Wii - my thoughts on its future

Discussion in 'Games' started by aholden12592, Mar 10, 2007.

1. aholden12592 macrumors regular

I have some opinions about the wii. It's a great console right now aand has some great ideas. This is same with gamecube - great ideas and innovations. WHen it came out I was blown away by the small disk and the abilty to carry it around. It got a lot of hype at the beginning but what happened after that - it died. I forgot it was even around. I think this is going to happen with the wii. It has some good stuff but its gonna blow over and it won't get block buster games because of the too original design.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The Wii should do well if it can avoid the death trap Nintendo seems to be heading it for. The main games people are hyped about are all first party Nintendo games. Wii needs more than just Mario/Party/Kart/Tennis/whatever (in his 10,000th adventure) Metriod (in her 1000th adventure), Zelda (in it's 10,000th adventure) etc. It needs kick ass 3rd party games that make it different than the 360/PS3. Just porting games over (a la COD3) with a new control scheme isn't good enough.

Plus, get online up and going! Get rid of lame-ass Wii codes. Get the online stuff running better (I hate waiting so damn long for the store to connect) Get better channels than "Everybody votes!" or the weather channel too (I realize those will come with time but show demos of them to get people excited)

Also, I was at the movies last night (saw 300 pretty sweet movie actually) and they had Wii demo stations there with Nintendo guys. They had 4 set up. 1 had Zelda on it. The other three had Wario Ware on it. Show off more than just Mini-games Nintendo! Show off SSX Blur, show off Excite truck (lame as it is), show off REAL GAMES, not mini-games. It makes the system look/feel so much like a gimick. I realize they want easy stuff ot ease people into playing it and all that but cheesy mini-games are just lame.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

While I think the Wii is very cool and innovative, I am a little worried about it. The trend already is for games with lots of mini games. While these are fun, I don't think they have much lasting value after you play each one a couple times (except for Wii Bowling, just awesome). I think a lot of people are like me; We like the Wii, it is great for a group of people, but if I am going to play a serious game, it is going to be on my 360. The game is going to look better, possibly have better AI and physics, and have better online support. Also, because of the 360's achievements, any game that is on both systems, I am always going to get on the 360.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My thoughts are that this is the DS as a console.

Not many games in the first 9-12 months, then a sudden surge (history has repeated here, devs avoided the DS until it was proven. The Wii has just hit the proven stage. The GC didn't get here.). This is what a lot of people don't get. There is huge demand for Wii Dev kits, smaller studios simply cannot get hold of them because the system is on a popularity roll.

That said the "winner" of this gen will probably be the DS.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My biggest fears with the wii was

a) nintendo with it's usually lapsy-daisicle release schedule would end up releasing maybe 1 mario kart, 1 zelda (possibly 2), 1 mario platformer, in it's 5 year lifespan. So that equates to maybe 1 or 2 major titles per year

This seems to be coming true. Mario Party or any other spin off developed by camelot or other third party doesnt count.

b) third party games would be nothing more than either souped up playstation 2 (or stripped down PS3/360) games with wii remote control scheme hacked onto it. With a few mini games thrown in just to prove it's a wii game.

So far (and I acknowledge we've only seen the barest of 3rd party support as yet) this also seems to be coming to fruition.

If nintendo can get a rocket up there bums and make sure we see new AAA titles sooner rather than later (i mean hire some more god damn programmers and artists if its taking that long :rolleyes: ) and third partys also take their fingers out of their lazy asses and produce somthing noteworthy - then it may have a bright beautiful future.

But this easy ride of public appeal they are carried on at the moment is not going to last much longer if the software doesnt start materialising and the 'revolution' doesnt actually happen.

and as for VC

I'm sorry but releasing overprice VC games that I bought and played 10 - 15 years ago may get some people off, but for me......... I bought a Wii for wii games... period

6. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

My opinion is that the Wii is just to tide us over until Nintendo's next great system. Remember, that Nintendo is not losing any money on anything they sell related to the Wii. Microsoft and Sony are still using the old model of lose money on the consoles and make it up in game sales. The Wii isn't so far removed from the Gamecube that it could possibly be costing Nintendo much more to produce and they are selling it for more money than they sold the Gamecube for. They also have money coming in from the downloadables which cost them almost nothing to provide relative to the cost of burning the games to a DVD and putting them in a box with a printed manual. They are building up a warchest for the next generation after this one. Then I predict you will see something really killer as a successor to the Wii. Something that Microsoft and Sony will not be prepared for. Until then, though, the Wii is still fun to play.

