Wii on launch day

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

So every place I visited pre preorders told me they would have tons of consoles and I could probably just walk in on launch day. All over the web there were stories flying about Nintendo having explosive Wiirrhea and how Wii's would fall from the sky if you said Zelda's name 3 times. Now though, every place I go to has said they are out of preorders, that they ran out almost immediately after offering.

What do people think the chances are of getting one on launch day? How early would you have to wait (god, I don't know if I can make myself wait for hours, I'm too old for this s***) at, for example, Wal-Mart or BestBuy? What about the chances for picking up Zelda?

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

4 million units on launch day... I'd bet your odds are good of getting one by just walking in. I'm banking on it as I haven't so much as looked at pre-ordering.

3. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

That's what I was thinking too, until I walked by an ebgames and strolled in, asked about pre-ordering it. Then asked around more. Now I'm not so sure. Sigh.

4. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

There won't be 4 million on launch day. It is 4 million by the end of the year worldwide. In North America they are shipping 2 million units by the end of 2006.

If you wanted a Wii on launch day, you should have pre ordered. Having said that I'd say you have a fair chance of getting one at Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target, etc. on launch day without a problem but I'd show up early if I were you.

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Getting a Wii on launch day should be pretty easy, even more so the following weeks.

PS3 is the real tough one to get.

6. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

6 million units sold worldwide by the end of the year. 4 million of which are U.S. units.

Rumors have it they'll have even more than that.

I'll obviously be there when the nearest K-Mart opens as I want the sucker ASAP.. but I don't think there's any reason to pre-order or worry about preordering.

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hey, don't really want to start a new thread on this, so I thought I might just ask it here:

Will a Wii connect to my Dell 2405fpw?

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

Ditto. I'm sure that there'll be at least 50+ units at my local Wal-Mart. There are only about 4000 Wal-Mart stores in the US and if each Wal-Mart averages 100 units, that only accounts for about 400k units or only 40% of the total # of units for the US if we have a million by launch day (which has been speculated that we will).

FleurDuMal, does the 2405 have Svideo or composite? If so, it will definitely connect to it. If it has DVI and/or VGA, check out this thread.

9. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hmm, thanks, some of these replies are making me feel better. I'm still going to go early, but I don't think I'm going to try to wait in some massive line.

10. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

. . . .

. . . .

Why don't you want to start a new thread? That question doesn't pertain to this thread.

11. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

No you got your numbers mixed up. The six million units is their worldwide target for the end of their fiscal year which ends March 31. The four million units is worldwide by the end of calandar year 2006. As of now Nintendo hasn't stated how many will be availible on launch day itself. You also need to remember just because Nintendo ships the units to distibutors doesn't mean they will all be on store shelves.

I almost didn't pre order mine, but I knew I wanted it on launch day and that week is heading into Christmas shopping season which may make getting one even more difficult. Luckily my preorder was painless I showed up at my GameStop ten minutes before opening and was number 5 of 12 on the list.

12. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

I really don't know what to believe from all the stories I've read... I pre-ordered mine, just in case of at my local GameStop. :) I asked yesterday about them getting extras when I went in to pay some more on the deposit for some of my friends and all I got was the silent treatment... :confused: but all they wanted to talk about was reserving Rayman for the Wii.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yep, via component. or VGA with an adapter, but that's moot when you have component anyways.

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Most standard franchised "game stores" (such as Gamestop/EB and Game Crazy) probably get 20-30 systems and they preorder probably a little more than half after their employees get their picks.

Regular retail chains (mainly Walmart, but throw in Costco, Target, and even electronics stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, and Fry's if you live near one) will probably get 40-50 consoles each (if not more). Walmart will guaranteeingly get the most consoles per shipment. Love them or hate them for their questionable hiring practices and lack of healthcare, but Walmart is the #1 retailer in the US (AFAIK) and therefore - companies give them the bulk of their retail stock and the rest is divvied up amongst the other 'retail giants'.

Go to a Walmart - you'll have no problem getting one. As for waiting in a long line or not - most likely you might see 20-30 people in line by the time you get there if you wait until, say, 11:30pm at a 24 hour Walmart...but you should still be able to walk out with a console because most likely they'll get at least 40+.

15. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

What about Zelda? People have had that preordered for, what, years now? Is it likely that Zelda can be purchased on Launch day? I would rather not go home on day 1 with Wii Sports and nothing else . . .

16. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Zelda will surely be the #1 most bought title for the system, but that doesn't mean there will be shortages there either. You've gotta safely assume that Nintendo realizes how big Zelda will be and how many people will want it, so I'm sure they're going to mass produce them with the assumption that it will sell very well. They keep upping their "consoles manufactured to date" numbers, and I would believe that they're working on making plenty copies of Zelda to go around also.

17. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I think the best idea is to find a place to pre-order Zelda and then hunt for a Wii. I think that Zelda will be harder to find than the unit it's self. That's what I did. So i have Zelda day one, the question is will i be able to play it.

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think the first week will probably be the easiest time to find one. Post thanksgiving more people will have realised it's out and be snapping them up for chrimbo presents.

19. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Reggie Fils-Aime (NOA's Big Kahuna) is hinting at a possible shortage for launch day. If there is a shortage on launch day, chances are you'll still be able to get one by the end of the year. Just don't take it for granted.

20. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah but its not going to be nearly as extreme as PS3's launch will be, if you are really set on getting a Wii, chances are you'll get one before Christmas.

What media does the Wii use? DVDs or is it some kind of propietary nintendo format?

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not sure you know. Nintendo are fans of proprietary formats, and I'm sure I read somewhere that the Wii will use "12 cm Wii Optical Disc". whether or not this is basically DVD is not known. I'm guessing it'll read from the outside in, much like the Cube did to prevent piracy. There will be a DVD video playing version released in Japan.

Other than that Nintendo never mention DVD.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Zelda...

Zelda....

Biggie Smalls...

DAMMIT!

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

From all accounts, it's a DVD. The Wii's at some of the demo parties were apparantly running on DVD-R's... of course the final software won't allow that, but it's 99% a regular DVD disc. The reasoning for the lack of DVD playback on all units was licensing costs, in order to keep costs down and profits up.

There will be plenty of Wii's at launch. As everyone says, go to Walmart around 11pm or so the night before and bring your DS... I'm also sure that there will be no shortage of Zelda. DVDs cost PENNIES to make. They can run off a copy of Zelda for every Wii built for under a million bucks. They have plenty of lead time, and they aren't going to risk the sale of a massive profit item by skimping a few dollars on DVD runs.