Wii or 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by barr08, Dec 27, 2006.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I want to buy a new gaming system now, and I'm thinking one of these two. I have had my heart set on a Wii for some time, but 360 is looking more and more appealing. I love the selection of games out for the 360 right now, like GOW, Dead Rising, etc., but would only play Zelda if I got a Wii. I'm thinking of perhaps getting a 360 now and a Wii over the summer. Any reccomendations?

2. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Get the 360. I'm a Wii man myself, but you'll have an easier time finding a 360 now than a Wii. You'll eventually end up with both, so just get the one that's easily available right now first. :)

3. p0intblank macrumors 68030

You sound like you want a 360 more, so go for that. Knock the more expensive one out of the way. :p I just got one for Christmas and I am VERY impressed with how Microsoft handled everything. The Dashboard is amazing, the HD visuals are crystal sharp, Xbox Live Marketplace is amazing (downloading demos is oh so sweet), and there's already a wide game selection.

I also have the Wii and I highly recommend it. However, the 360 does have a larger library. 360 get! :)

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'm playing the waiting game/"show me more" approach with the Wii. I like their ideas...I just want to see them followed-through.

I bought a Premium 360 with my (set aside) Wii money and couldn't be happier. The system is awesome; the total package. The online integration and fact that you can download free game demos (as well as full version Xbox Live games, plus videos, movies and tv shows now) is fantastic. The graphics are unbelievable especially on an HDTV. I'd recommend the 360 now..get a Wii next year when more is out for it. Right now the 360 is running strong with a lot of good games.

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

What you said, getting the 360 now and the Wii later, makes sense. Right now, it seems like Xbox 360 has more to offer you. Also, Wii's are extremely hard to find. Xbox Live is great, and I personally love that you can download (great) demos of games before you buy, for free. I'm pretty sure that you can keep the demo for 2 months. Just make sure you get the Premium 360, not the Core, and if you want to get Xbox Live, or any of the demos, marketplace etc., you'll need an internet connection. You can use a wired connection with ethernet, but you can also do wireless. However, you need a $100 Wireless Adapter.

6. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I will probably buy the 360 and wait on the Wii.

Side question: how much per month is xbox live?

7. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

About 4 dollars and 16 cents :D but its really a 50$ annual fee.

8. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

All 360s come with free Live Silver, which gives you the ability to download, have a friends list, and send messages.

To actually play online, you have to have Live Gold, which (depending on what you get) is (I think) $9.95/monthly, $21.95/3 months (paid in advance), or $49.95/1 year (paid in advance). You will get a free 1 month Gold trial the first time you set up your system, and many games come with 48 hour Gold trials as well.

9. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

10. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

not to drag this topic in another direction but I wouldn't mind some talk about xbox live. The Wii wi-fi will be free and the DS lite wi-fi is free... why isn't xbox live free? What does the gold account get you? Is it worth $5 a month when the Wii wi-fi will be free?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Once the system goes live, online gaming is free on the Wii.

Unless, of course, you're playing CoD3, which has no multiplayer whatsoever.

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yes its worth it, Xbox Live is more stable than anything else before it and offers much more, the fact that you pay compells Microsoft to put decent servers and decent content for it... besides 4 dollars and 16 cents a month is nothing... if you can afford a 360 and games you sure as hell can afford a 50$ annual subscription... which is worth it anyways.

I don't like free online servers... mainly because the provider has no motivation to increase quality and if servers are laggy no one can complain, its free after all, with Xbox Live, you are paying for something so Microsoft is almost obligated to give you something for that money and it shows...

That being said free is always better and hell, PC games online are free and from my experience work more smoothly (though not as integrated and purdy) than 360 games... as for downloadable content (the possibility not the actual content) and such, that should be free, the only thing that should cost is playing games, like it is now with the Xbox, servers are not cheap and you can't expect much out of a free service, especially if its meants to be integrated as a whole and for every game. PC developers only have to worry about the servers for their own game which is why they are usually good with no cost added besides the game's cost.

13. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I'd say 360 - better games atm (currently absorbed in RB6V and EM :) Although the... bouncy... girls of DOA have me now and again). Wii looks interesting, but wait till they're a) more available and b) have a bigger stack of games

Although, speaking of 360 games, DOA: Extreme 2 (the beach-vollyball/watersports game) was the chart #1 at HMV this morning...:eek:

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Gold lets you play online.
    Silver is free and includes a gamertag, friend list, messaging, and the ability to download updates, demos, movies, tv shows, whatever.

Xbox Live is moderated; cheaters and other rude gamers can be reported and subsequently banned from the service. It has voice chat.

Have you played WiFi on the DS? You get what you pay for; it's terrible. The Wii (reportedly) will have console specific codes, so that eliminates having separate codes for friends for each game, but it's still not really centralized.

I'd rather pay the $5/month for Live and have more options and more control, personally.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because the online system on the 360 is super comprehensive. Most games online, gamer ID cards etc. But they do expect you to pay an extra premium if you live in less than a perfect internet house, Wifi (as standard on Wii, DS, PSP PS3) costs a bomb. We're currently trailing a huge 100' cable throughout the house to get my bro's 360 online.