7. ericsthename macrumors regular

I've never felt that the comparison between handhelds and consoles was a parallel one.

I bought myself a Wii last week, and the first and only game I bought for it was a 3rd party exclusive. THESE are the games that Nintendo needs! Sure, it will be worth it in the end, because I would buy the system if only for the Mario/Nintendo first party's, but WITHOUT the broader scope, the Wii will see the same future that the GC had.

Having sold and continuing to sell dev kits is a kiddy step in the right direction, but I'm not waiting for a bunch of indie games to bombard the Wii - I want titles that are akin to what are hitting the 360, Crackdown, Gears, Unreal, Oblivion. The 3rd party "big boys" make their hay on blockbuster releases, pouring tons of time, effort and $$ into AAA grade titles.

If these folks don't have enough reason to go to the Wii then I will be sad. If you compare them to stocks, the Wii is a high risk investment, whereas the 360/PS3 are more traditional Portfolio Platformers :p

Any way you spin it, it will be interesting!

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It gets me off big time, baby. The VC is worth the price of the Wii alone for me. I haven't actually played a Wii game since.....January?

9. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Devs are going to run rampant with this console next year once it passes 360 with the biggest user base...However, in no way will this console compete with 360 sales.. People who buy the 360 or PS3 want to play games for the graphics...

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There are similarities. The most expensive handheld, as well as console, has never come out on top. But, as the DS has proved there is a huge market of non-gamers who want to get involved. The Wii is a static console version of that ideology. I mean if the Wii was just like the PS3/360, taking a traditional route then we'd probably be seeing the PS3 with more sales than the Wii. But it's different, like the DS. And it's showing already.

Exactly. But this isn't always a good thing. It just ends up like the PS2 or PC. 99% rubbish. I suppose it also means variation, which would be nice. I just hope theres a level of quality maintained. Nintendo are (were) notorious for games being of a certain quality. A studio I've done animation work for had troubles getting the GBA game "certified". I can't really say about other console makers and their restrictions and controls.

I want my DS Download channel :(

11. Agilus macrumors regular

I'm not sure if this matters. It didn't hurt the PS2, and probably helped it. If you've got more rack space for more games, people see that, and if you seem to be the popular choice, many people respond to that.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The wii will be fine...as long as they put out games thats good and not that 3rd part gimmick port crap...so far so good but they keep up this stale game lineup then there will be a problem....wii sports can hold people over for only so long.

I'm all for seeing the wii get some great games..I'm hoping they do. VC was never my thing so that part of the wii doen't interest me at all...I just can't get all excited over old arse games at the price nintendo is selling it.

Bless

13. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I'm starting to get concerned about the 3rd party developers. It looks like they see the wii as a way to do cheap and dirty recycling of old IP-- Prince of Persia , SSX Blur (all old courses), Resident Evil Mash-up, Far Cry, Call of Duty, tony Hawk etc. And not many of these are getting the controls right, if you read the reviews. (Exception seems to be Madden). The Cube proved that Nintendo IP is not enough.

14. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

But haven't you guys played the *@*!ing awesome Avatar game?!

:rolleyes:

(btw I love the Wii)

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

This thread is certainly full of conjecture.

For freak sake people, wait a year before passing "premature" judgements for a console that has only been out for about 5 months.

Look at the 360's launch titles, it was plagued with 3rd party rehashes and it took over a year for there to a "couple" of games (Both first party.) that I would be interested in playing. This has been the norm for all consoles for quite some time and will not change.

People often forget that most popular games, especially in the early years of a console's life are first party. It generally takes years for 3rd party devs to get things right. So for a new console, that's untested water, they're not gong to blow their budget on something that could end up being a failure.

The comments that COD3 didn't get the controls right on the Wii, is complete utter BS. They're nohting more than the opinions of thumb-twiddling NOOBs. It's a FPS, which is a game based on pointing. Low and below the Wii is a precice pointer, given that you're not too far from the sensor bar. It's going to take a bit longer for some of these thumb-twiddlers to get used to a better way of aiming. Last time I checked, you don't use your thumb to aim a gun.

