Wii or Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Games' started by gadgetgirl85, Nov 10, 2006.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I am currently tossing up whether to get an XBOX 360 or wait for the Wii. I don't really have the money for the 360 but I've heard the Wii graphics are quite sub par. Can any 360 users out there give me an insight on gameplay etc? Do you have to pay to play Xbox live?

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Wii's graphics are better than the cube's but still not on the level of the 360 and PS3. And it costs I think 50 a year to play online with the 360.

www.google.com

3. ClassicFitness macrumors member

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wii is on it's launch generation and it's initial games aren't a great spokeman of its potential power as the biggest game Zelda is basically the same game as the Cube. I think it's going to be 12-18 months before developers push the wii, but even then it wont be as sharp as a 360/PS3.. But if your only on Standard Definition TV you wont notice too much difference between Wii & 360...

Xbox Live is free as a 'silver' account which allows access to the marketplace, demos, trailers etc... but its $50 for Gold membership in order to play online with others. I actually think the price will fall next year for live when the competitors are offering cheaper or free services. But even at $50 I thinks its worth it.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Go check out some gaming sites. http://ign.com/ or http://gamespot.com/ would be a good start. I own a 360 and am quite happy with it, there was a game drought over the last few months but that is well and truly over. I haven't used a Wii yet so I refuse to make any judgements on it. Graphically though it is no where near the standard of the 360. Not that should influence your decision if you like the idea of the new Wii control system.

6. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm not joking. I would have preferred an opinion from people who have played 360 and what they think of it

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I play on my brothers and mates 360 frequently. Nice machine but theres no way I'm giving Microsoft £270 for the privilege of one. They are certainly coming into their own now. I find theres no "Halo" game yet, the sort of game that made me rush out and buy an original Xbox. I'm going to need something very fun, very new to do that. I already have a wired Xbox 360 controller being used for my PC controller, so I'm a step forward hah.

Bundled WiFi adapter please Microsoft. You didn't put one inside the console and I require one. But not for ****ing £50 when you can get a PC one 1/5 of that price.

8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Since I got gears of war the other day - I can say for the first time since playing halo1 and 2 this game is good enough to go get a 360 for - just my opinion

9. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

WIFI adapter not a concern because I have cable internet and my cable modem is close to my tv and my wireless router is right there for me to run a ethernet cable from the 360 to the router

I have also seen 3rd party wifi adapter that will work with the 360 for $50-$75

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Great for you, but that can't be assumed for all users.

I'm going for the Wii...and I plan to get a 360 later, when some better games are out, and its cheaper. The Wii looks different, and I'm ready for that! Not to say I won't love a 360 when I get it, but to me there are not enough good game s for it. Halo 2(really and xBox games but it rocks on 360 too) and Gears of War the really the only games I'd buy(My battlefront but thats on many systems)

Wii is going to be cheap, and looks like fun, and the game line up looks great. And I'm pretty big Nintendo fan.

Of course getting a Wii will be harder then getting a 360 this year, but still I'd say do able to get a Wii.

11. Mr B macrumors member

Mr B

I'm stuck in the same quandry. My instincts tell me I want a wii more because I just want the 'fun' factor and I am big on nostalgia, and the gameplay with the remotes sounds great. On the other hand, I really want fifa, gears of war, and especially Oblivion (I worked on the making of doc, so I feel I should play it right?)

So...If you were only gonna get one, which one? I can't decide :(

12. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I already have a 360 and will be buying a Wii. These are 2 different types of gaming machines:
    360 - power, graphics, media
    Wii - innovation, price, tons of vintage games

I for one will enjoy both of these systems.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I guess it depends what type of games you like. I am very pleased with my 360. Oblivion, Burnout Revenge, Call of Duty 2 and Dead Rising are all great games.

Also with Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Call of Duty 3 and Brothers in Arms coming out soon (or already out) things are looking really good for the 360.

Thats not to mention Fable 2 and Stranglehold (which looks really good). It looks like I'm going to be poor from buying so many games :).

14. ClassicFitness macrumors member

Well sorry for my sarcasm. I wrote that because I deeply think that 360 and Wii can't be compared. PS3 and 360 can be compare, but the Wii is so different from all the angle, it is in a different category on it's own. You know, PS3 and 360 are engage in a war with games becoming more and more complex and taking hundreds of hours to finish. This have the consequences to afraid new gamers and to loose some who are already involve in the gaming world. And what is awesome with Nintendo, is the fact that they bring a completly new dimension to the industry. So I deeply think that Nintendo is the company to watch and it could do some serious damage in a near future. Also, the Wii will cost about half the price of the PS3 or the 360.

I've played a couple of times on the 360, and for me, it does feel the same as playing on a PC.
    Also, I don't know if you are use to podcast, but there is a great article about this subject in the podcast “This week in the Economist” of the 06-10-27. (On iTunes;) )

Hope this will help :eek:

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just realised...

... Get whatever you want. Come 4-6 years you'll be bored ******** of it.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

A bit dark don't you think jimmi? Having a bad day?

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You might say that.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nah. I just realised how rubbish all the console war junk is. Get whatever, has a shed load of fun, realise you bought the wrong thing (whatever you get), then on come the console sequels again.

* link expired by the time I posted the console thing. but I'm not sure which I want now :) enter confusion.

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

just like i am bored **** with SNES, or NES, or genesis, or dreamcast?

actually wait...I am not bored with either of those 4, and wont be bored of the Wii in 4-6 years, since i will have about 4-6 years worth of NES, SNES, and genesis games. Not to mention all the Wii games.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ya..I went at looked at jimmi's post for the day and saw that. Well as they say "Plenty of fish in the sea":)

I'd have to agree..I love my NGC, it tons of fun, and I still play a game I got with it from day 1. And my GBA, while I don't play my first one I play my Mirco or DS using Game Boy Advance games, and they are still fun.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's the thing. I'm probably the only one who feels it but right now, I don't care for my Cube. Just as I didn't care for my N64 as that was about to fade to the Cube. But then they come back about half way through the next machine. Maybe it's just me... Hype for the next gen console? likely.

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i still play my cube when i have the time. Chibi Robo, Mario Strikers, Teen Titans

Now the Xbox on the other hand I don't play at all. It serves as a stand for my Lucky Bamboo

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yea. My Xbox hasn't been in use since I dropped my TV for a bigger monitor. The media centre role has been taken over by the PowerBook/iMac now. Still it was a great media centre.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

X360 is the one....the games are good and much better than last gen. xbox is doing big things this time around and I like that.

I hated the original xbox.

Bless

25. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm thinking about a 360 I just need to find a good package if I can. I live in Australia so any Aussies know of a good deal for the 360? EB games is $630 and a game I believe