the Conducting out:D
    Sonic and the Secret Rings looks fun, but i would only rent it.
    Rayman Raving Rabbids is just weird, so i will rent it.
    Project H.A.M.M.E.R look good so i might get it.
    I just want to try Elebits out.

Just for the record on Wii launch day I am only able to buy one game (Zelda) and and an Extra Controller and Nun-chuck. BUT if i can find enough money i will get Excite truck.....Thank Goodness Wii Sports is included.....

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Mario! Mario Sunshine was good but was far to cute for me :p and the water cannon thing was not my cup of tea. However, Mario is Mario! So it's a must have!

I might give Metriod another chance only because of the new controls with the wiimote

and obviously, Zelda. mmmm Zelda.... already paid it off at EB! I was playing OoT yesterday and now I got the craving back

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Off the top of my head, and if we're only talking launch games...

Zelda. Didn't care much more than "this will be nice" for years and have just recently became very excited over this.

Red Steel. People keep complaining about the graphics, I wish I could see the screenies you guys were. Beautiful. I'm seeing stylised characters, the smoothest animation I've ever seen and some very lovely environmental and particle effects. Absolutely cannot wait for this. A non WW2 or future war based FPS. MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED. This just reminds me of a 1st person Max Payne which was a blast to play through.

And I cannot wait for Wii Sports. I've said a few times but I played a golf PS2 game that used strings and gloves instead of a joypad controller, and bloody hell I never laughed so much. the manager had to remove us from the machine as a queue was forming. AND THAT WAS JUST GOLF. Bowling and Tennis will probably take away my life for a few months.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Smash Bros is scheduled for 2007, it might not be launch window. November and December 2006 are the first two months.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Don't get too excited...just remember that it might not look that good.

Go watch the original trailer...it's fancy, amazing animation, you see reflections on the sword. It's all prerendered, not in game. Go watch the gameplay videos of the SAME BOSS FIGHT, and it looks like crap with terrible animation. (I know, I played the level, I was expecting the same level of animation I saw in the trailer and was disappointed)

The new trailer looks amazing, but Ubisoft let me down the first time so I'm skeptical. All the videos where someone has actually been playing it look nowhere as good as the trailer graphically.

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

the thing that worries me about Wii sports is the fact that the movement of characters is completely on rails. makes me wonder other than swinging the racket /remote is there ANY deeper gameplay than that ? If not its going to be one of those 10 minute diversions whose novelty soon wares off. It also might explain why they are packaging it with the Wii in Europe & America...

Just a glorified demo i fear.

Other than Zelda little actually bowls me over. I was excited about Elebits - thinking it was going to be a Pikmin kind of experience, only to see the demo and feel it was totally uninspired, and more of a technical demo than an actual game.

Trauma Center might be worth a look, though again the Novelty wore off on me with the nintendo DS version.

Tony Hawks looks just like an SSX rip-off ? Strange to go from a such a pinacle and gender defining game, to basically an EA game clone.

Rayman could be a good party game, but again where is the deep sngle player game that will tide you over.

In fact I think thats the thing with the launch titles (other than Zelda). They are all look 'OK' but are basically nothing new other than remote demos.

I 'MAY' delay a purchase for a launch Wii and keep my Gamecube pre-order of Zelda and wait until some really AAA killer games like Metriod, Mario & SSMB finally arrive.

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

But no 16:9...you know you want it with that shiny new tv you bought ;)

However, how soon until Nintendo starts cutting prices? In NA, Gamecube got a price cut 6 months after it came out, so who's to say that Nintendo won't do the same again? Or maybe bundle zelda/mario/ssb or whatever in with it at the same price ;) You are importing anyway aren't you? A NA price cut could be a good thing for ya!

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah widescreen would be nice...Besides I know what i'm like, i'll sucumb to temptation rather than wait anyway.. I always do :D :D

Price wise with importing...

