Wii Marketing

Discussion in 'Games' started by gloss, Nov 13, 2006.

1. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Saw this on Google News and thought you guys would be interested, since there seems to be a marked opinion here that Nintendo's not pushing the console hard enough.

Enjoy.

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Only if by "hard enough" you mean "not at all." ;)

This is good news and about...damn...time. Sell me, Nintendo! :D

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Saw my first Wii advert earlier today. E4, just before Hollyoaks. They've extremely simple, looks like they're playing the ol' Orange-styled advert. Don't explain everything, isn't cryptic etc. The same as the Japanese advert. Just shows the controller coming closer to the screen with a delicate feminine voice saying something like "what is it?" "this is Wii".

Let the action commence :)

I don't see what the "about time" is about though... Do you guys not get DS adverts? Loads on here. Though now they've gone down to game-only adverts.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Well, I only have standard TV here (no cable or anything, just the basic network tv) and I've yet to see a single ad for a Wii. I think I've seen one commercial for Super Monkey Ball, and that's it: the Wii comes out in 5 and a half days. I live in the Atlanta area, one of the larger metros in the US, so it's not like they're just gonna skip here.

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Ditto.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Nintendo (non-DS) ad for, well, anything. Certainly nothing on the Wii.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

8. patmort02 macrumors member

Ya it is kind of a shame. For such a revolutionary device you would think they would push it harder. I have to explain to most of my friends what it actually does differently than the other consoles. Oh well...i'll be picking one up regardless.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What exactly have they done wrong? The 360 is the only machine I've seen that has advertised 3-4 weeks before the systems launch. Gamecube? at launch. PS2? launch, then strangely about 2-3 years later. N64? PS1? At the most (barring the 360 and including the Xbox 1) adverts start between 1 week prior to launch or the launch. The Press, on the other hand, bang on about systems months in advance. 360 adverts being cryptic as hell mind. I don't think any have subliminally said "buy me!".

Interestingly there was an article in PCW today talking about the Wii. Everything they said was positive but because it was a preview they didn't give it a rating. This is the same magazine that banged on about how the PSP will destroy the DS, yet ironically under "Christmas gift ideas" they said "get a DS Lite" :D . not important. but it exists nonetheless.

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Funny you should mention that as USA Today last Thursday had a full-page spread on the upcoming Holiday season and the new gaming consoles. This is USA Today, a major newspaper read by millions daily.

They had three pictures -- one of each console -- with a little blurb above that said "What should you do?" (Source)

(PS3 Picture)
    A. Wait in line maybe for days for a PlayStation 3, and probably end up empty-handed.

(Wii Picture)
    B. Wait in a shorter line for a Wii, pocket the change and maybe be disappointed.

(360 Picture)
    C. With a swipe of a credit card, go home with a well-stocked Xbox 360.

The Wii needs some marketing behind it badly. People know what a PS3 is. They've no idea Nintendo still makes gaming consoles for the home.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Eep, sounds like Nintendo have a struggle in US and A :)D ) where they effectively have Europe (UK at least) on a plate.

Same for Microsoft too I suppose. They need to do something big with the 360 over the Christmas period. All it will have is the Wii and DS for competition. Cummon MS :D