Wii - Online Beta Testing - date

Discussion in 'Games' started by DEXTERITY, Sep 12, 2006.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Beta testing for the Wii starts Sept 18th - Oct. 23rd so don't expect the system to release prior to that. The beta test covers Wii Connect 24, the Virtual Console and "other" online features.. When I beta tested the DS wifi we did that for almost three months until Nintendo Wi Fi was launched but that covered three different games. I guess the system could launch but then the above features won't be up and running if it did. So hope that helps in narrowing down the date.

2. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

DEXTERITY-- I meant to post this in your other Wii detail thread-- thanks for the info. Great stuff; more specific than any of the many Wii sites I have bookmarked.

3. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Damn, there goes my hope for an early launch.

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

There's still plenty of room for an early launch.

1) The Xbox launched without Live by at least a good year to year and a half
    2) DS WiFi has been up and operational for about a year now; who's to say that the Wii won't use the same architecture/server structure as the DS for its WiFi?
    3) In Xbox Live's case, the early subscribers (myself included) essentially were the "beta testers", look how well that panned out

You can argue that they have work to do with the online presence/WiiConnect24, which is true. How much work is really necessary there? Not much; it's not like they'd be the first to do it. I'm sure they have (or could) use some of the 360's online aware features and capabilities and play catch up in no time. As for the Virtual Console, that may take a little longer. I'm sure optimistically they'd like the VC to launch with the system, but offsetting it a few weeks probably wouldn't cause widespread panic or anything. Again - looking at what they'll be offering, and the system in place already with the DS's WiFi - I don't think there's much to test, really.

-Make sure the VC isn't giving out games for free (unless they're supposed to be) or overcharging
    -Put a measure in place to curb piracy of VC games (rumored to be some sort of key encryption that VC games only run on the console they were downloaded to)
    -Link up the consoles (WiiConnect24), work out the kinks

From a "on the sidelines" standpoint, there's no reason they couldn't do any of these things after the system is launched or the first few weeks beforehand. I don't think this 'work' is going to take a month +, I'd say more like a few weeks (if that).

Don't lose hope yet. :D

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Meh. They HAVE to launch with the Virtual Console in place. There's NO WAY they can delay it to post launch, imo. On the other hand, this lines up about right with previous expectations. End of Oct. beta test closes, mid-November launch. Not to surprising, really.

Thanks for the indo, Dext!

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Since the Wii has ZERO online launch titles ( :( ), the beta test of the online play may not have any affect on launch date.
    Thanks for the info!

Actually, Nintendo already said that they will.

7. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

8. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

you're welcome, no problem at all. Considering the Wii is launching with Wii connect 24 and the virtual console most likely it won't come out prior that date. but hey you never know.

I do know the first million systems "are supposed" to ship with a start up disk. I forgot the reasoning behind it. You just have to install whatever is on the disk and then everything will be up to date.. They probably added something after they started producing them..

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i want a system like icq: unique number but changeable non-unique screen name

i simply hate being stuck with some idiotic xXTakaoXx .. because somebody else was faster etc.