Well its weird, see i'll import at the US price so $249 which is €194 (so I initiallly save myself €50)

However I will have to pay customs duty & vat which should work out around €60/70 - so it will end up costing slightly more than European price.

But it will assure me that my gamecube games will at least work.

Thankfully imported games are shipped seperatly so I wont have to pay tax on those, so at $49 = €39

I actually save 33% €20 per game as they are €59 retail here, (and shipping is free), so in the end I will end up spending a lot less overall by having an imported console.

Of course in an ideal world it would be region free, so I'd buy the console here, and the games from the US, ASIA & CANADA..... :(

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

So it will only cost you 10 euros more at first, but after you buy one game you will have made up the difference then? Importing sounds a lot better provided you dont mind waiting for the game to be mailed to you.

And I know the temptation thing, I wan't gonna get a Wii till next year, but yeah...I caved...:eek:

15. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'm only really excited about Zelda and Excite Truck, the others are a bit "meh". The good thing about getting the console after the US is that I get to see from reviews which is the best FPS out of CoD3, Far Cry: Vengeance and Red Steel (all are launch titles/ window I think).

The other games that I'm really looking forward to is Disaster: Day of Crisis, because it sounds like a great concept for a game, and Mario Galaxy, which aren't even launch titles. If Nintendo really wanted to make me happy, Okami for the Wii would be a good place to start. ;)

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Day of Disaster looks interesting.

Okami for Wii ? Well if it took 12 months for Resident Evil 4 to go from cube to ps2, you might get your wish this time next year ;)

I'm importing for ps2 anyway, waiting till Feb is a no go :)

Well that's the thing. In the past it's taken months and occasionaly years, for games to hit Europe after the US, hence the reason I import cube titles anyway. So waiting 10-14 days for a game to arrive is nothing, it's still 3 months or more before I can buy it here regardless :)

17. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

Launch date: I am gunna by I think Need for Speed Carbon. It looks really good, most of the videos I have seen I was impressed. I also like the new concept of choosing your affiliation (tuner, Import, or muscle).

Christmas: hoping for Red Steel and Batallion wars Wii. both of those games look very interactive and use the wiimote alot. Any who that is my two cents and what not.

18. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I have pre-ordered Twilight Princess, Red Steel, and Need For Speed: Carbon.

I'm hoping to get Excite Truck for Christmas.

Daniel.

P.S. Here's a list of the confirmed launch titles on Wikipedia, for those unfamiliar with what's going to be available: click here.

19. howard macrumors 68020

howard

no one has mentioned super monkey ball yet???

That was one of my favorite games of the gamecube!! with the new controller playing it with your friends is probably gonna be so much fun.

seriously, i know this game isn't serious and may look lame to some people, but if you like gaming with fun friends this is the best.

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

well i loved SMB 1 & 2, there's only so far you can take the concept. OK so this will tilt with the remote but fundemtally its the same old stuff (with tilt control tacked on) so unless it gets a 'massive' glowing appraisal on launch i'll say 'meh' and pass.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Monkey Ball might be fun, though I really didn't like the DS version. Have to see it first I think.

I totally forgot about the VC! I'll be buying a whole load of games there!

22. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Launch Day:

Zelda
    Mario World
    Mario 64

That'll keep me going till January.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm feeling excite truck now...The previews what I saw got me going for this game. MP3 looks like the best right now and I can't wait to play it.

Bless

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

When I get my Wii I plan on picking up Zelda at the same time. The paycheck after that I'll be getting Call of Duty 3. Those should be enough to hold me over until Super Smash Bros. Plus I'll have my DS and plenty of games for that too.

25. rob finch macrumors member

Launch day for me:

Zelda
    Call of Duty 3
    Splinter Cell Double Agent

Red Steel was a dead cert for me until recently, might save that for a little later now.

Soon after launch:

Wii Play
    Madden NFL 07

Other probables:

Super Monkey Ball
    Far Cry or Red Steel