Wii Modchip Already?

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Jan 31, 2007.

1. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My god that was quick. :eek: That explains all the torrents suddenly appearing :rolleyes:

Nintendo must be cursing in its boots.

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, I saw this over at Engadget. I just hope that this doesn't affect too much with Nintendo. I'm sure it won't as MS and sony has survived in spite of the piracy. But hopefully, this just adds features (DVD playback :rolleyes: ) rather than aid in piracy.

4. Agilus macrumors regular

If anything, it will help them. How do you think Microsoft Windows got so widespread? :)

That said, I don't think it will have much of an effect on anything. I'm guessing that only a tiny percentage of people will actually A) know about this, B) be capable enough with electronics to do it, and C) be motivated to do it. The N64 was cracked, as was the GBA, so it's not like there's never been a cracked Nintendo system.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It was only a matter of time before this happen. It will be real interesting to see who will mod their wii(That sounds funny).

Bless

6. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i've always wanted to give one of these Modchips a try. but i've never wanted to open my consoles up.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wow! Though to be honest I'm just going to wait till a modchip that can play NTSC games. That's all I want.

8. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I though we cannot talk about illegal things on MR?

9. Agilus macrumors regular

What, you mean like murder? Holy crap, I might get banned for mentioning murder! :) ;)

10. pcypert macrumors 6502

I hate to say it, but this might make me look at one...especially if the mod allows DVD playback...

I like my systems to have DVD. I'm not usually one to play or endorse pirated software by any means...but I could see where some of these games might actually be bearable for the cost of a blank DVD...I know lots of folks who might enjoy playing some of the games every now and then but wouldn't pay 50 bucks for them.

It sounds harsh, but since Nintendo makes a profit on the console this could still be a really good thing for them. I bet there's tons of folks out there who will buy the system for 250 and then never buy a real game...but unlike MS, Nintendo still makes a small profit. It's not much, but some of those folks probably weren't going to buy it in the first place right?

Not that I advocate that kind of behavior...

Paul

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

That youtube clip was great, thanks for posting that. Makes me want to go and find the entire video of that conference.

Apparently there are 2 Wii chip choices now.

12. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Me too. Despite all the technological advancements in home consoles, minor markets like Australia still get games months later than America. Why? PAL ports are no longer necessary when most people have televisions capable of NTSC playback. How could Twilight Princess get released at launch and Excite Truck get delayed until the end of February? Why did America have to wait for Wii Play? These are problems that a modchip would solve.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The 3 - 6 months (of sometimes longer) waiting period for Europe to get the game is what peev's me off, and if there's no Freeloader style device for import games on a wii, then I will modchip mine.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sometimes I don't mind the delays. We're prone to bug fixes in our delays. I think the most obvious one I've spotted was Tony Hawks on the PS1. The US version was littered in bugs, IIRC even the music cut out. UK one was free of problems. Metroid Prime and Smash Bros are 2 others I've seen notable improvements.

But y'know... sometimes you just want a game early :D

15. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Mod chip doesn't necessary mean illegal. For instance - there are system mods out there (Saturn and Gamecube come to mind) that only feature territory defeat which is legal. Mod chips for playing copied games - yes, those are illegal.

I'm not surprised by this; it's only a matter of time with every console. If there's a will, there's a way. :eek:

I was just checking on Ps2 mods the other day (to defeat region protection). I want an import Ps2 but considering they retail for double what a US console would, I'm looking forward to modding a US Ps2 to play Japanese games. Nowadays they've got no-solder/all version Ps2 mods out there that do just this...wow...how far the scene has come. I remember when Ps2 mods were exclusive to certain hardware revisions and required an exhorbitant amount of wires (which I don't have a problem with; I modded my Saturn, Dreamcast, and PsOne to play imports).

I wish home consoles would just do the same thing as portables and let you play whatever you wanted (ie games from any region). I hear the 60g Ps3 does this...and the NeoGeo and all of Nintendo's cartridge systems have been this way (with minor "cutting" required) as well.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That had to change what side of the road the trucks were on. :D

17. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I remember modding the N64, taking an import apart and putting the US back on it so it would fit in the slot,or the disk swap with the PSone. I am also happy to say I should be getting my Wii today and i would never consider modding it

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Hahaha, that's great.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A little OT- but can anyone who's played the WarioWare driving game say if Excite Truck is similar? Silly question, but I really want an arcadey racer for the Wii.

20. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

Can't they do what they did for TP for Wii and GC? Weren't they just mirror images?

21. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Hmm... any chance a modchip could be made, or some sort of hack that allowed you to play DiVX files off of a USB hard drive or SD card?

I don't own a Wii yet, but if I could do that I'd definitely buy one (assuming I could actually find it in a store ;) ).

22. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I haven't played the race game in WW but Excite Truck is a fantastic arcadey race game. If you ever played something like Hydro Thunder in the arcade with giant drops and a huge sense of speed, you will like it. After Zelda TP, Excite Truck and Madden 07 are my top Wii games so far.

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

I suppose they could, though I'm not sure exactly how much work had to be done to pull that one off.

But judging by the :D in Counterfit's post, (and the fact that I don't think the side of the road matters as I'd just drive down the middle anyway :)) I think it was more of a humorous post rather than a serious one. ;)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Counterfit. :D

24. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I wouldn't touch one of these with a 10 foot pole until Nintendo starts releasing online games, and we can see how the modchips affect that. A lot of people will be very pissed off if Nintendo does what MS does and bans your system from online play if a modified console is detected. Since i'm personally looking forward to online play from Nintendo (finally!), i'm not going to risk anything for sure.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oo, good call. I wonder how stealthy these actually are.

What I would like though, though either illegal or legal ways - a way to take Virtual Console games to other systems! High scores and all. I'd love to take Mario Kart down to my mates house (his living room is so accommodating for 4 players, nay! 400 players!... no. 4 players.).

I wonder how long it would take for the VC to get properly hacked, to run downloaded games like. I've heard the security for them is super tough after all. That each VC download is encoded to work on that system alone, think it even has a Steam style validating system... I haven't tried playing around with it so I can't verify.