Wii News Channel?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wasn't this supposed to be launched yesterday or has the date shifted? Was sorta looking forward to it.

:eek: BBC News 24 probably being the most viewed channel in the house n all.

2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I belive its the 27

i though it was the 23 then someone told me it was the 27 so yeah....

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I had 23rd burned into my head too.
    still, it's only a few more days off I suppose :D

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wikipedia says Jan 27

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I dont get the news channel thing, just put it on channel xx and watch the news. Or go to cnn.com or whatever site you prefer, since the wii channels have that annoying load time and sync up time it is probably quicker that way...

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Flipping on channel 5 seems much easier then turning on my Wii and looking.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

most likely, but if I'm down stairs playing my Wii, and I change games, its quicker to go to Wii channel

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I just hope the Assosiated Press/whatever who are providing the service are similar to BBC. I've always found other news sources to be sensational with their news. CNN taking the biscuit of course. It's the only English channel we get in Spain and they're all... nah not worth getting into :D

Loving all these extra applications for the Wii though. I never knew I'd spend so much time on the Mii and Forecast channel.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would like an App/Channel like Connect360 for xbox. Then the Wii could be my :apple:TV.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I wonder if it will be like the RSS screensaver under OS X, or if it will provide live video feed?

I'm looking forward to this also. When everything else is shutdown in my office, getting the weather or internet from my Wii is just convinient. I'm assuming the same will be true for this news channel. Turnning to CNN and waiting for some bit of news to come on can be a matter of waiting for the commercial, or the top of the hour, or they'll be caught up on some story with never ending coverage.

I really enjoy flipping through all of my game channels on the Wii. :eek: Nintendo really hit the mark with their menu setup. They must have taken pointers from :apple:.

<]=)

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I know they have images. And I don't see how videos could be a problem - seeing the Opera Browser (I'm guess this will be the delivery system underneath) supports Java/Flash and friends.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

speaking of Flash, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Flash 8+ support in the near future.

<]=)

13. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Story on CNN - http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/fun.games/01/25/wii.news.channel.ap/index.html

These bits are interesting:

Consoles with a broadband Internet connection and the Opera Web browser will be able to access the free news channel, which will offer AP news in multiple languages. Japanese-language news will come from a separate agency.

There were no immediate plans to sell advertising space, said Perrin Kaplan, vice president for marketing at Nintendo's U.S. headquarters in Redmond, Washington.

News will be displayed through an interactive map, which users can navigate with the Wii's wireless controller, Kaplan said.

"The beauty of it is it zooms in and out of areas of the world," she said. "So if you really want to focus on regional news or national news versus international, you just blow up the map of the U.S."

Not sure if that means you need the Opera browser downloaded to work the news functionality? Or do they mean the built-in Opera bits that power the Shop Channel, Weather Channel, etc.?

But the map sounds great - Forecast Channel in news form. Just hope it has less lag than the weather. :rolleyes: I can see it now: zoom in on Florida, and there's a bulletin: "Al Gore loses disputed recount, Bush becomes president."

Hope the map isn't limited the same way Forecast is - lots of stuff for the country you're registered in, less everywhere else.

Also hope this isn't just Perrin Kaplan blowing smoke, like every other comment she's made in the last 6 months. Region-free DVD-playing Wii, anyone?

Interesting that this is an AP story about the Wii now featuring...AP stories.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

indeed

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't know it had a globe feature :D Very nice. Can't wait... between this and tonights VC update I'm starting to wish I wasn't going away for the weekend :D

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

so anybody tried it today?

i forgot to do it this morning.. there are reports around that it's now working..

kinda like a fancy rss reader thing..

will check when i get home

u didnt know about the globe feature? lol!! there's a big button saying "G L O B E" :D

what VC update?

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I knew the Weather has it, didn't think the News channel would have it.

19. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i'm waiting to check it out when i get back.. altho i've a mad hectic evening which has to go like clockwork..

gotta leave work early (15:45), fill car with petrol, pick my wife from work, then pick son from nursery, go home, pack, drop son off at in-laws (20 miles away, in rush hour), get back home, shower up and change, head into the city for my mates surprise 30th, of which i'm dj'ing (along with 3 others)..
    aint even packed my record boxes yet!! lol..

and all that in a 3 hour timescale..
    man.. i shoulda taken the day off :p

annnyway.. there's some screenies over at gizmodo about the wii news channel.. looks schweet!! altho, i hope it's not just updated once or twice a day like the weather channel..

there should be an option for how frequently you want it to update.. if there is, i can't find it (on wii messages or weather channel)

wow.. this is turning out to be a long post..

ps: i'm bored at work :p

20. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

What I would *really* like is a message from Nintendo saying "your update is ready!", bringing the blue light into play. Since system updates can't be done automatically for security and "I just wanted a quick play!" reasons.

Im eager to see where the Wii will be in 6 months in terms of added software and better UI. I've sent Nintendos HQ a list of little things that need changing, even getting a reply back saying that they're already looking into these issues.

21. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

yeah, sounds a good idea about the "update ready".. or maybe diff colours to indicate diff things? i dunno.. just thinking off the top of head..

so what idea's you sent are they looking in to?

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I did get the blue light and message from Nintendo that the weather channel was ready for me to update.

23. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

now that IS true.. i did too.. maybe raggedjimmi was meaning something else then.. ?

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I got a message that said just that. Something that told me the News channel was now live. You may very well still get one, you just got the informaiton from the internet first.

As for a Globe feature on the News I currently don't see one...

the only options I see are Wii Menu and Slide Show. Although the Slide show does show a map in the background highlighting where the news happened/is going on.