Wii Linux

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061009-7939.html

Still a rumour but kinda interesting no? Wonder how this would really benefit the end user, make for easy modding perhaps Like the DS?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

interesting maybe...

But if all they can muster in excitment is the chance Opera comes out on Wii then shoot me now.

A 640x480 LowRes screen is NOT for surfing the web on.

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

4. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

What do you mean by "the chance Opera comes out on Wii"? It's been known for a while.

http://www.opera.com/products/devices/nintendo/

Also, there's still people on computers running in 640x480. And if Opera can run on a Nintendo DS (dual 256x192), it surely can run on the Wii in 640x480 (or 800x480, which I'm guessing will be the Wii's widescreen resolution).

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes i've tried NDS browser and i hated it, as much as I hate PSP and no doubt as much i will hate Wii's.
    Screens like that are not meant for web-browsing in 2006/7

And Wii will not have 800x480 it will be 720x480 via component or 640x480 via composite stretchd anamorphically to fit the resolution.

I repeat meh!

It also reminds me of all the fanboy crap when nintendo dropped DVD - "it's ok - the Wii is for games only" they declared, "everyone's got a dvd player so why does the Wii need it.."....

so why are you giving us a poxy half arsed web browser nintendo ? Surely anyone with an always on wifi connection will have a computer anyway. One that will be a damn site better at browsing the web on than the wii..... It's just a stupid gimmik IMHO......

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

While some of that is true, my grandma is buying a Wii and wireless router just so she can book flights on it. It was either that or a full blown computer that she won't be using, it makes sense. 640*480 with that fancy Zoom effect Nintendo are using is going to be absolutely fine for what she wants.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    OMGZORXXORZBBQ! THEY RIPPED OFF THE PS3!!! TEHY R TEH SUCK!! :p

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ha Ha..indeed..I might be burned at the stake for agreeing. Number two on the Nboyz s*** list...beating by the one called Oni:D

Bless

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

You know, with all of these little pieces of information, I'm wondering what Nintendo really wants the Wii to be.

Microsoft wants the X360 to be a gaming machine, media center hub that's capable of playing HD resolution (upscaled or HD DVD) movies, and that's what it is.

Sony says the PS3 is a Supercomputer :) . But really, it's a gaming machine/media center hub/Blu-Ray player.

In my opinion, the Wii is really a game machine with a few "family hub" features. I don't think it's meant to be a true media center the way that the 360 and PS3 are. Yeah, there's a photo channel and maybe music (?), but there's no media streaming capabilities like the others have. Maybe it's meant to be a touch-and-go type hub for the family: check the weather in 3 seconds before heading out the door, grab the family schedule posted on the message board, read the headlines via the browser. Maybe Opera Wii was never meant to be used as a full-blown browser. Maybe that's why the DVD feature was "removed", because it didn't fit in with what Nintendo was trying to make it, and HD output as well. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have liked DVD or HD, I would have, but Nintendo has chosen the path it wants to take with the Wii, and this is it.

BTW, interesting 'tar, Oni. :rolleyes: (The funny thing is, I find it less disturbing than your previous one. :p )

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Okay, so how do you know they won't support a higher resolution within Linux? I'm not saying they will, but even an old 4MB ISA VESA SVGA graphics card can do 1024x768 in straight 2D. Has it really been confirmed that the OS won't be 2D and support a higher display resolution for displays capable of it?

For all we know we could be browsing in 1920x1080 on the Wii, I'm sure the GPU could handle that in a non-game environment like a 2D web browser, heh.

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

HEY! I resemble that comment!

Bah. I've been blasting the Wii since it was dubbed "Wii." Everyone hated me, said I was full of ****. Then the REAL details came out, and everyone was like "OMG HE WAS RIGHT!"

I'm sorry, but I'm not real impressed if there's Linux on the Wii, as it's extremely limited and probably half-assed with the size of the storage onboard. Now, if they developed it to make it a stand-out feature, it might be worth getting, especially if it could stream music/movies.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

and pray tell how would that be displayed on a television. It's (the Wii) resolution has been set by the choice of SD

So no 1024x768 would NOT be possible....

Besides even if you take a 1920 x 1080 image and squeeze it onto a 640x480 screen, then it's still 640x480 when you see it and and not higher....

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Heh, are you sure there is actual logic behind what you are saying?

Nintendo announced a long time ago that Wii will support both Component and VGA output. I don't care if they throw around the "SD" acronym, that hardly means the hardware can't do more then 480p if they want it to. And just because they restrict it to 480p output for games doesn't mean they couldn't also allow the interface to run at a higher resolution over VGA/etc.

Again, I'm not saying they will or would, but I highly doubt anyone here has enough technical expertise regarding the Wii internals to say it isn't possible. Wasn't it just the 360 that put up an update to support 1080p? Yeah, it's usually something that can be handled via software updates.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But for all we know VGA output could have gone the same way as DVD playback, and region free gaming. There has been NO mention of it in the last few months or at the recent reveal announcements.

