Wii or PS2

Discussion in 'Games' started by erkanasu, Feb 18, 2007.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

I am the ultimate casual gamer..... maybe a few hours a week if at all.

ps2 $139, or wii $250....? Obviously ps 2 has an enormous library of games( + guitar heros)... What do u guys think?

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Well, as you said the PS2 has a large library of games to choose from (I can even recommend a few if you tell me your preferences :p) but the Wii is a next-gen platform, with an amazing potential for playability. But the game pickings are slim. If you're not in a hurry, wait until a few more games are released and see how you like them. Personally, my vote is for the PS2 :)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ultimate weapon in casual gaming?
    Virtual Console. Oh, and Wii Sports.

Wii's getting Guitar Hero too (IIRC) and DDR. so it's all there, or will be.

Honestly if I were you I'd wait for both. PS2 needs a price drop for a 2001 console and the Wii needs more games.

4. darkwing macrumors 65816

I see it kind of two ways. You can spend half the money for a Wii and have the huge library of games, and there's lots of great releases coming out for it this year (but they'll trickle away.) Or you can spend twice as much for that and get a Wii with lots of future releases, next gen controls, and graphics on par with the ps2. (ack!)

I doubt you'll see a PS2 price drop (would be nice though!) as Jimmi mentioned because Sony will milk the huge sales still going on for it. If I were you I'd try to find a used PS2 for under $100 right now and get a Wii in the next 6 months to a year because we'll have a better idea of what's coming out for it. I'm still looking at getting one when Brawl comes out, but I'd personally get Twilight Princess for my GameCube.

Ever consider a used GameCube? Lots of great games and cheap!

5. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

Great responses...

Honestly though I would never own two consoles. One would be plenty for me, oh and Ive owned a GC before.. gathered a lot of dust and I sold it ( hence hardcore casual). Just looking for a system thats fun to play with your drunk friends for an hour or soo... then take off for the bars ;)

6. darkwing macrumors 65816

If you want something "casual" then just get the PS2. I was thinking, and frankly it's cheap, and a ton of the games you can get in bins for less than $10.

7. pcypert macrumors 6502

I'm waiting on the Wii till this summer or later for all the reasons mentioned. I can't wait to get it (especially for Simon's Quest if they do a VC of it)....but right now there's not enough for me. I like short mini type games...but even those aren't there for me yet. The controls are cool, but right now they hinder as many games as they make.

I'm really happy with my 360 for the time being. Just wish we were getting more platformers...

Paul

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I vote the Wii for that. That is exactly what a group of our friends get together and do. We'll play Wii for awhile while drinking and go out. We'll return from the bars and play some Wii. Instead of playing cards or darts all night while hanging out and having some drinks, we throw some Wii in there. We've had up to 8 people hopping in and out of Wii Sports while we drink, eat some pizza, and hang out. Great social fun :)

You'll have the Virtual Console and any GameCube games you may want plus Wii games. It will cost you more though as you'll need to buy another Wiimote and Nunchuk.

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

10. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

wii graphics on par with ps2? :confused:

gamecube had better graphics than the ps2, and wii definitely has better graphics than the gamecube; obviously not to the extent of other next gen systems, but the wii most certainly has better graphics than any last gen systems.

as for which system to get, i'd say its a toss up. for the casual gamer, wii has the virtual console, wii sports, and other games like that, but it's also twice the price of a ps2, and if your not going to be playing it that much, I don't know if you'd want to spend a whole lot.

11. zim macrumors 65816

zim

My vote is for the Wii. The Wii has a great library coming out and the online shop delivers new, classic, games every Monday. The online shop will let you play NES, TurboGfx 16 and Genesis games. Even though the PS2 games have life in them they will slowly begin to disappear, games don't stay remain in publication for very long, you might find yourself having to buy used.

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I vote Wii. My fiance and I are definitely not gamers, and that's exactly why we got the Wii. We have a PS2 as well, but only for one game that he likes (it seriously only gets played maybe once every 3 months). The Wii is MUCH more fun for the non-gamer - totally interactive, easy controls in games like Wii Sports, and is a blast among friends.

Not to mention all the extras: the vote channel is sweet, the news, internet, messaging your friends, weather... + loads more still to come, apparently. And the virtual console is an amazing flashback - we play Super Mario Bros. all the time.

I'd say it was definitely worth the money.

13. ericsthename macrumors regular

14. darkwing macrumors 65816

SSX Blur on the Wii looks the same as SSX on my PS2. And the Wii has last gen graphics. Like it or not.