My problem, is that I listened to too many others and didn't try COD3 for myself. I finally played the game for more than a minnute at my friend's store and with a few adjustments in the option's menu, to adjust things to my liking, its controls were absolutely great for a FPS, since holding a Wiimote is similar to holding a gun. FarCry's control's were also quite good, the problem with that game, is that it was nothing more than a scraped-unrefined-Cube game slapped onto the Wii. Just one of many examples of 3rd party devs not investing too much time into something new, before it's proven.

If things aren't better by this time next year, then there's cause for concern. But as of right now, when I see a thread started like this, I see it as nothing more than fear, fear that a console that's not up to the specs of some's likings, has a real chance of dominating and in turn grabbing the most 3rd party support this time around.

Ge, thanks Nintendo for reviving the already dead game industry in the eighties and investing the time to R&D new areas of gaming that other consoles take for granted. I'm so glad they and SGI spent the time to develop the tech that ATI later aquired and has since then used to develop all of their GPUs.

Blah. *grumbles* *conjecture*

<]=)

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Meh, this topic is fine. Now that the PS3 bashing isn't in vogue (or just burned out) anymore something needs to spark conversation.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Its the DS of the home..."gamers" will complain about its lack of non-Nintendo games, say graphics suck, and that its going to fail soon, but it will sell more units then the 360 and PS3.

18. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

In 20 years, when virtual reality is mainstream and everyone has it (think Tron times 100)... Nintendo will release a console like the ps3/360 that has average graphics and is barely interactive.

And since it's wildly different than what we have now it'll sell... big. ;)

19. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I love the Wii, honestly but I really believe most of its success is due to its gimmicky and novelty nature, I've seen many people (especially non gamers) be dazzled by the Wii but in the end... the PS3/360 ends up impressing them more.

To be honest I also had wii fever until I realized better hardware will probably allow more gameplay possibilities than motion sensing can, the TRUE future of gameplay lies in physics. Physics can get you in the game and make it more interactive than motion sensing can in my opinion.

Still, I like the Wii because of the usual Nintendo 1st party but I think that like the GameCube, it will fail. I'll still buy one but I think the PS3/360 will be more succesful.

Though the Wii has an opportunity to grab non gamers if it releases enough games, not that it matters much in the end for the avid gamer crowd (where the money is anyway).

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I highly doubt in the long term it will outsell either one. It's near the end of the line for the Wii media hype train, people are starting to wonder why last gen's technology is taking so long to produce enough to supplement store stocks. Do you think the consumer is that dumb, that the demand is so high that modern mass production technologies can't keep up? get real!

The GCN started out really strong, but look where it ended up. The Wii will excel is 1st party games, the mario, the zelda, the SSBB. This isnt a bad thing, i love all of those franchises and will end up owning any release that Nintendo made of them.

The unfortunate reality is that they hype will wear off (it already has to a certain degree), and we will end up with GCN 2.0, is that a bad thing? Nah i dont think so, overall i think the GCN had some great games and good hardware to play it on. I just don't see Nintendo staying where they are now for over 6-10 months, to think different is just living in a pipe dream. To each their own though.

Ed

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

And the DS didn't enjoy nearly as many sales that the Wii did in the launch time. Stop comparing apples to oranges, its not a valid argument.

Ed

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As I said above - exactly the same ideologies for both systems. Both cheapest of their markets, both "underpowered", both "gimmicky", same arguments from the Non-Nintendo people about why they'll fail, both with... *ugh*... Friend Codes.

24. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Ok then in that case lets compare the PS2 and PS3, the PS2 had a sh*t launch the numbers were worse than the PS3 launch. Both met negative press, and had production issues. So with the way you talk about how the Wii will match the history of the DS then the PS3 is guaranteed to be #1, just like history had it with the PS2.

That pendulum can swing both ways.

Ed

25. pcypert macrumors 6502

I've seen a few folks bringing their Wii's back...asians want lots of games and most are unhappy with things now (not that Thailand represents a huge user base).

More will come out for it and it will be ok. All the folks buying them now aren't going to just throw them out in two months when they're sick of Wii sports....but they might forget they have it lying around.

The only other thing that worries me is Nintendo's horrible release ethics. They are plagued with delays and really drawn out development lives. They need to snap things in gear. Xbox 360 has one such developer (Halo 3) so people put up with it...but if all the major releases are like this...

Paul