I'd be genuinly surprised if it is still there, and i'd be even more surprised if the browser is anything but a gimmick.

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The point is still made: we don't know, so we can't say it's not possible.

It could still be in there, and you could be able to use the browser in a higher resolution over VGA, but we don't know right now.

So lets not go spouting off impossibilities and complaining about things we don't know - especially when we have nothing solid to back that up with!

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Errr you do realise you are on a MacRumors site yes ;) :p

And I think my foundation for saying web browsing on a 640x480 screen being a bit poo is more than worthy. :)

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Dude, VGA doesn't mean jack ****. If the machine isn't going to pump HD level graphics through it's GPU, then it doesn't matter what conenction you have, you're going to get the same no matter what. If it pumps SD, then VGA won't up it to HD.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hmm, questionable since you would think they would stick with the exact same software the GameCube had, so the APIs would be the same. Perhaps the OS runs Linux but only outside of the games, so developers do not actually develop on Linux...

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

"HD level" is just a fancy way of saying "resolutions above 640x480", so you have effectively said a bunch of nothing.

I had a 386 with a 4MB video card that could do 1280x1024, and your suggesting the Wii can't? That's ridiculous and you very likely know it. If the GPU has the power (and it does) and a viable output method (eg VGA) then it certaintly can do resolutions great then 640x480.

All we are talking about here is for them to have a Linux driver that supports it. They can, and have, locked the system to a 480p max on the game side of things, that much we know. But being realistic, that is just a software lockout done for a good reason: the Wii would not perform well trying to run a complex 3D game at resolutions beyond "SD" at good consistent playable framerates.

That doesn't mean they can't program support for higher resolutions into the Linux driver.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

But that was in 2004; before they had even decided on the final controller. I don't think that carries too much weight- at this point they probably have scrapped it and dont even remember saying it.

You are correct, however; I questioned some devs at E3. The RAM is limited, so Nintendo opted not to go for HD output (significantly reducing the RAM required, as well as GPU processing power). Nintendo also supplied no HD output APIs so devs cannot make games in HD. But the system would be physically capable of it if you really wanted to make a HD game (it has component output after all), its just that without Nintendo supplying the APIs it will be too tough for developers to do that, and theyd have to spec down to get HD output in a game anyway.

I wouldnt be surprised if the menu output HD. But I wouldnt be surprised if it was SD, either. Heck, Nintendo could potentially send out a firmware update and new APIs to let developers shoot for 720p. But I doubt it.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The article has been updated; the Linux thing was a joke.

22. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

That's alright I complain about the PS3's online too as it can't output a res to match a 30" ACD. But you know what? These aren't meant to replace our computers. Did you know that? The PS3 isn't a super-computer that will render our Macs obsolete, the Wii's browser isn't as good as a PC/Mac browser. Did you know that? good. Guess what? The browser comes free with the Wii, a nice free accessory which will give me an easy to use and portable web browser to take to one of the homes abroad for a holiday to keep up to date on everything. Beats buying a Mac Mini and plugging that into a 480i TV. At least this way I can throw a device just 3 DVD's thick into a bag and as well as playing games I'll be able to check MR, delete spam from my blog and forum and keep up on emails.

If you think the aim of the free, Opera browser is to make our computers obsolete then you probably have some ounce of a problem.
    I've used mobile and DS browsers to keep up to date on things in the past, that was never a problem. why would it be now?

^linux a joke. there we go! nip that in the bud. Now if only Sony could be as clear :rolleyes:

23. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I thought the point of Nintendo going with 640X480 for the console was that pretty much everyone was going to have it hooked to a SD set. Or at least this is the argument that was made by Nintendo fans. So we can't now just assume that everyone will have this hooked up to an HD capable set, can we?

You can't have it both ways: (1) No one needs HD because no one has HD (2) People will have it hooked up to an HD capable monitor via VGA so they can browse the web.

I think this should be more of a question of how well a zoom function will work with this browser. I wouldn't hold my breath on it being at a higher res for browsing functions.

That being said, browsing on a TV sucks. I had an old PC hooked to an HD TV a few years back and it was annoying. Much easier to just hop on a computer. I wouldn't want to surf the interwebs on my 360 or the Wii.

Edit: Forgot to mention how very off topic this thread became. ;)

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Have you seen the videos of the Wii web browser? With the zoom function, it actually looks quite usable. Hey, if you can do it on a DS's tiny screen, why not Wii?

25. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm not sure if you started at the beginning of the thread. I wasn't suggesting that Wii will support "HD" for games. I was merely countering MRU's negativity with the possibility that the UI itself, and specifically the Web Browser application, could indeed be allowed to run at higher resolutions.

That is all I was ever suggesting, that in a 2D non-gaming environment like the GUI/Browser the Wii should have no problems outputting at a higher resolution, and this could and would be completely independent of the actual games, which would still be running in SD for performance reasons.