But yes, I feel my GC looks nicer than my PS2 as well. It's a good system and it's a shame it didn't take off as well as the PS2 did.

15. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Hands down the PS2. It just has way too much great affordable software to pass up (that includes all of PS1 and PS2 libraries). To me it's worth it for Guitar Hero alone. Pick one up second hand for really cheap.

The Wii is still too young to know its future and has tremendous potential but as of right now has few software titles and Nintendo is still fine tuning their online services. Plus they're very difficult to find :)

16. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

you've obviously not read his comments.
    but thanks for the totally unhelpful reply. :rolleyes:

17. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

well, sure, but I don't think any game has reached the wii's potential yet (or tried to for that matter), and probably wont for some time (metroid perhaps?). you can't judge the graphics of a system based on a single game.

18. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I saw your response about owning a GC before, but I still vote get a Gamecube for $50 and half a dozen used games for what the PS2 costs. Then, in a year or two pick up a Wii and you can still enjoy all of the GC games. A few suggestions for GC would be:

Resident Evil 4
    Super Smash Bros.
    Zelda: WindWaker
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rouge Squadron 2
    Killer 7
    Eternal Darkness
    Ikaruga
    Paper Mario - The Thousand Year Door
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    Viewtiful Joe
    Soul Caliber 2
    Tales of Phantasia
    Fire Emblem
    Pikman 2

Oh and by the way, the Wii should have quite a bit better graphics than the PS2, all of the Wii games that are out now are rush jobs or ports. I have a Wii because between new games, the VC, and GC games there is more than I have time to play anyway. If money isn't that important, the Wii is the ultimate casual console. If it is, the GC is a bargain right now and games can be used with the Wii later. The PS2 is not much more casual than the GC and costs twice as much.

19. ninewhereman macrumors member

I would go with the PS2 right now. You can get it a lot cheaper, the controls are cheaper and the games are much cheaper. You could probably get enough goodness for the PS2, at the price of the wii console.

When PS2 games start dwindling and you find a lack of stuff to play, then pick up a Wii. You will get a cheaper price, and some games you wanna play will be much cheaper.

20. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Those are the only games on that list I'd recommend hands down (Haven't played the other ones except RE4) Soul Caliber is by far the best fighting game I've played, be it on the dreamcast, GC or PS2.

And the last comment was spot on. Early games tend to suck, mature games released well after the console's release tend to be much better. Just look at God of War for the PS2. Incredible game on an "aging" console

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You won't go wrong with either system, but keep in mind that if you buy a Wii, you will probably spend as much (if not more) time playing Gamecube titles than Wii titles. Therefore, if money is a big issue go with the PS2, if money doesn't matter much, and you think the Wiimote looks cool, buy a Wii and keep your mind open to Gamecube titles.

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Definitely a Wii. Absolutely the best drunk console. :eek: Some critic comparing the Wii vs a PS3, mentioned it was like beer. He was right on soo many levels. But it's by no means a cheap beer. :)

I like the PS2, but not for the price. I'd rather buy a DS Lite for that price, which is a system any casual gamer should own. Some of the PS2 games are are on their way to the Wii, or are in talks, so I figured I would hold off and see what happens.

There are tons of Wii games coming soon. Some good ones in April. I'm still enjoying Zelda, Wii Sports and MonkeyBall and I've had my Wii since November. The VC games are absolutely great. It's worth a Wii purchase just for that aspect.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Darkwing, FOR SHAME! Spreading complete FUD about the Wii's graphics. I don't know if I should be annoyed by your comment, or feel pity for you, considering it was so asinine.

Unless one is a lefty, Zelda TP should only be played on the Wii.

<]=)

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

PS2 has the bigger game library, simply due to age.

Wii on the other hand will have the largest library of pick-up-and-play casual games. Stuff like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Excite Truck, etc...as well as the hardcore stuff like Zelda.

I'd probably go with the Wii. But that's just me.

24. pcypert macrumors 6502

Don't forget that, used, one could get a bunch of games for as much as the VC game downloads. That's a pretty good deal. I love systems at the end of their life rather than the beginning. Just saw a guy selling his PS2 and 25 games here for around 150 US...

Paul

25. darkwing macrumors 65816

I am a lefty! :p

And it isn't FUD. The Wii is last gen graphics. Everyone knows that. All those critics of the PS3 who say you can get graphics that are "good enough" for less than half the price should have just gotten a PS2 for half the price. The graphics are almost the same, and there's like 200 times the games. Silly me. I'm assuming Wii owners can afford logical thinking. :)