I find it funny that you find a Wii with just 1 game that you want is equal to a 360 with all it's library. :D Myself? Since I'm already kitted out for a Wii I'd get one of them, but the 360 within throwing distance from my room provides me with Tony Hawks, Dead Rising, Saints Row etc. Just depends on what you want.
    Or just go out and buy the PotentialStation 3.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It isn't centralised? I know it's not fully "out" yet, but if you get messages or events sent to you on the Wii system they will appear in games like Animal Crossing and vice versa. hmm. Especially for a service launched what, all of a month ago? Weather in games too. Seems pretty centralised to me.

I find the DS Lite to have very good internet - especially for a handheld that was never even planned to go online, and again... a handheld. Haven't you noticed how the DS hasn't got the WiFi setup built into it's firmware?

17. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

I have a DS lite and enjoy the online capabilities... however I have nothing to compare it to. I guess I'm not really sure how xbox live could be so much better besides voice chat since I would think it does the same thing as the DS lite... that being, you get on and it finds somebody or multiple people to play with.

I have a 360 and unfortunately accidentally wiped my free month of gold away. I'm not against paying the small sum for the service but I was just curious if it is worth it compared to the Wii wi-fi. I'm actually very interested in Live as a result of the DS Lite. I don't play shooters or many of the sport simulators though which seems to be what xbox live is geared toward.

Many apologies for taking the conversation this way. I should have created my own thread.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed.

Would we all prefer a FREE service. YES.

But if the best alround online system that is so well integrated and centralised requires a small subscription, then I'm more than willing to foot the bill.

I'd rather pay for a better service, than pay nothing for a weaker service.

Live on the 360 is excellent and as big a selling point for the 360 as the wii remote is for the wii.

As much good as the wii is, if it follows the DS lite then playing games online still feels far removed than it does on the 360. Having a proper friend list, invitations, video and voice messaging makes the online experience much more immersive.

19. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I know I said "centralized", what I was aiming for was "moderated" in the sense of that Microsoft owns, runs, and moderates the servers that Live operates off of. I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't own WiFi servers or not (because I have no idea), I just know that they've never moderated any of their DS games to ban the cheaters/town wreckers, etc.

AFAIK the DS was meant for WiFi from the getgo, but they didn't originally plan on a browser until the PSP's was popular and one of its exclusive features (at the time).

True, but (as I said above) it's not moderated. Who's to say whether you play a legimate person or a cheater? And if you play a cheater, there's no repercussion for that cheater to not cheat because Nintendo's WiFi service is not moderated. There's no way for you to find (for instance) cheater_paul's friend code because it's not shared or given at any time (unless Paul gives it to you elsewhere, like a message board, email, or telephone call) therefore you cannot report cheaters and Nintendo does nothing to punish cheaters.

The fact that people out there wreck towns in Animal Crossing: Wild World is the exact reason that my wife won't go online with the game; we don't want our town getting all torn up by some juvenile delinquint with nothing better to do.

Meanwhile if Viva Pinata let you visit other player's villages and cheater_paul came to your village and tore it up, you could give him feedback and report him, and most likely he'd get banned because Live is moderated. For that - I'll pay $5 for.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope, I'll dig it up later but the DS was never intended to go online. 802 was for up to 16 player games, never to connect to a router. If it was planned they would have had the correct software built into the DS rather than relying on individual games to carry the software. It also meant there was no unified friend code for the system.

May be wrong. But I read otherwise in various magazines before the DS's launch.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If that happened to my viva pinata eden, i'd hunt down the vandal, and do an eric cartman (scott tenerman episode) act of revenge on him :)

But I agree completely with you.

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The fact that, iirc, it doesn't even do 802.11b, but 802.11, supports this idea greatly - ie, short range only

23. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Well, Battle.net (pre-WoW) and Steam both are offered free, and provide similar services as Xbox live, as far as anti-cheating, etc.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If someone did tear up your AC village you simply don't save that session and remove that person off your friends list. AC isn't anonymous, you can only visit people you know.

Plus you'd think MS could offer a free online moderation service, or just use a bloody top notch anti-cheat system like Valve did with Steam that removes all possibility of hack/cheaters.

25. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I think Microsoft got it right with their Live community. Of course I've never actually seen or used it personally, so all my opinions are based upon other opinions, but it seems to be a fairly well-rounded system.

But worth $5 a month? Yeah, I would probably do it.

I have no real interest in a 360, but if Nintendo offered an online community such as that then I would probably pay for it. The small price would be worth it just for the security and moderation.

I'm generally against paying for online play, but since the $5 would be for all the games then I would be okay with that. Unlike World of Warcraft (which I would LOVE to play) that charges 15 bucks a month just to play one stinkin' game. I can't get behind that sort of thing. Just not worth it.

I do hope that the Wii online play offers a better system than what the DS currently has. Playing friends is okay on it, but I'd rather have more of a community instead of just random codes floating around.